Conversation in the Pub re speeding and tickets

shaun127

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We Don't Do Walking Away. I would rather die with
I was in a pub on Saturday lunch time and a conversation was about Speeding tickets as one of the regulars had been caught doing 42 in a 30 zone,

Turns out that quite a few of the regulars at the pub had been caught at the same spot (one had been done twice in same spot) by a speed van parked at the side of the road.

The van is parked on private land and it turns out that the van has been using this spot without the permission of the owner of the land.

So whats your opinion Lads regarding the law on that and the validity of any tickets issued?

I was in a pub on Saturday lunch time and a conversation was about Speeding tickets as one of the regulars had been caught doing 42 in a 30 zone,

Turns out that quite a few of the regulars at the pub had been caught at the same spot (one had been done twice in same spot) by a speed van parked at the side of the road.

The van is parked on private land and it turns out that the van has been using this spot without the permission of the owner of the land.

So whats your opinion Lads regarding the law on that and the validity of any tickets issued?
shaun have a read of this the owner of the land has not given his permission for the van to park there.
Camera van parking - a Freedom of Information request to Wiltshire and Swindon Safety Camera Partnership - WhatDoTheyKnow

1. Entering on to, and remaining on private land would generally be
conditional on obtaining the permission of the land owner. Presumably the
presence of a Safety Camera vehicle on private land would only become an
issue if the owner took exception to it in which case it might amount to a
civil trespass

I know that they definitely didn't have the owners permission as, wait for it!

he was one of the regulars that had been caught by the van parked on the land he owns, lol

I know that they definitely didn't have the owners permission as, wait for it!

he was one of the regulars that had been caught by the van parked on the land he owns, lol

Oh ffs shaun its getting better by the minute. Was the camera man also in the pub while the film was running. :Laugh:

Take them to court for trespass, you wont get the three points back, but hopefully you will get more than enough money to cover the fine.

Regardless whether it is private land or not, a camera van needs to obtain a permit to park where they are to do their business. It is very rare that they don't.
In this instance it will be interesting to see if they have the permission granted by the dft not realising it is private land.
If either they don't have a permit or the permit is invalid then all prosecution is invalid.
Also for a permit to be issued, they need to show that there is clear signage that there is enforcement using mobile cameras.

just an additional, if the area is seen as an accident blackspot, as in sudden increase, they may have got special authorisation from the secretary of state which overrides anything. It's not uncommon.

What constabulary is it mate?

Last edited:
shaun give the owner of the land a dig next time he is in the pub. Tell him trespassing is a punishable offence only he and he alone can sort this and who know's his fine could get stopped.

I know there sounds like an injustice but does it really matter.... doing 42 in a 30 is wrong.

i am sure there was indignation in the pub and everyone would have been saying the old bill or safety partnership where wrong to be there on land. booking people.

however if there was an accident in the same spot the very same people would be complaining that everybody speeds there and the police should do more and god forbid a child gets injured or dies then the police wouldn't ever hear the end of it.

don't get me wrong i am not without fault i speed like everybody else but its a risk you take and if you get caught take the punishment !

Yes you are quite right. My brother's best friend was knocked down and killed many years ago.

However, we don't know what the road is like. Is it a quiet road where people apply their common sense and increase speed because the road condition allows it and it is safe.

Does the van park there because it is a dangerous spot/area or it is a spot guaranteed to get tickets?

Just because it is legal, it does not make it right. Just because it is illegal it does not make it wrong.

In Worcestershire at least, many of the speed restrictions have been POLITCAL, roads reduced again and again to garner votes - roads that were 60mph 20 years ago are now 30mph!! For example, I used to live in a village 5 miles from Worcester - 4 miles of the road in-between was 60 mph, now there are only a few hundred meters of 60, the rest is 30!!!!
I predict that in another 20 year time, the County signs will say "Welcome to Worcestershire - Speed limit 30mph". The craziest limit is near Junction 6 - all the road approaching the motorway have had their speed limits reduced from 60 to 40, yet the motorway roundabout is still 60!!!

The result of this is that EVERYONE ignores some of the speed restrictions (even the Police), so when the gits decide to set up a camera, they are assured a rich harvest.

As someone who has been unable to walk without crutches and have now lost my job (I'm self employed) since August 5th because of a driver who thought the rules didn't count for him I have to strongly disagree with

Just because it is legal, it does not make it right. Just because it is illegal it does not make it wrong.

and

The result of this is that EVERYONE ignores some of the speed restrictions

The speed limits like most rules are put in for a reason ie to stop accidents like mine where a retard ploughed into the back of my car because he was thinking Just because it is illegal it does not make it wrong..

Believe me he was bloody wrong.
I am near to the point where I will be losing my home in January/Febuary if I don't start to walk again as my main source of income is not there if I cannot walk I cannot walk thus cannot pay my mortgage.

The roads are busier now than they were 20 or 30 years ago and that is why there are more speed restrictions it's simple mathmatics a 10 year old could work out.

It is difficult to be really objective about this when I know that I do 75 - 80 on the motorway. Only speed limits I really struggle with are where they put a blanket 20 mph zone from one end of an area to the other rather than just approaching and past schools. I used to live in the area concerned, have driven through the area for the last 20 years and there has not been a single incident reported in all that time. I do slow down to 25 and I equally know if I caused an injury to someone for not going all the way to 20 mph I would be devastated, but not as devastated as the person I injured! Bottom line is if you speed and get caught it goes with the territory. I don't know many people who have had speeding fines if they don't speed (I don't know any in fact but some of you may). That said I'm sure there are lots of those same legal drivers who have been distracted by something and have ploughed into someone or caused an accident. Sorry to hear your news Ellie1998, I can understand why this would be a sensitive issue for you. Hope you get sorted.

I would like to say that I have not been an angel myself and have 3 points on my license for jumping a red light.
I only understand why the rules are there since I found out in August why the rules are in place the hard way.

It's easy to be lax until something happens then you have to wake up and smell the roses.

Interesting mix of metaphors :)

The phrase "Wake up and smell the roses!" appears to be a conflation of two separate phrases, namely, "Wake up and smell the coffee!" and "Stop and smell the roses". This is confirmed to an extent by the following ngram :
xPFbA.png

Going by the graph, the two "source" phrases appear to have become popular in the 1970s while the conflated version appears to have done so in the 1980s.

Isn't Google wonderful?

Back