Do Waiters or Waitresses really only get minimum basic wage ?

Lanstrom

Inactive User
Reaction score
My father-in-law is always insistant on leaving a decent tip (eg he left £7 on a £50 bill last sunday at the harvester) because he says the serving staff only get minimum wage. My way of thinking is that the girl did no more than the minimum required to get her job done and it took her 10 mins to bring our drinks after we ordered them so she deserved bugger all as a tip.

I have to earn and pay taxes on my wages so I don't think its right to leave them tips ... what do you think ?

Think its depends on what type of retaurant and type of waiter will determine their wage.

I do believe in tipping IF you get good service it should not be just a automatic given at end of a meal, taxi ride, car cleaning etc.

£7 on £50 is no bad in the usa you usually look at 20% in restaurants and in bars they expect a buck per every round you get but in some place in the states ppl do only work for tips. now if said waiter got £7 of say 10 tables per night then on top of a minimum wage and tax free it a not bad wee earner.

Also should check menu to see if service charge is included if so you shouldnt leave a tip.

... I have to earn and pay taxes on my wages so I don't think its right to leave them tips ... what do you think ?
Tips are supposed to be taxed, so are comparable to you and I being paid a bonus.

Prior to October 2009 it was actually legal, and common practice, to include tips and gratuities as part of the minimum wage calculation. This meant that the hourly rate for some service staff (including hairdressers) was technically below the minimum wage.

Many places pool tips between who was on staff on the night - normally just "front of house" (maître d’ , waiters, waitresses and bar staff) and kitchen staff (chef, "busboy", washers etc), but some managers are cheeky enough to take a slice too.

Mind you, that's not to say I always leave a tip...

Thats the problem, the person your tipping could be being shared with others who are not so good at their work.
Most hairdressers get good money, but yet we tip them for 10 minutes work.

Not sure what would happen though if their hourly rate was below minimum wage and they didn't get any tips, does the employer have to make it up?

Catering and hospitality industry is one of the lowest paid. I have worked in a indian restaurant and if you work out the hours and pay it was below minimum wage. So I generally do tip unless it was particular bad service. As somebody else mentioned tips are supposed to be taxable but I suspect if its cash they just split the money without declaring it. What does annoy me is when places automatically add on up to 20% to the bill, especially if you are in a larger party.

Its quite different from the US where tipping is expected, I don't think it happens all the time here.

Back