connect to a laptop on a router

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hi all,

Have a pc this one and i have a wireless router in the sitting room, attached to that is my cable box, my 360 and my laptop.

I can see the ip address of my laptop is 192.168.1.4 as that shows under connected devices.

When i type 192.168.1.1 i can get the admin page of the router.

Attached to the lap top is my share drive which is 400 gig of stuff that i'd like to be able to access from the pc.

When i type in 192.168.1.4 nothing happens.

some one point me in the right direction..

p.s lap top has windows home on it, does it need xp pro like whats on my pc?

Sharing hdd

Use the network setup wizard on each of the computers on the network.
Make sure they are all on the same workgroup.

On the laptop right click on the 400gb hdd and select properties then sharing and security. Make sure the drive is shareds with other users on the network and give it a share name and read/write permissions.

After that when you look at 'my network places' you should see all the computers and then when you click on the laptop it should show the connected hdd.

If the laptop had ip address 192.168.1.5 you should be able to access the hdd directly from explorer by typing \\192.168.1.5\<hdd share name>

Hope this helps.

just installing windows xp on the lap top so at least i'm working with the same version/system.

Thanks for the input i'm going to give that a go in a few minutes.

When i'm using the network set up wizzard on this pc then it asks me if other computers on the network sahre this connection, how ever the lap top next door will have it's own connection to the net so will that be a probelm?

thanks for the input.

Shouldn't be a problem, just select that iti has its own connectino, but if the network setup wizard doesn't meet your requirements, easiest way might be to give each computer on the network their own static ip. So long as they are on the same subnet and same workgroup they should all communicate fine.

In order to set these, right click on the connection and select properties then from the protocol box click on TCP/IP and select properties again. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 and all computers should be on the same subnet.

ie.
192.168.0.1 would be the router or gateway
192.168.0.10 could be computer 1
192.168.0.20 could be computer 2

Last edited:
ah man, now i can't connect from my pc to the wireless router, i have a connection from the pc to the router but when i type in 192.168.1.1 i get nothing now, this is after I've ran the network setup wizard not the static ip address.

So pc connected to the net via cable modem
Wireless card in the pc connected to the router

please help.

Hi mate, yeah done that and reset the router using the reset button then done the same with the wireless network card in me pc.

Created a password and set that up on both.

So plugged router back into sitting room and restarted pc then it found it and connected fine.(made a connection)

But now can't connect from pc like i used to be able to.

I had a similar weird problem after messing with the workgroup names. Just make sure first that all the computers being used are in the same Workgroup e.g. MSHOME.
Have you reset the cable modem at the same time? What model router is it?

Ok will check when i get home and repost mate, thanks very much for the assistance.

The router is one of them netgear ones. £70.00 or so i think it was.

No worries, sure someone should be able to help this evening.

Sorry mate, I was thinking aloud , resetting the modem wont have any effect if you cant see the admin page. Saying that...have you got any Internet access at all? As well as not being able to access the Admin page, can you access the web?
Do you just get the standard message "The page cannot be displayed" when typing 192.168.1.1?
Did you say the computer is connected via wireless now and its just that you cant access the Admin page? you never said...

Cheers

hi mate,

i have a cable modem attached to the computer via network card, this lets me connect to the net via this.

If i enable the wireless card it picks up the router and connects as i get the little green light and a " bing bong " through my speakers. (router in sitting room also with a modem connected)

If i look at the wireless by double clicking on the wireless symbol near the clock it tells me that it's connected. (can see network connection)

I used to be able to type the 192.168.1.1 and get the admin page on my pc ( in spare room) and if i wanted i could disconnect the cable modem and use the wireless to surf if i wanted too.

Maybe it's some thing to do with the network name that I've created like you say.

ok these are my settings under network set up wizzard and this is the screen shots from my net gear.

Internet connection settings:

Internet connection:Local Area Connection 3
Internet connection sharing: enabled
Windows Firewall: enabled
Workgroup name: NETGEAR

File and printer sharing is turned on. The Shared Documents folder and any files or printers you have shared are now available for others to use.

networkry1.jpg

network1pg6.jpg

ahhh sorted !!!!!

thank you thank you.

Had dhcp disabled and was giving the network card an ip address...omg don't know why.

I have enabled DHCP and i am back up and running, just a shame i no longer have the bloody lap top.... i'm not one to go around smashing things but things got on the top of me the other night and i put my fist through the screen of the lap top... disgrace really....oh well thats the shortest time i've ever had a lap top, less than 24 hrs......: shocked2

When i buy a new one i'll be back and you can help me set the network up, but for now looks like i'm back up and running the way it was...

Thanks again buddy

WEP is a terrible security set up and much harder to set up at that, change it to WPA PSK (pre shared key) and set up a password again.

WPA is for more secure and calm down...lol.

all sorted matey, see prev post...don't shout at me for smahing the laptop..lol

Yeah i saw it dibbers but still think you should change to WPA, but wait and see what others think aswell.

I was gonna mention the lappy but no sense really, whats done is done....lol

I dont suppose you need to now as you aint got a wireless alppy anymore...lol

i've never ever smashed any thing in my life, but things got the better of me and i didn't even think straight, had some bad news recently and tried to install xp pro and then i had a few driver problems and the screen started to flicker was trying to listen to a streaming radio station with me pals and that and the net was fooked, waited nearly a month for it to come around and then it all goes tits up, so the poor lap took took the brunt of the hammer fist..lololl...dam

wish i hadn't i ahve nothing to show for it and i'm 150.00 out of pocket....dam dam dam

I dont know if I have ever saw a problem not solved on this forum, sometimes it takes a while to iron out problems as its hard sometimes to fully understand the problem by reading posts but they are usually solved all the same...but we all make mistakes m8, you wont do it again I bet.

yeah i know, thats why i all ways try and post pictures and that to help people undertsand the probs thats a good idea i think.

Well least i'm back up and running with the netgear and it's a shame that i don't have the lappy to test the network out on now.

I'm quite ashamed at my self really, spending £150 nock on some thing and then smashing it to pieces. not funny now i think about it and not clever. but hey we all do things that we regret hu?

It was one of those times that blood boils and i didn't really know what i was doing (punching it, not installing drivers..lol)

dam thing... good job it wasn't the 50 inch tele......

Back