Customer compliance interview

AJT

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi as the title states i have just received a letter from DWP stating that i need to attend a customer compliance office interview at the local Job centre...
I need to take bank statements,passport/ID utility bill and any pension statements..they already know everything i have and monies i receive as i took DWP to an appeal for ESA about 6 months ago and won and was finally put in the support group after a 2 year battle so surly they would have gone over my entitlement stuff with a fine tooth comb..
Although i know i am all above board etc its still worrying..what the hell do they want now....
Has anyone else had any experiences regarding this CUSTOMER COMPLIANCE INTERVIEW

searching on-line seems to point mainly to benefit fraud...

Thanks
AJT.

That's what they are usually for Bud DWP investigation interview. Looks you're under investigation AJT Maybe some fecker has reported without reason you or they think they have discovered something, Good luck

Last edited:
That's what they are usually for Bud DWP investigation interview. Looks you're under investigation AJT Maybe some fecker has reported you or they think they have discovered something, Good luck

oh well here we go again.Once more unto the breach,

There are some horrible people out there who maliciously give false statements to the DWP . If they suspect anything they will caution you prior to interview, if they don't caution you there may be something wrong with your claim either an underpayment or an overpayment. Good Luck Pal

It's is possible that they have to do random checks just in case staff are not following or bending the rules.
When I did travels claims (£150 - £3k) in a previous role, my line manager would have to pick out 10 claims out of every 100 and go through it with a fine tooth comb to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

Good luck with it mate. Stay calm, deep breathe and don't rush your answers. Just answer exactly what they ask you - don't volunteer anything extra. If you've done nothing wrong then you've got nothing to worry about :)

They are usually because someone has reported you, again usually malicious. But they have to call the person In.

I know of someone that was called in and left with more benefits as they were not claiming all they were entitled too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fingers and thumbs ...

@AJT there should be some clues in the wording of the letter as to why the Interview, if it says something like "a query has arisen on your claim" then some busy body has made a phone call and that has caused the interview. Or, they could also just be enquiring about your circumstances.

5% of Customer Compliance cases are selected for "process checks" to ensure that the Compliance people have done what they should have, the rest are because they have suspicions of fraudulent claiming or they have received a "Tip Off".
The most common "triggers" for their involvement are if they believe or have been informed of :-

1) Suspicions of Single Claimants who may be living together as a Husband and Wife or as in a Civil Partnership.
2) You have recently separated from a Partner.
3) You have worked previously as self-employed.
4) They think you have worked without declaring it to DWP.
5) You have sanctions on your benefits and these require discussion.

The Idea behind Customer Compliance interview is to discuss the case in regard to the reason for the Referral and obtain accurate information from the "customer". They will also conduct a Full Review of the "Customer’s" circumstances and they will make a point of "Reinforcing Customer Responsibilities." (tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing !).
It is Not a Criminal Investigation and it will Not be Conducted "Under Caution", however the interveiw will be conducted in a "Robust and Challenging Manner", such that the Compliance Officer does not have to accept initial answers as being the truth. At the end of the Interview they will take a signed Statement from you, either that you write or that they write and you sign (or, if you refuse, that they write and they sign).
You are entitled to have someone with you at the Interview and you can request to record the Interview and they MUST accept your request.
**** I would advise that you ensure you do both of these things !!! ****

If the Interview is because of an Allegation or Tip Off and the Compliance Officer decides it is a Malicious Allegation they can abandon the investigation there and then, although they usually refer all the details of the Interview to a "Decision Maker".

There are some evil people out there who assume because you are on benefits you are a fraud and just like the ones they have watched on some of the recent TV programmes, and think they are doing "service" to all the taxpayers by reporting anyone, without any proof and without considering the consequences for the person they report !!!
You know you have nothing to hide, so I suggest you get someone to accompany you, request a recording of the Interview and go in there and give them the truth, and quash any malicious lies that may have been phoned in !!!
Who knows, maybe while they are conducting the Full Review, they may discover that you are not getting everything you are entitled to and end up getting a nice little back payment bonus !!
Good Luck AJT and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AJT
Hi they have not put a reason..front just states...NOTIFICATION OF CUSTOMER COMPLIANCE INTERVIEW..dear Mr me..An office interview has been arranged...we would like you to attend on bla bla at bla bla.

On the back it is what seems a standard script..why i must attend and what may happen if i don't.And-
This interview has been arranged because your circumstances may have changed and we need to ensure your payments are correct

AJT.

You did them 6 months ago so now its pay back :p only kidding sure it will be fine, you have the right to a lawyer etc..

Good luck.

Hi they have not put a reason..front just states...NOTIFICATION OF CUSTOMER COMPLIANCE INTERVIEW..dear Mr me..An office interview has been arranged...we would like you to attend on bla bla at bla bla.

On the back it is what seems a standard script..why i must attend and what may happen if i don't.And-
This interview has been arranged because your circumstances may have changed and we need to ensure your payments are correct

AJT.

So it could be for absolutely any reason, as I said you have nothing to hide so just give them the truth and hopefully commonsense and decency will prevail.

AJT.

Hi mate,

I work for one of the work programme providers as a branch manager. This could be one of 2 things:

There could have been some overpayment or it could be that they think your savings exceed the limit to be eligible for benefits.

Did the letter say you can bring representation? Normally if there's an investigation for fraud, they will notify you of your rights to have someone attend with you.

Good luck mate i know how they operate and this could just be routine.They will try anything to trip you up so just just give answers to questions and don't play on the answer too much.Im sure you will be ok mate.All the best

Hi mate,

I work for one of the work programme providers as a branch manager. This could be one of 2 things:

There could have been some overpayment or it could be that they think your savings exceed the limit to be eligible for benefits.

Did the letter say you can bring representation? Normally if there's an investigation for fraud, they will notify you of your rights to have someone attend with you.

No mate the letter says only what I posted..

No mate the letter says only what I posted..

I wouldn't worry too much but you can call and tell them that the letter has caused you some anxiety and you would like someone to explain it

Hi mate,

That is only when they believe they have proof of fraud, and is called an Interview Under Caution.
That proof could even be something they have read on a Facebook page that they have gained access to and have confirmed it is a particular person.

That is only when they believe they have proof of fraud, and is called an Interview Under Caution.
That proof could even be something they have read on a Facebook page that they have gained access to and have confirmed it is a particular person.

Any investigation even of it's an informal chat would require them to allow a claimant to bring someone with them and this should be made clear in the letter they send out.

Just read the OP post again and It seems he might have not complied with something he was requested to do and they want to speak with him.
@AJT think back mate and see of you were invited to any other reviews/interviews which you failed to attend. Also there is a difference of about £7-£8 more now you're in the support group rather than the WRAG

Last edited by a moderator:
No never been called for any interviews etc before..I am very conscious of doing things correct..I do not do anything that would bring my payments into disrepute..if there is something wrong I am not aware of it....
Been racking my brains and can not think of anything that will be non compliance.

Back