Hardware Dell Optiplex 780 graphics card upgrade

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need some advice or help with a graphics card issue, I bought 3 of these (I think it's the 780, might be the 760 fell optiplex)

I think they are the same form factor anyway???

Basically I use a little bit of Photoshop and illustrator, but the graphics really let these otherwise pretty nifty machines down.

Because it's a low power PSU, can anyone recommend me a graphics card that I can get to help with one of these machines.

I have looked but it's a little confusing, and it does not need to be expensive it's just an office PC but would be nice to upgrade the Graphics Card

Cheers all

Mick

Which type of tower/desktop is it because according to Dell here, there are 4 types of towers/desktop configurations.

If you have a PCIe x16 slot free, then I would use that for your graphics card

Does it have any other codes on it? Maybe next to model or serial number?

I'm looking for something with "MT", "DT", "SFF" or "USFF" in it. I'm guessing it's "SFF".

I will get back to you with these in the next few days matey... Wife has demanded a new kitchen...

found this hope it helps. spec for your PC

OptiPlex-780 Tech Spec | Dell

If its SFF as Mick suggested then a good and cheap card the Asus GeForce GT 720 2gb pci-e 2.0, I actually have this running on a Quad core at home.

Specifications

• Graphics Engine: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720
  • Bus Standard: PCI Express 2.0
  • Video Memory: GDDR3 2GB
  • Engine Clock: 797 MHz
  • CUDA Core: 192
  • Memory Clock: 900 MHz ( 1800 MHz GDDR3 )
  • Memory Interface: 64-bit
  • Resolution: DVI Max Resolution : 2560x1600
  • Interface: D-Sub Output : Yes x 1, DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-D), HDMI Output : Yes x 1 , HDCP Support : Yes
  • Software: ASUS GPU Tweak & Driver
  • Dimensions: 5.4 " x 2.72 " x 1.18 " Inch / 13.7 x 6.9 x3 Centimeter

If it's is a Desktop (DT) or Small Form Factor (SFF), you need a Low-Profile card. A good card for Photoshop or other simular software is NVIDIA Quadro series like the Quadro FX380 look for the specs here

Be sure when buying a graphic card to double check if its a Low-Profile.

Back