Diesel Quality - there is a difference (for me anyways)

audiobookman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals

I thought i would post this to see what other people think.
I have always run my 1.9 diesel stilo multiwagon on BP / Asda mixture (depending whats the cheapest).
Overall im getting an average of 59mpg, on the run with bp ultimate i have seen 67mpgs!!!!
Anyways, myself and the mrs are real roller coaster fans and do anything to get to the theme parks as often as possible, last year we hit alton towers 11 times.
Now my car is a large family car but very economical after i had it professionally tuned (and did i mention bloomming quick for a diesel lol)
On every trip i never went under 1/2 tank at the end of the round trip, that was cruise control set to 80 on the motorways (erm i mean 70), 3 hours each way and 180 miles each way.
So i have a good idea how much fuel i will burn on the trips as it always has been the same.

Last weekend,
Asda - no diesel, BP - closed, both stations (????), so i decided to use tescos which was actually the same price at the pump as bp and dearer than asda.

result of the round trip, over 3/4 of the tank used!!!!, the driving conditions (crusie control on, no more traffic than other journeys etc) were on par to previous trips but my fuel consumption had risen to only 45mpg. The car was also very smokey under acceration which is normal for a diesel but it shouldnt cause a smog on its own also the torque levels were very much down - i noticed this partically when going into alton village with the steep hills, usually i could stay in 3rd if rolling - if unlucky 2nd, this time i ended up going into 1st to get up a steep hill.

I filled up again yesterday so i could get to work and the car has now returned to 59mpg average in heavy traffic too and from work over two days. The smog cloud has now vanished and the car feels gutsy again, i can actually climb steep hills without dropping cogs again.

The result from this for me is that using cheap(ish) tesco fuel is a false economy - it really congests the engine and the octaine levels must be close to water. infact my car runs better on sunflower oil than tescos fuel.

Has anyone else had the same sort of experiance with supermarket fuels, i will now be avoiding tescos at the very least as the difference for me was night and day...............

hmm..never tried asda fuel? I usually fill up at sainsbury's as it's on my way to work, is there a way to find out which supermarket uses which brand of diesel?

Asda fuel is not always the best either. The Asda local to me has had to pay garage repair bills for many cars on at least 2 occasions. Basically the fuel had been contaminated with large particles of some sort which was blocking people injectors etc...

To be honest though, I personally have never noticed a difference between Shell, BP or the supermarket chains.

Mine eats fuel like a fat kid at MacDonald’s eats happy meals. It doesn't taste it or savour it; it just swallows the whole lot lol.

We have always used Tesco to fill up the car for many many years, so cant compare against others

Ive always used Morrison's in my Vespa as it was on route to and from work, but after speaking with Kruger about fuel I started using Esso (also on route to work) they are always a penny dearer than Morrison's, but having a small tank it really doesn't notice on the pocket lol

more or less instantly I noticed the Vespa running smoother and lasting just under a week longer before having to fill up again

As there are only 11 refinaries in the UK, the retailers all get their fuels out of the same storage tank at the refinary - with the likes of Shell, BP etc having reciprocal aggrements. What differs is the additives and detergents.

Performance tuned engines often perform worse than untuned engines when running standard RON fuels such as city diesel.

Still, saying that Tesco fuel has a bad rep where I live too...

I always use Shell because I have too, but the wife can use anything. Hers runs better on Texaco or Shell, and garbage on all the supermarket crap.

PS Diesel uses the cetane index and not RON or octane.

@ op,

i got told this a few weeks back off a roll delivery driver who is out 7 nights a week and he was telling me he got more mpg when using likes of BP than morrisons where he used to fill up. although payed a liitle more at the pump he actually saved as it was lasting longer.

supposse its best tested by ppl who do same run/route day in day out.

so i started trying it with petrol in my car but cant judge atm as my instrument cluster is on the blink lol

I have to say that I haven't noticed much of a difference between BP and tesco on my s-max. It does a lot of short trips (under 20 miles), maybe its better on longer trips.

i noticed that my car uses a LOT less fuel when i drive to drop the kids off, than it does when i drive back on my own, but, it takes me twice as long to drop them off than it does to get back, but, when i pick the kids up, its the other way round, i can get there in 35 mins and use a quarter of a tank, but once theyre in the car, it takes me an hour and i only use an eighth of a tank

must just be one of those wierd things

i noticed that my car uses a LOT less fuel when i drive to drop the kids off, than it does when i drive back on my own, but, it takes me twice as long to drop them off than it does to get back, but, when i pick the kids up, its the other way round, i can get there in 35 mins and use a quarter of a tank, but once theyre in the car, it takes me an hour and i only use an eighth of a tank

must just be one of those wierd things

Driving style comes to mind digi lol

Would having the radio up so loud use that much more electric that the battery needs super extra charging and thats where it all goes then??

cool

:proud:

Would having the radio up so loud use that much more electric that the battery needs super extra charging and thats where it all goes then??

cool

:proud:

:roflmao:

I've not found much difference in diesel but with petrol i have filled up once or twice with tesco fuel and it lasts a lot less in terms of mileage. I found BP ultimate to be the best and it was ok back in the days when there was about 4 pence difference however it is about 10pence now here which doesnt justify it. Close behind that and its very close is the very cheap shell fuelsave. Probably the best budget fuel i have used.
Difference between normal BP (camden) and shell fuelsave (watford) is about 8pence!

so thats brands of fuel covered what about SVO,WVO & Bio diesel verses normal diesel.

Back