Coolstream NEO HD1 receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone come across one of these before?

it states

* Open Linux operating system with endless expansion possibilities.

so im wondering if it is image based like other linux receivers that we play with now (DM TM Vu etc)

I do know it runs neutrino like its stable mates but thats about all I know :)

notreally much info available, but have found this

* Very fast processor with up to 600MHZ
* The ultimate HD box with the lightning-fast & unique NeutrinoHD GUI
* Of dedicated deinterlacer with true upscaling up to 1080p Full HD
* Open Linux operating system with endless expansion possibilities

Technical data
Dimensions: W x H x D (mm) 360 × 65 × 225
Weight (kg): 2

Connections
Tuner: DVB-S2 (1x) / DVB-C (optional)
Audio outputs: RCA (R / L) / digital S / PDIF (optical)
Video outputs 1x: Scart () / Video-RCA, / Component / HDMI
Dates: S232 / USB (1 x Front / 1 x rear)) / eSATA

Hardware Features
Display Device Type / Make: VFD / 12
Smart Card Reader Type: 2
Common Interface: 1
Languages: 9
HDTV formats: 720p (50Hz), 720p (60Hz), 1080i (50Hz), 1080i (60Hz), 1080p (24Hz), 1080p (25Hz)
Update on USB / network / Internet

Other features
EPG information for current / next program / 5 days
Favorites lists indefinitely
Unlimited channel storage
Timers / Sleep Timer unlimited
Videotext / Teletext Top
Parental

Hard Drive Function
internal 2.5 "hard disk drive
Recording using EPG / Timer
Max hard drive size in GB is unlimited
Supported formats: ext2, ext3, ext4, FAT
Timeshift abschaltba

ive only only played with nutrino a few times, and didnt like it at all, still, ill have a look and a play with it

wel this receiver was sent to me on wednesday morning, guaranteed next day delivery, along with a blue dragon card, and still waiting for it to arrive. Due to the easter weekend, cant even start to chase it up untill tuesday

If you liked the original D-box, D-box2 and neutrino, youre going to LOVE this :)

As usual, with any new bit of kit, the first thing i did, was get the screwdriver out. No nasty surprised inside, eveything looks really well made and put together, the capacitors in the power supply are rated at 105C instead of the cheaper 85C ones used in a lot of equipment, so a thumbs up there.

Included are 2 small brackets to screw to a 2.5" SATA HDD for internal mounting, but, on the model that i had, the power lead was tied in so tight to a complete 'loom' that it was impossible to secure the drive in place without possibly damaging one of the cables, so one of the small ties needed to be cut first, nothing major, but a slight hardware hiccup.

Fitted with the supplied SATA cable, plugged directly into the mainboard, and put the lid back on.

Connected to a HDTV with the supplied 1.5M HDMI lead, which is surprisingly good quality for a bundled cable. Gold plated connectors, and a tough 'fiber' outer layer, i have to say, its the best bundled lead ive come across with a receiver. Connect the mains lead, and find another 'hiccup'. Its a 2 pin euro plug. I have an adaptor to hand, but if i didnt, this would possibly be the end of the review, unless i was prepared to risk electrocution to plug it in, but its powered up, so i continue ;)

Put the (supplied) batteries in the remote, turn the remote over, and, EWWWWWW! It looks and feels very, erm, cheap. The whole remote is covered in a plastic 'layer' with the decals printed under this, then the main number buttons, volume, channel and coloured buttons, are all like clear lenses with the number underneath them. Some may like this sort of 'retro' look, but for me, it doesnt work. But, im not going to watch the remote, so ill continue.

The receiver itself has a very retro look about it, mirrored display, silver buttons, angular lines across the front, personally, id say that it would look out of place next to a slim PS3 or xbox 360, but, next to a sega master system, or a nintendo 64, this would look the bomb.

The onscreen wizard has started up, and personally, ive not used nutrino based systems too much, but the on screen prompts are well informing, and the remote is natural for navigating your way around the wizard. Within a few short minutes, i had completed the wizard, and now scanning for channels.

Channel scan complete, and this receiver has a nice crisp picture and very clean sound, after setting up the HDD, recording works perfectly, and im finding it surprisingly easy to navigate my way around the different menus.

While third party support may not be oozing from forums all over the place, there is quite a bit of stuff available, including plugins, channel lists, emulators and other 'addons' to enhance your viewing experience.

If you have been a part of the cable scene for a while, and are looking to get into HD satellite, then you simply MUST own this receiver, its D-box, its neutrino, its linux, its satellite, but most importantly, ITS RELIABLE.

Other than my own personal opinion of the remote and the retro look of the receiver, which for some people would be an added bonus, i cannot fault this receiver, especially if you are looking to convert from a cable background into motorised satellite.

I keep looking at these, it's what I was going to get before I bought the tm800
Does the 1080p work or is it sluggish like the tm800 ?

Still undecided, can't find much info on if they stream over networks or not and what file formats it plays.

same here been considering a linux based hd reciever..

tho cost plays into it and what the dm8000 and tm800 are going for.... NAAAA

the functionality of a dm500hd over a sky+ box.. naaaaa

this may be the trick cost depending

i cannot test 1080p as my tv dont support it

ill fire it back up over the weekend, and test lkv files and streaming.

if theres any specific plugins, images, or anything else youd like me to look at, list it on this thread and ill give it a go

Is the freeepg activated ?, when I was looking before they were not activating it during the compile due to license restrictions.

Suppose I could use the rytec one as used in the dm500 commando images.

I know they ported over the code for the extra infobar stuff and the gotox from the clearview to the dm500 as one of their team has a coolstream box.

digidude what was your conclusions on this box does it support cccam? is it easy to change the image etc how does it compare to other boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back