Connecting Laptop to TV

Falkirk_Bairn

Inactive User
Reaction score
Right, ive got loads of Films on my laptop and want to play them on my new HD TV. I use to watch them through my PS3 but it only works with certain files and i want to watch some videos through ITunes.

Currently, im using the cable from my old PC to connect them both and using the TV as a monitor for the laptop and its fine for general web browsing and pictures but when i put any videos on theres black lines all down the screen. There not massive lines and the picture is watchable but is there any better way to connect them to each other?

If theres no other way of connecting them is there any settings which i should adjust? Theres no settings that makes the picture better on the TV but is there any on the laptop?

Its a Sony TV and has virtually every kind of connection on the back of it.

VGA will get you the best picture from the laptop if there is no DVI or HDMI.

I hope you've got whats known as underscan rather than banding, as underscan is easy to fix by changing the resolution. Have you set the laptop to the native res of the TV? (720p is 1280x720, 1080p is 1920x1080)

VGA will get you the best picture from the laptop if there is no DVI or HDMI.

I hope you've got whats known as underscan rather than banding, as underscan is easy to fix by changing the resolution. Have you set the laptop to the native res of the TV? (720p is 1280x720, 1080p is 1920x1080)

That was the problem, Cheers mate. My laptop was set to 1366x768 which looks great on the laptop but crap on the tele.

Is there a way to set it when i connect the lappy to the TV it switches to the 1280x720?

Back