Devon Golden Sands Caravan Park - Holiday

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone stayed in the golden sands caravan holiday park before, my mrs has got a bee in her bonnet about caravans, she has not stayed in a caravan since she was a kid and would like our kids to try it.

I found all sorts of 2 berth, 3 berth, 4 berth, etc rental caravans at the golden sands on a google search here

http://www.parkholidays.com/golden-sands-caravan-holiday-park-dawlish-warren-devon

Is the beirth thing about how many it will sleep , as I noticed there was 3 bed, 8 birth ones... Is that even possible lol?

And the camp site had very good reviews... We was thinking about taking the kids in the first week of the summer holidays for 7 days camping / caravanning short break.

I thought there might be some campers on here that might give us a little insight into this place and also what Devon ( warren ) has to offer in entertainment value, good to be prepared when you go on holidays to make the most of them

Thanks all
Mick

Last edited:
The berths are the number that it will sleep.

Caravan Parks are great when the sun's shining and you'll never be short of things to do with the kids in Devon, but they're not much fun when the rain is pissing down.

Hi Mick, I live in Devon and although I haven't ever stayed at this resort I have driven past it quite a few times when I was younger as we would always go down to Dawlish Warren in the summer. Dawlish Warren itself is what you would expect - couple of amusement arcades, go kart track, carousel, souvenir shops all close to the beach. Beach itself is a nice long beach which gently slopes into the sea. Couple of pubs. We used to have a 8 berth static caravan at Exmouth and the berths describe number of people who can sleep there I think. Ours had three bedrooms, two twin and one double but they are not the longest of beds! didnt bother me and my wife as we not the tallest! lol A couple of people could also sleep in the front room if necessary - that gives you the 8! Seagulls on the roof will get you up nice and early.

I'm sure the kids would love it and at least there are a few things for if the weather isn't great. There is. GP surgery in Dawlish Warren too which may or may not be helpful.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

As already said the "Berths" indicates the number of people the caravan can sleep but that usually includes using the "lounge" area and the settee or sofas being converted to beds.
Don't worry about comfort levels, they are basically mini bungalows these days !
If you end up with noisy or annoying neighbours, a few slices of bread thrown on their caravan roof before you go to bed will ensure a noisy wake up call for them. :Laugh:
Most large sites often have regular entertainment laid on, if it rains so what there is still plenty to do outside you just get wet that's all. You could go swimming, then the rain doesn't make one jot of difference, but even a walk along an empty rain swept beach and watching whatever wild life is about can be enjoyable it all depends what your idea of enjoyment is.

Thanks for the replies, I have not stayed in a caravan since I was a kid, so I am looking forward to it :)

I would like to take a tent and maybe do a nights camping too, not sure on this though lol, and the costs involved.

But Devon looks beautiful.

If anyone else has any tips for things to do with the kids that would be great.

Mick

Mick you will have different grades of caravans to stay in pretty much like hotels

Go for the highest grade you can afford, as these will be the privately owned ones and of a much higher standard (4+). As mentioned above these are more like small houses rather than vans, and maybe have 2/3 rooms.

(TT)

the newer static caravans are really nice, central heating - everything. Check how many bedrooms it has. i have a family of 5 and make sure they have 3 bedrooms as it's more comfortable that way. Also check if they accept pets (if u have any)

If you fancy a day out with the kids, give Woodlands a go, loads to do even if it rains - it has one of the largest indoor play areas in the country as well as water slides, toboggan run, and plenty more. It is at Dartmouth if you want to do a search on it. My kids loved it there every time we went.

Have a great break.

@Mick Caravaning is great fun the kids will love it. As MH said go for highest spec affordable. There is loads to do in and around Devon and normally These sites have good entertainment programs running for kids and adults alike. I love my Caravan although its only a sited tourer. Great holidays mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Not stayed at that park, but did used to go to Dawlish quite regular, in fact my mother/father-in-law just come back from there a couple of weeks ago, nice little village, little stream (if i recall) couple of arcades and shops.

Also been to Brixham and that's not bad either, but very quiet.

Not stayed at that park, but did used to go to Dawlish quite regular, in fact my mother/father-in-law just come back from there a couple of weeks ago, nice little village, little stream (if i recall) couple of arcades and shops.

That's right, Dawlish has a little stream running through it. They hold a duck race there every year - not real ducks obviously, yellow plastic ones! Dawlish Warren has the nicer beach and karting but you can easily walk from one to the other - tide dependant!

we have a static caravan in wales @ talacre beach ... its 12 foot wide and 37 foot long .
sky , 50 inch tv , cental heating , double glazing , large private gardens , hot tub , huge decking area with porch swing , I swear the master bedroom with en suite is bigger than my room at my house lol.
Caravans are not like they used to be mate ... we go there most weekends , its like a holiday every week. fantastic

Thanks so much for all the information :)

Really useful, we will get one of the bigger caravans @ Golden Sands Holiday Park Dawlish - Devon Caravan & Chalet Holidays, they do look massive and not like caravans at all!

The kids are so excited and the Mrs is over the moon, so I am in the good books at the moment lol.

@Bronto I did tell her about your suggestion, I actually wanted that one as it had a gym lol.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
Have a great time. When are you down? Hope weather improves a bit for your holiday.

Back