@digi/Pinky ....sky card

logic_187

Inactive User
Reaction score
with my desire to have ever more HD content on the cheap, i've got a question regarding a sky card. I notice that on the SKY freesat service they offer CH4HD, i've seen a lot of cheap sky cards for sale at certain places and was wondering if they can be used to get this service.

Do the cards need to be paired to a paticular reciever? can i use an ex subbed card? What happens when a person stops their sub is the card active or dead?

Or can i get any card and slap it into my Dragon CAM to get the freesat service from SKY.

any information would be good

thanks

What will I need to view the Channel 4 HD service?
The Channel 4 HD service will be available on channel 140 via Sky HD only, so you will need to have a Sky HD box and viewing card, as well as an HD ready TV to view
The launch of 4HD means you can view the complete Channel 4 schedule and enjoy a high definition experience whenever it is available.
The channel is a simulcast of the core Channel 4 schedule with a proportion of programmes produced and transmitted in the HD format. Channel 4 is committed to increasing its investment in HD production and the proportion of its schedule transmitted in high definition over time.

4HD is currently available to subscribers of Sky HD, but will be made available on other platforms in the future. 4HD is the first full-schedule HD channel launched by a terrestrial broadcaster.
Channel 4 - 4HD

The cards arent paired so will work in any digibox, and you are able to use an ex-subs card or a purchased ftv card. When a subs card is disconnected it remains 'live' for free-to-view (ie ch4HD an some others), but if its out of signal for a long while it can need several hours to re-activate.

You can use the card in your dragon but you will still need a sky box to update the card, as the dragon can only read the card and not write any updates. The digibox can be standard def, it will still update fine.

Be careful of cheap 2nd hand cards as they may be totally de-active, dead or blocked for various reasons. Many people buy a card, phone sky to get it changed to their address & postcode, then sky kill the card and say they need to pay £20 as they are not entitled to use one issued to someone else. So make sure you buy one that is working, or just pay £20 and buy one directly from sky.

In any case, yes the ftv cards will clear ch4-hd. :)

got a few here if you still need one free of course they were x subs and were active by myself just left them in the stb and they activate ch5 and others tried to sell them on ebay but listing kept getting pulled copyright infringement blah blah

Last edited:
The cards arent paired so will work in any digibox, and you are able to use an ex-subs card or a purchased ftv card. When a subs card is disconnected it remains 'live' for free-to-view (ie ch4HD an some others), but if its out of signal for a long while it can need several hours to re-activate.

You can use the card in your dragon but you will still need a sky box to update the card, as the dragon can only read the card and not write any updates. The digibox can be standard def, it will still update fine.

Be careful of cheap 2nd hand cards as they may be totally de-active, dead or blocked for various reasons. Many people buy a card, phone sky to get it changed to their address & postcode, then sky kill the card and say they need to pay £20 as they are not entitled to use one issued to someone else. So make sure you buy one that is working, or just pay £20 and buy one directly from sky.

In any case, yes the ftv cards will clear ch4-hd. :)

so what your saying is i can fone sky and get another card mines has the yellow house but ive left sky about 4 years now?so if i fone them and say io want a fta sky card i can get one?but how do you update it if i dont have sky box?can i update it in dauhgters or does it last a year and i need a new one ?

just stick it in any sky box would leave it 24 hours on sky news if its been out for years m8 just keep checking ch5 if it clears then its active

Last edited:
You can phone sky and order a card, thats no problem - 08442 410 595 you just ask for a new freesatfromsky card or free-to-view card, and pay the £20.
However, to activate it you do need to have a digibox and will have to give the serial number of that.
Then it will also need updates to keep it working, which some receivers/equipment can do and some cant.

The cards dont just last a year, they last many years or until a card change etc. Current cards must have been working for about 5 years-ish?

@pinky you say you can update the card in a reciever, now does it have to be the official one or could i theoretically use a tm9100? getting an official one isnt a problem but want to keep my clutter to a minimum

thanks

Yes the tm9100 updates the card, just use cccam. You still need a digibox for first activation, but if you buy a card already activated like Fearona or Maca have offered, then thats not needed.

