Hardware Dell Mini 9 10 replacement hard drive

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We have an older Dell Mini 9 10 service tag F6P5QJ1 but it only has a small 3.75gb in it. It came with Ubuntu but it too small for windows and a bit of storage.
I always get confused with the types and decent make hard drives so can someone please tell me what would be a cheap option say anything around the 40-80gb in size ? any links eBay etc would be handy

I thought the Dell Mini was flash? The Mini 9 was 10Gb by default but the recovery partition takes up a lot of space. Bigger flash drives are available, I'll try and find a source.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazon do the Kingspec range from around £25.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm not that pc savvy tbh I just know the basics and basic cmd commands. The small Dell Mini 9 10 was given to us, we only intend to use it for basic browsing on so I just thought I would wipe it and reinstall XP via a bootable usb xp I have.

I didn't realise there was a recovery XP on a partition on the flash drive so I just installed the USB XP I have therefore leaving me short on hard drive but the partition still intact.

As it is I can't seem to access the recovery mode as I've no F11 and F+Z or X does not seem to do anything. I have installed all the basic drivers like sound and graphics so I'm wondering if I've missed out drivers for the F function and I don't know which they are.

If I recover the partition XP will this free up the hard drive ? as it stands its showing 3.75gb with 600mb spare which doesn't leave much room. Even a couple of gig would suffice for our needs. As it is I'm even struggling to put chrome on it

I have just looked in the BIOS and the hard drive says;-
STEC ATA Disk vS020.1.0-(PM)
HDD size 3791MB
Is it possible to run XP on this ? it came with an xp sticker and genuine code but Ubuntu installed .

sorry for the naive questions

Sounds like an early one, no recovery partition and the 4Gb solid-state disk. You could put your data on a USB key or upgrade the drive, it just clicks in.

Sounds like an early one, no recovery partition and the 4Gb solid-state disk. You could put your data on a USB key or upgrade the drive, it just clicks in.
OK thanks for that , I think I have an old 1gb SD card somewere or I'll see if I can pick up a cheap drive

My confusion came from the spec sheet I looked at just saying SSD.

Looking up the service tag on the Dell website; it takes/shipped with an "SSDR PATA hard disk": Product Support | Dell UK

But looking into that more, it actually uses a mini-PCIe interface and not the standard 44pin PATA connector?

Here's is the picture of the back off;-

Attachments

• 20151203_200710.jpg
    20151203_200710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Top right is the fella.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa, hang on, tablet or 'phone photo?

Tablets and 'phones turn pics around, it's the STEC card.

Back