DEAD!!! the importance of changelogs

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
my twin is 101% dead, apart from the word 'starting' in the VFD, all because of (the lack of) a changelog with a file, heres how........

made the new openvix 3.0 build 220 image for the tm twin, flashed it, and the box was stuck on starting. i had a feeling that a new bootloader was needed, and this was confirmed, so i emailed tm and asked for it

had an email back, with the cfe.bin file, and the instructions 'put into folder with kernel and rootfs files download twice'

now, normally, what i would have done is flashed only the cfe file on its own, which would have taken 2 seconds, but, as the instructions said to do it with the other 2 files as well, i did that. flashed, waited for the screen to change telling me to turn off etc, removed usb, rebooted, and the VFD now says Booting....... scrolling through the window, very nice, but, still not booting, then i remembered 'download twice'

now, my tv is setup so you cannot actually SEE both the TV and the receiver at the same time, but, i know that when the hdd spins up, a second later the screen changes to press ok to flash, anyway, i turn the box off, put usb in to flash a second time, turn the switch on, hear the drive spin up, press ok while im looking at the screen, nothing happens, continue looking at the screen, no message about 'new update found' and no 'updating please wait' message either, just the splash screen

so i turn the twitch off on the back, as as i glance down, see the word 'updating' fade away in the VFD

SHIT!!!

turn the receiver back on, and its back to 'starting' in the vfd

it no longer recognises the usb stick to update, so i try the bootloader recovery tool, no response, i try to connect via hyperterminal, no response, i try to boot into the closed source side, nothing

a 101% dead receiver

now if a simple little text file was with this, explaining that after flashing, updating information is no longer on the tv screen, but in the vfd, id now be playing with the latest vix image, instead, because of the usual lack of information about changes, i have to arrange to return this receiver for replacement

great :(

thats a shame mate :(

I could express my views more (genuinely) but I wont :)

Its like your sig says digi, "you break your stuff so we dont have to" lol will you get a replacement free of charge though? I guess the only good that can come of this is people can now heed your warning and not make the same mistake :(

Its actually harder for me to get replacements than most people think, as a lot of the time, if im told 'it cannot be broken' then ill go out of my way to try and break it, and then when something does get broken, i will try every way possible to get it running again WITHOUT needing it to be replaced, but, with anything like this, if it packs in, no matter how, and especially if people are told that it cannot be broken, then itll get replaced under waranty, i have to pay courier fees etc though like everyone else, it does mean that i wont be able to abuse it for a week or so though, as it needs returning to be Jtagged back to life, i wont get a replacement unit, just my one repaired

gives me more time to play with my alien2 now instead :proud:

every cloud and all that.......lol

Back