Do we want a referendum?

Do we want a referendum?

• Total voters
What do you think the real problem is?

UK hasn't got sufficient products the rest of the world is interested in and big industry has too much influence on the government.

sorry i read that wrong

Do we want a reformation?

no brainer really

UK hasn't got sufficient products the rest of the world is interested in and big industry has too much influence on the government.

True, but a bit broad-brush. Some manufacturing is doing well - Jaguar-Land Rover for example, selling to manufacturing powerhouses like China. A lot though was left to stagnate as too much reliance was placed on the financial sector. The UK has one of the least regulated in the world hence the big US banks moving in, taking advantage, then going bust. Their actions would not have been allowed back in the US.

Hence the 'unexplained' 5p a litre rise in petrol prices - probably more a result of traders rather than anything else. But if the Bank of England can get away with it...

...after all QE is, effectively, deflation. The BoE can't be seen to collude with the Government in that regard - EU rules - so rather than buy bonds direct, they buy through traders. The effect is the same.

Big industry negotiates its tax bills rather than paying a fair share - their businesses are global while the countries they operate in have national rules so they go for the best deal.

Then, of course, there's us. Consumers driven by price naturally head for the best deals, provided by cheap labour abroad.

We would need to export considerably less if we imported less. The UK does rather well in exports actually but we import a load of stuff we could easily make here.

I believe in smoke and mirrors more than I believe in the UKIP propaganda on this thread? :Laugh:

I'm not convinced any party, or government, has an answer they would be prepared to implement. Governmental transparency and strong leadership has been sadly lacking for decades. Now the genie is out of the bottle...

True, but a bit broad-brush.

Same as saying that leaving europe will solve all of UK problems.

Some manufacturing is doing well - Jaguar-Land Rover for example, selling to manufacturing powerhouses like China.
Suffered a lot when under UK management, got taken over by Ford and from what I hear they were a nightmare to work with. Despite ford investing billions quality was shit on x-type (built in liverpool in ex-ford factory). Finally sold to an indian company who have finally turned it around by getting rid of some management. Recent news for hiring 800 people failed to mentioned that they are 1 year contractors.

A lot though was left to stagnate as too much reliance was placed on the financial sector. The UK has one of the least regulated in the world hence the big US banks moving in, taking advantage, then going bust.Their actions would not have been allowed back in the US.
It pretty well know that the UK is the wild west of the finance world and the money laundering capital of the world. But saying that, with it UK would be ****ed, 40% of UK exports is in the service industry.

Hence the 'unexplained' 5p a litre rise in petrol prices - probably more a result of traders rather than anything else.
They do because they can, same reason we pay more same good then elsewhere. Welcome to the world of supply and demand.

But if the Bank of England can get away with it...

...after all QE is, effectively, deflation. The BoE can't be seen to collude with the Government in that regard - EU rules - so rather than buy bonds direct, they buy through traders. The effect is the same.

Big industry negotiates its tax bills rather than paying a fair share - their businesses are global while the countries they operate in have national rules so they go for the best deal.

Then, of course, there's us. Consumers driven by price naturally head for the best deals, provided by cheap labour abroad.

We would need to export considerably less if we imported less. The UK does rather well in exports actually but we import a load of stuff we could easily make here.
We can't easily make stuff here because its too expensive compared to child labour abroad.

Ooerr, not trying to score brownie points here - hides under stairs...

In summary, you are correct. So, they're 1 year contractors? The way it works these days - no worries about redundancy payments and crap like that. But 800 people get work for a year...job for life has gone.

The Wild West of finance is good? It cost £375 billion (so far) - we paid. I suspect we'll have to inflate out of it but since I can't prove that, I'll shut up!

As for supply and demand (petrol) - bollocks, demand is down so the price should fall? Why has it not? Could it be because traders manipulated the price to secure a 'hedge'? Can't prove that...

Child labour is cheap? True. Hope the buyers sleep nights.

No offence M8, just my view.

Ooerr, not trying to score brownie points here - hides under stairs...
Well we can't all have the same POV, lol

In summary, you are correct. So, they're 1 year contractors? The way it works these days - no worries about redundancy payments and crap like that. But 800 people get work for a year...job for life has gone.
tbh, I don't think your employment rights kick in until 2 years these days so they could get rid of them after a year if they wanted, it would just be bad publicity.

The Wild West of finance is good? It cost £375 billion (so far) - we paid. I suspect we'll have to inflate out of it but since I can't prove that, I'll shut up!
But without de-regulation attracting (and still keeping) financial companies trading over here, the country would have gone bankrupt when north sea oil ran out and manufacturing was shipped off to far east. Just as a measure, UK population is 1/3 the size of Germany yet our financial sector is 50% bigger. Who knows that £375bn or whatever would have been as there would have been some level of recession regardless of regulation. Reality is that people/companies over borrowed and the banks were happy to lend it to them. Shock horror, with a failing economy (And lets not blame this on europe) loans couldn't be paid back. Of course there is more to it then that but its one of the fundamental causes of the global failure. So subsequently, borrowing becomes expensive if not impossible and the economy stalls. QE is a way of getting the money moving again. I guess we will never know what would have happened if the goverment had done nothing.

Child labour is cheap? True. Hope the buyers sleep nights.
yeap I am pretty certain people sleep just fine. I would like to think that people are not stupid, its pretty well known that working conditions in the far east are shit and they have little regard for the environment. All this stuff about foxconn, nike trainers, etc is just the tip of the iceberg. Fairtrade bananas, chocolate, coffee, etc is available in this country where it is supposedly produced without exploiting the farmers, how well do you think it sells compared to non-fair trade stuff.

UK is facing an energy price hike to fund alternative energy production, do you think china or india is willing to do the same ? There is a think about 'doing the right thing' but are people willing to dip their hands in their pockets to fund it ?

UK is facing an energy price hike to fund alternative energy production, do you think china or india is willing to do the same ? There is a think about 'doing the right thing' but are people willing to dip their hands in their pockets to fund it ?

It is the EU that imposes targets for "green" energy production :) (read: "subsidy scams"). Targets for carbon emissions, green energy etc. are all set by the EU, which is helping to destroy competitive business in the UK. The carbon contribution from the UK is very small relative to China and India. Like the Lynemouth power and steel smelter for example.

@oneman, Sadly, you are correct...

...and I don't really blame Europe. Some things are stupid but overall...we are better off in than out.

It is the EU that imposes targets for "green" energy production :) (read: "subsidy scams"). Targets for carbon emissions, green energy etc. are all set by the EU, which is helping to destroy competitive business in the UK. The carbon contribution from the UK is very small relative to China and India. Like the Lynemouth power and steel smelter for example.

Not saying the carbon contribution is bigger then China or India, just saying that UK is putting itself at a disadvantage trying to reduce its footprint. As for the standards, I believe the standards were agreed at Kyoto protocol and would apply regardless of being in the EU or not. UK introduced CRC to help them meet the target, again outside the EU. And I have thank you for the £1k a year I get subsiding my solar panels.

Couldn't agree more with you.

Ahh, this wasn't what I replying too.
My phone has obviously glitched lol

Back