Cossover Problems

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello guys.

I have two PCs running xp sp2. I have successfully set up a crossover connection between the two and i can access each other files. The internet gateway is set up but i cant access the net from the guest pc. I have disabled the firewall on the host pc but no luck. I havent tried disabling the windows firewall on both pcs, could that be it?

The firewall was norton personal firewall 2004.

I have used the same cable that i use for my normal crossover connection and that works fine. All ip configurations are correct coz windows did it automatically and the gateway ip address is rite as i checked in ipconfig.

Im using a realtek NIC, which has only one light. could that be for pro networks and not crossover? "PCI Bus Network Adapter"

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Here's a thought... have you, via the "Internet Control Panel ==> Connections " on your guest PC, set the connection such that it says "Never Dial a connection".

I take it you can ping each machine. Might also be worth trying to disable the Windows firewall.

What is the IP that you have defined on the Guest/Host machine.

E.G. Your HOST computer should have 2 i.p. addresses defined.
1 = the ISP defined IP. address
2 = The network card defined IP address. (set this to 192.168.0.1)

Your GUEST computer should have 1 i.p. address defined
1 = The network card defined = 192.168.0.2
Within the guest computer, network card properties, set as follows
the gateway = 192.168.0.1 and
primary DNS= 192.168.0.1

Try pinging each machine using ip address. Can you do this ? Open up IE from Guest computer...does it work now?

:Cheers:

Have tried trusted zone and disabling the firewall. Didnt try disabling windows firewall.

No dial up connection to dial, all lan. Not too sire about the dns settings as i have done well without so many times. Windows set up all the ip addresses and the computers can detect each other and see each other. Internet gateway does come up if i click to see all connections.

Will let you know how i get on with windows firewall and thanks for the speedy replies

I got it working. I was doing everything right. Just was that the rj45 connector was being pulled to one side hence not making a complete connection to the guest computer. File sharing would sometimes work. when i gave it some slack and stopped the pulling, it worked like a charm.

Cheers for the help.

Back