Yes the tm9100 updates the card, just use cccam. You still need a digibox for first activation, but if you buy a card already activated like Fearona or Maca have offered, then thats not needed.

can i do it with my daughters?she has sky+ in 2 rooms but ordinary sky in her bedroom?

cheers pinky thats the info i needed ;-), time to do a little playing about when i am in receipt of the goods

can i do it with my daughters?she has sky+ in 2 rooms but ordinary sky in her bedroom?

all right mate i dont quite understand what your saying, could you elaborate a bit more as she already has sky and doing what i'm doing wont really benefit her.

what i'm trying to do is get freesat from sky, but i dont have the card etc but do have a TM9100, so all i have to do is get a card which doesnt have a subcription and this should give me freesat from SKY with my TM9100

all right mate i dont quite understand what your saying, could you elaborate a bit more as she already has sky and doing what i'm doing wont really benefit her.

what i'm trying to do is get freesat from sky, but i dont have the card etc but do have a TM9100, so all i have to do is get a card which doesnt have a subcription and this should give me freesat from SKY with my TM9100

lol thats what am trying to do do lol i have a openmedia box and i was wondering i used to be with sky years ago and have a yellow house card but i took it to be dead so i was wondering if i bought another card of sky
1 would i need to activate
2 how could i as i dont have a sky box
3 could i get the daughter to order one and activate it in hers

@Notanotherone, I'm not sure how many times you want me to answer? :)

## If you order a new card, 1)Yes you will have to activate it in a sky box; 2)If you dont have a sky box you will need to get one; 3)If your daughter has a spare box, then yes she can order 1 > even if she already has sky or sky+ or HD or whatever.

[If she already has a card registered to a box she may get asked why she no longer uses that subs card in that box; so she will have to make up some rubbish about awaiting newer box to be set up for the existing card, so will call back etc but still wants the ftv activated asap, or whatever excuse you want to say but this is only if they question]

## If you have an old expired subs card, it will likely update by leaving it in a box with signal for several hours, so you may not need to buy one.

So hopefully this reply makes it clearer?

-------------

Guys do you realise you can already get most channels free anyway with a non-sky box? You will now only need the card for 'Five-US, Fiver, Sky3' as everything else is free. Ch4-HD needs a card too, but you wont get that with a tm9100 anyway logic187 because its HD.

@Notanotherone, I'm not sure how many times you want me to answer? :)

## If you order a new card, 1)Yes you will have to activate it in a sky box; 2)If you dont have a sky box you will need to get one; 3)If your daughter has a spare box, then yes she can order 1 > even if she already has sky or sky+ or HD or whatever.

[If she already has a card registered to a box she may get asked why she no longer uses that subs card in that box; so she will have to make up some rubbish about awaiting newer box to be set up for the existing card, so will call back etc but still wants the ftv activated asap, or whatever excuse you want to say but this is only if they question]

## If you have an old expired subs card, it will likely update by leaving it in a box with signal for several hours, so you may not need to buy one.

So hopefully this reply makes it clearer?

-------------

Guys do you realise you can already get most channels free anyway with a non-sky box? You will now only need the card for 'Five-US, Fiver, Sky3' as everything else is free. Ch4-HD needs a card too, but you wont get that with a tm9100 anyway logic187 because its HD.

lol yes m8 yours was clear and i understood it ,the post was for the benifit of logic_187 i think i was talking my usual drivel and got him confused :roflmao:

pinkhelmets;1395887 ------------- Guys do you realise you can already get most channels free anyway with a non-sky box? You will now only need the card for 'Five-US said:
Thanks Pinky i know that ......just wanted to try it really, and wanted to see if i can pick up ch4HD with my tv's freesat tuner and use the dragon cam and card.

TBH its probably more effort than its worth as i would have to keep on putting the card back in the Reciever to update, but i thought i'd try it for experience ;-) . Thats if i can get the card to work in the first instance!! I'm probably doing something wrong or its just taking longer to update. I'm running CCAM and have the card in the CI slot on the reciever. I think i'll wait for a few hours.

Back