CPU support list - any thing out that will tell me what CPU my laptop will take

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
as ever when it comes to searching the net for drivers and info on old laptops it's never an easy task! I've been using crucial memory for upgrades and that's great, shoots off downloads a little exe and then comes back with some search results of what memory your pc/lap top can take......question is ! is there any thing out that that does the same on the CPU side of things...

got a laptop and can't see on manufacturers web site.....

Last edited:
they enver make it easy with lap tops do they, no matter what it is.....where's there CPU support list! grrr.....unless it's just shite and can't be upgraded....lol

they enver make it easy with lap tops do they, no matter what it is.....where's there CPU support list! grrr.....unless it's just shite and can't be upgraded....lol

There's never much you can do to a laptop so I guess that's why they don't bother publishing lists. What CPU socket is it? Can you tell from the picture?

You can stick the fastest CPU for that socket in and see what happens. Only problem is the BIOS may need an update to recognise it and like you already know it's unlikely to have an updated BIOS as not many people tend to upgrade their laptop CPUs.

< Processor >
Model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5200 @
1.60GHz
Speed: 1.6GHz
Cores per Processor: 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core: 1 Unit(s)
Type: Mobile, Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache: 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64
byte line size
L2 On-board Cache: 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte
line size, 2 threads sharing

< Computer >
Platform Compliance: Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Mainboard: Packard Bell EasyNote MV46
BIOS: INSYDE R1.06 11/14/2006 Bus(es): PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support: No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC :)Yes
Total Memory: 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM

< Chipset >
Model: NEC 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express
Processor to DRAM Controller
Front Side Bus Speed: 4x 133MHz (532MHz)
Total Memory: 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM
Shared Memory: 8MB
Channels: 1
Memory Bus Speed: 2x 266MHz (532MHz)

CPU-Z should be able to tell you what socket your laptop has. Whether it'll support all CPUs that fit that socket is another matter.

Also bare in mind that a more powerful CPU is likely to run hotter. The cooler fitted to you laptop may not be suitable for a much more powerful CPU that may have been fitted to a more expensive model on the same product line.

as Tawke says its going to be the bios thats the problem, upgrading laptop processors is not generally carried out and as such if there are any bios updates for the m/b they dont incude processor stepping updates.
still if you can find a faster processor it wont hurt to try it if you can "borrow" one but possibly a costly mistake if it doesnt work...

think i'll leave it then as no point spending cash on a processor and finding it not going to work then, got a lot of other stuff that can keep me occupied for now so the pipe dream for this laptop is over....lol

Hi There I have one of these EasyNote MV46 004 with same BIOS as you and have been running a T5300 and at the moment a T2600 with 667 mhz memory and system runs GREAT with XP Pro sp3 on either CPU.
So don't give up there is hope and extra speed ahead waiting to be uncovered.

Last edited:
Back