Cycling...

I'll assume you mean no posing and poncing around at the bottom of big climbs wearing Lycra and sitting on expensive looking bikes that have obviously never been further than the end of your drive because they're too clean and you look like you couldn't pedal past the local chip shop ffs...

...sorry, feel better for that ;)

Nope......

I don't have a cycle computer, just use Strava on my Android phone

any good that app?
any other ones you recommend?

If I absolutely had to...I would go for wireless with heart-rate monitor so I could get my aerobic zone nailed...

so you dont use one?
or you use your mobile phone too? lol

any good that app?
any other ones you recommend?

so you dont use one?
or you use your mobile phone too? lol

I've kinda figured where I want my heart-rate to be and just stick with that? Get the cadence right and the rest falls into place.

I work on 220-age then measure time to normal...

Last edited:
I've kinda figured where I want my heart-rate to be and just stick with that? Get the cadence right and the rest falls into place.

you sound like your meditating whilst your cycling lol! :Frog:

Strava is brilliant.
Check it out :)
Strava | Running and Cycling GPS Tracker, Performance Analytics, Maps, Clubs and Competition

I used to use My Tracks, but Strava is loads better IMHO

you use the standard strava or pay extra for the premium?

wheres the best place to buy a mount for your phone on ya bike?
the famous auction site? lol

Just use the standard Strava and I'm already wearing my phone mount... it stays in my pocket !
I have a galaxy note, and wouldn't trust any mount to hold it safely and securely whilst riding over the rough stuff, and to be honest while I'm out I just like to enjoy the ride, taking in the fresh air and fantastic views without getting distracted by technology every 2 minutes checking my progress etc

Just use the standard Strava and I'm already wearing my phone mount... it stays in my pocket !
I have a galaxy note, and wouldn't trust any mount to hold it safely and securely whilst riding over the rough stuff, and to be honest while I'm out I just like to enjoy the ride, taking in the fresh air and fantastic views without getting distracted by technology every 2 minutes checking my progress etc

yea i hear what your saying....
what type of lock you guys got?
im still not sure what type to buy lol

Cube Bike I now do 20-50 miles per week really good and lost a lot of timber

Not too much in the MTB scene, but definitely in the roady lot.

The problem I find is it starts to eat money as all you want is to upgrade.

My frame is an 03, but its s great frame. I would love an Orange 5, but I cannot justify £1500 just for a frame.

What I would say is get a CamelBak :)

(TT)

the orange 5 is a great bike only reason I didn't get one of them instead of my g4 is I mostly use it on the road and I hate full suss on roads
you should get a second hand frame in poor cosmetic condition can find them for a few hundred then just get it blaster and powder coated then get new badge and stickers from orange
just had my 224 evo blasted and coated cost £30 and new badge and stickers from orange was £19.99 now its looking brand new again until I come off again or hit a tree

start at 220 the deduct your age , , so if your 40 then look at around 180 as you max. Its only a guide line

I've been biking for around 30 years on/off , over the past 12-15 yrs mainly road biking. I own a Specialized Roubaix Pro 2008 with upgraded wheels to Mavic Kysrium Elite 2012's and good tyres. I do most of the maintenance myself , I use YouTube for alot of tips so get the tools yourself and save a few quid.

I normally ride 2-4 times a week and roughly anything from 20 to 40 mile all depending on how I feel . I have a few circuits / routes and the moment I feel like I've had enough I can deviate at any point and come home. Like someone mentioned before , enjoy it first .

If you haven't rode for years and your looking for a bike then spend a few quid on a decent good quality 2nd hand bike and steer clear of the Tesco/Asda bikes. A shit bike will put you off for life and make the job 10 times harder.

Build your fitness up gradually , all this Whey protein and energy drinks have still alot to prove so stick with a healthy diet no chippy and kebabs. If your going on a long ride then take some bits n bobs with you I take jam sarnies , I drink Robinsons lemon lime barley, the only one's I use is creatin and the odd caffiene tablet I also make some tuna sandwiches ready for when I get back an a banana or something and a glass of milk as it re-hydrates 5 times faster than water.

Fueling up "after" a ride is one of the most important things you can do or fatigue will set in and the next days riding can become hell itself.
Oh and get the credit card ready as it can be a very dear do once your hooked. Any advice just ask and hopefully I can pass some of my older know how on :)

IMG_20130301_085811.jpg

Last edited:
I've been biking for around 30 years on/off , over the past 12-15 yrs mainly road biking. I own a Specialized Roubaix Pro 2008 with upgraded wheels to Mavic Kysrium Elite 2012's and good tyres. I do most of the maintenance myself , I use YouTube for alot of tips so get the tools yourself and save a few quid.

I normally ride 2-4 times a week and roughly anything from 20 to 40 mile all depending on how I feel . I have a few circuits / routes and the moment I feel like I've had enough I can deviate at any point and come home. Like someone mentioned before , enjoy it first .

If you haven't rode for years and your looking for a bike then spend a few quid on a decent good quality 2nd hand bike and steer clear of the Tesco/Asda bikes. A shit bike will put you off for life and make the job 10 times harder.

Build your fitness up gradually , all this Whey protein and energy drinks have still alot to prove so stick with a healthy diet no chippy and kebabs. If your going on a long ride then take some bits n bobs with you I take jam sarnies , I drink Robinsons lemon lime barley, the only one's I use is creatin and the odd caffiene tablet I also make some tuna sandwiches ready for when I get back an a banana or something and a glass of milk as it re-hydrates 5 times faster than water.

Fueling up "after" a ride is one of the most important things you can do or fatigue will set in and the next days riding can become hell itself.
Oh and get the credit card ready as it can be a very dear do once your hooked. Any advice just ask and hopefully I can pass some of my older know how on :)

View attachment 72022

yea some really good tips on youtube,
i also want to maintain it myself hopefully,
silverdale look at my post in the below link,
you reckon bargain? good buy, bad buy?
id like to see your opinion because your experience
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/307464/#post2215844

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned lots of bikes all different makes over the years. there not the best of bikes the carrera's but they'll do as a starter bike. the biggest improvement you can make on a bike is the wheels and tyres. a good set of 2nd hand mavic aksiums with 1/2 decent tyres will set you back around £130-£150 wheels. It seems a lot but it will improve the ride no end.

I'm a Specialized guy now as the roubaix is more of a comfortable as your in an upright position.

and last big tip, , , get the set up right . . plumb bob your knee all that bollox .. . it does help.

I've owned lots of bikes all different makes over the years. there not the best of bikes the carrera's but they'll do as a starter bike. the biggest improvement you can make on a bike is the wheels and tyres. a good set of 2nd hand mavic aksiums with 1/2 decent tyres will set you back around £130-£150 wheels. It seems a lot but it will improve the ride no end.

I'm a Specialized guy now as the roubaix is more of a comfortable as your in an upright position.

and last big tip, , , get the set up right . . plumb bob your knee all that bollox .. . it does help.

cheers mate, i thought it would be a nice first road bike,
think i got a bargain to be honest lol

yeah there ok , I had a Vanquish a few yr back and I found it fine. Invest in some wheels/tyres ,,,Its like a sound system , good speakers will make a shite system sound good but shite speakers wont make a good system sound good ( if you get me drift)

yeah there ok , I had a Vanquish a few yr back and I found it fine. Invest in some wheels/tyres ,,,Its like a sound system , good speakers will make a shite system sound good but shite speakers wont make a good system sound good ( if you get me drift)

yea i hear what your saying bud,
thanks for the advice,
do you use a cycle computer?

Back