Dm800 rev k tuner with 16v fix but still faulty

pootas

Inactive User
Reaction score
So after months by being f*cked about BCT they finally replace my DM800. All good I think plug it after flashing and all works. Plug in 20db inline amp and it's all working....Or so I thought

As soon as tuner gets warm I start to lose channels such as Sky 1HD, Channel 4 HD, Sky Sports etc etc. I lose both HD AND SD channels.

Spoke to Linsa who was the most unhelpful pr*ck I've ever come across from the start. They now say they no longer work for BCT and don't wanna know. I've taken the box apart and the tuner is a rev k ALPS with the 16v Capacitor fix already applied but obviously it isn't working.

I've taken the internal fan out as it was so noisy but have ordered a 30mm Evercool and Zalman resistor cable in the meantime. I am using a 2xfan cooling plate to cool the box which would appear to be working as the HDD temp is registering 26c.

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions of how to sort this box and I'm literally on my last feckin nerve with it!!!

Can you not buy a compatible original tuner that works ?

I'm in the same boat at the min mate, but my tuner is a Rev J one with no mods. Just ordered my 16v capacitor this morning......

without counting the time and stress this box has caused, how much has it actually cost you m8? originally buying it, postage for returns, having to buy extra fans, etc, etc

without counting the time and stress this box has caused, how much has it actually cost you m8? originally buying it, postage for returns, having to buy extra fans, etc, etc

Originally cost circa £170, Postage in total was £36, Fans have cost me circa £10 so TOTAL cost is £216.. So still cheaper than a Original DM800 but probably twice the fookin stress too....

This box is pickling my head!

I've been doing some research and have found the following:

Box turned on from cold in the morning works perfectly with no glitching on any channels for approx 15mins.

Once heated i have minor glitches from C4hd, Sly sports 1 hd and sly real lives hd (11798 H). Discovery hd, sly arts 1 hd, sci fi hd and disney cinemagic hd are unwatchable (12324 V).

If i put the fan on and cool the box 12324 V becomes perfect, almost all other hd channels disappear and i lose a lot of SD channels too. if i remove the fan and leave for about 30 mins all SD and HD channels come back and I am at my previous position. could the fan be cooling the box too much?

@pootas. try removing your fan for a while and see if your sd channels come back. I have a feeling that mine is causing much more trouble than good. I too think that the capacitor they've fitted isn't great and am thinking of changing it. what is the recommended one?

I've sorted mine....

After fiddling with tuner ie replugging etc it still wasn't working...I was considering replacing the capacitor with a decent one when I remembered the old echo # > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude command....

After a bit of fiddling I've found echo 2 > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude works perfectly for me...Currently sat here watching Sky1HD which would not work earlier...

Im considering removing the 20db inline amp to see if that works but as the old saying goes if it aint broke....

Just worried that the 20db amp may cause some issues to the tuner...

I've sorted mine....

After fiddling with tuner ie replugging etc it still wasn't working...I was considering replacing the capacitor with a decent one when I remembered the old echo # > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude command....

After a bit of fiddling I've found echo 2 > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude works perfectly for me...Currently sat here watching Sky1HD which would not work earlier...

Im considering removing the 20db inline amp to see if that works but as the old saying goes if it aint broke....

Just worried that the 20db amp may cause some issues to the tuner...

I had a 20db amp connected to mine and got basically nothing at all. should have mentioned that before!! with your new setup are c4hd, sly sports 1 hd, dicovery hd etc working?

Last edited:
Yeh all working fine....

DM800 from BCT...rev k tuner with cap fix... 20db inline amp... and echo command set at 2...

How do you check what echo your currently at, and how do you issue the echo command to change it ?

it may be worth trying it without the amp m8, as its is possible to saturate a tuner with too much signal, which can be as bad as not enough signal

Funny you should say that as I was tidying all the cables behind TV today and took the inline 20db amp out and fook me it's fine!!! Which is weird as fook all has changed from yesterday apart from using that echo 2 > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude command...

I noticed when using this command anything over 3 causes glitching

Funny you should say that as I was tidying all the cables behind TV today and took the inline 20db amp out and fook me it's fine!!! Which is weird as fook all has changed from yesterday apart from using that echo 2 > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude command...

I noticed when using this command anything over 3 causes glitching

i take it you still have your fan running on the box?? I changed my setup to have the inline amp back in and the fan running and tried the echo 2 comman. def not as much glitching at the min on ss1 of c4hd but discovery etc still as bad. might try another few echo commands to see if it makes any difference.

cheers

Anyone ?

Would like to try this :)

Thanks

Telnet the box and issue this command:

cat /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude

It will then show you your current setting with a load of zero's infront of it mate

Telnet the box and issue this command:

cat /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude

It will then show you your current setting with a load of zero's infront of it mate

Sorry to sound dumb here, but how do you Telnet to the box ?

Thanks mate

Ok, But how do you change it then??

Assuming you will issue the commands:

echo 1 > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude
echo 2 > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude
echo 3 > /proc/stb/frontend/0/tone_amplitude

etc

To telnet open a command box and then use:

telnet xxxxxx where xxxxx is the ip of your box
login which is normally root and dreambox and then just issue the commands as you have said...

Once you find a good one you need to save it to /etc/init.d/bootup so it will execute at startup

Back