Dead Hard drive

eder

DW Regular +
Reaction score
Hello All, My hard drive just died today after a windows uptade, had Dell on the phone with me and they confirmed my hard drive went down. I had just a folder full of pics from my new born baby there that I REALLY want to save! How can I do that? Dell will send a new HD for me on Tuesday then I'll have 5 days to try back-up whatever i want before send the faulty HD back to them...could any one help me with this?!

Hello All, My hard drive just died today after a windows uptade, had Dell on the phone with me and they confirmed my hard drive went down. I had just a folder full of pics from my new born baby there that I REALLY want to save! How can I do that? Dell will send a new HD for me on Tuesday then I'll have 5 days to try back-up whatever i want before send the faulty HD back to them...could any one help me with this?!

If you send it back, you will prob loose you data forever, unless you can some how get them to post it back but don’t know about that. You can buy a caddy to turn your HDD into a portable HDD from ebay for under a tenner. This will allow you to get your files from the HDD if its not really badly corrupted. But you might **** your warranty.

Last edited:
Depends how dead it is.
Try running HDD Regenerator on it. I'ts on Hirens boot cd.

good luck

If you send it back, you will prob loose you data forever, unless you can some hoe get them to post it back but don’t know about that. You can buy a caddy to turn your HDD into a portable HDD from ebay for under a tenner. This will allow you to get your files from the HDD if its not really badly corrupted. But you might **** your warranty.

Yeah, I have 5 days from tuesday to try save my stuff then they want me to post the HDD back to them.

any beeps, clicking noises or anything?
have you tried booting from cd/dvd?

If thats all the evidence Dell had to go on how can they tell you it's definitely the hdd? could be lots of things.

any beeps, clicking noises or anything?
have you tried booting from cd/dvd?

If thats all the evidence Dell had to go on how can they tell you it's definitely the hdd? could be lots of things.

they run a test "system test" (F12) thats check the HDD and it failed

I would not trust the System test, I had a Dell to repair, the system test said the HD had failed. I took it out and tested it on my desktop (via an adapter) and pasted.

I used the reinstall to put XP back and it has run good so far.

I would not trust the System test, I had a Dell to repair, the system test said the HD had failed. I took it out and tested it on my desktop (via an adapter) and pasted.

I used the reinstall to put XP back and it has run good so far.

the thing that I want to save my baby's pics there before formating it.

Back