Curtain up on Edinburgh's Fringe

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
The largest arts festival in the world is getting under way in Edinburgh.

Preview performances for many of the record 2,088 shows in this year's Edinburgh Fringe festival began at the end of last week.

But the Fringe, which runs in 247 venues around the city, officially runs from 4 to 25 August.
Problems with a new box office system, which left many wondering whether they would get tickets, appeared to be easing, according to organisers.

Fringe director Jon Morgan said: "We are the biggest open-access cross-artform festival in the world, and every year we have such a great variety of shows from all over the world catering for all age ranges and tastes.

"And these shows are popping up in increasingly varied places.

Some people have had trouble booking tickets

"This year people are performing in all sorts of different areas; under Arthur's seat, on top of Calton Hill, in swimming pools, at the city zoo, and Edinburgh lends itself so well to that.

"There are so many great areas of this city, so many fascinating parts."

Almost 19,000 performers will take to the stage during the Fringe's three week run.

Last year 1.7 million tickets were sold at the Fringe.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7537872.stm

Published: 2008/08/04 00:53:26 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Was out & about in the town on Saturday.

Couldn't get a pint for under £3.50...bl00dy rip-off.

The Mrs managed to get free tickets for Ladyboys of Bangkok, wasn't going to go, but it's supposed to be a good night out, so might head in again next week for a laugh.

You guys are very lucky to have such a festival on your doorstep. I hope a lot of Scottish people go out and support such an event.

You guys are very lucky to have such a festival on your doorstep. I hope a lot of Scottish people go out and support such an event.

Last year was the first year I have attended it and I have vowed to go back every year.

It's well worth while just to walk up and down the Royal Mile to see the street acts.

I think my missus is going through with a friend to catch a nightly show. I believe the one that Seedy is going to see is excellent.

We took our 6 year old daughter with her pal last year and went to see a play of Narnia. It was done in one room by mostly teenage kids and was brilliant.

I urge anybody to visit Edinburgh during the festival time. The place is buzzing.

The only down side as Seedy has quite rightly pointed out is that things tend to be a bit more expensive during the festival :(

sounds cool fella, can't remember the last time i did something cultural, not even been to a museum for years, even me ma is more cultured than me, she even went to that body parts exhibit, when it was on in Manc.

Off through to Edinburgh today. Taking the missus and daughter to catch some of the street acts and maybe see a show or two :)

Hope the rain stays off!

Enjoy m8. I used to enjoy being able to pop through to Edinburgh to see the fringe shows. Too far away now.

..........can't remember the last time i did something cultural.

You don't need to enjoy culture to enjoy the festival. There's something for everyone.

Festivals always great and fireworks at the end are fantastic :D

But fook me it's impossible to move in town this time of year =|

Back