Commando v14 for the Dreambox 500s

renwich

Inactive User
Reaction score
Now with Usals and Rytec 2 day EPG

compiled from the UKCVS svn which includes fixes to the following

Scan Defaults to 28.2e, if you select another Sat it will save that as the last sat
Compatible driver for clones and Genuine DM500's

This image does not include any Cable support as cable is dead, but does fully support most of the normal Satellite requirements

as usual NO CAMS, KEYS, ROMS ,

all us neutrino users need now is for LraiZer to tweak the binary so it recognizes 256c png Picons).

With Thanks to LraiZer, PaphosAL, Satsearching, Scruff.

and to the Tuxbox boys for the work they have put into porting Neutrino to this fun box, (shame they seem to not continue development, or answer questions anymore)

THE PASSWORD is commando

pop CCcam into /var/bim/emu. select blue > extras menu > softcam menu, from there you can start the cam

( needs to be named "CCcam" )

New in Commando v14:

USALS (GOTO XX) diseqc support- thanks to Lraizer and Satsearching
Rytec 2 Day XML EPG - thanks to Lraizer
FastZap On-Off control in Driver/Boot Options
New head.ko Driver - thanks to LraiZer (support for alternative user driver to be loaded from /var/driver)
Softcam Status in softcam menu- again thanks to LraiZer
New boot logo - thanks to Satsearching
And, by popular demand, a retro blast from the past (2007 C9) is back. See if you notice it...
Top-secret Password is still commando
As usual- FTA Only - no keys nor cams. It's a rulez thing

AutoFS (CIFS mount tested) - Streaming - Tuxbox Commander - yWeb I/F - Lemmings - Pacman - Solitaire - Tetris - Vierg (Connect 4) - boot logo - Rytec 2 Day EPG with shellexec GUI - all this and more in C14!!

Despite the old Git's fetish with Free Space, we've enriched the new image with all these features, but have STILL maintained our world-beating 4.125MB megaMaxVar writeable JFFS2 var partition. So a typical user-customized C14 will provide something in the region of 3.3MB of Free Space!!

Anyone wishing to edit the SquashFS root partition with LraiZer's excellent Squazma Tools be warned: Your edited root must NOT exceed 2.752,512 bytes (0x2A0000h) in size!!

in the downloads

Last edited by a moderator:
I still cant get mgcamd to work with this... has anyone manage to get mg working with this yet?

It was compiled with support for MGcam, but libcrypto.0.9.7 needs adding, I think placing it in the same folder as the cam will allow it to be found by mgcam

It was compiled with support for MGcam, but libcrypto.0.9.7 needs adding, I think placing it in the same folder as the cam will allow it to be found by mgcam
still not working for me, tried it in just about evey folder except lib where its failin to transfer over

still not working for me, tried it in just about evey folder except lib where its failin to transfer over

It won't transfer to /lib as it's in a read only section.

Normally I would say rip out the read only section and add it but they have modified the filesystem so nothing can be added, so there is plenty of space in /var :(

As they say in the write up
As usual- FTA Only - no keys nor cams. It's a rulez thing

Update.

I have attached a modified c14 image for test purposes. If you put the libcryto.so.0.9.7 file in /var/lib then mgcamd will work for test purposes.

I must stress this is not an official mod from the c14 boys.

Last edited:
I can confirm that any ancilliary lib files required for any user-added utilities will definately function properly from /var/lib - as this folder is on the default search path (see /etc/profile line #3)

We know this works, because we did an add-on OpenVPN tarball that users reported as working fine (albeit on SSL not SSH), and this uses a much larger libcrypto.so.0.9.7 as well as an additional libssl file, both in /var/lib

However, I don't know if that libcrypto version is compatible with mgcamd. Perhaps someone can test it and feedback? (OpenVPN install is dead easy- see the readme included; or just extract the libcrypto file)

We have no plans to add libcrypto to squashfs root. Nothing to stop individual users doing this if they wish, though. Taking out out the Games should provide enough space to work with. Just heed the last paragraph of the release notes!

Cheers- AL :)

Last edited:
I have a copy of c14 downloaded from here and /etc/profile symlinks to /var/etc/profile which looks like this
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
Line 3 has nothing to do with /var/lib
My fixed image has this as /var/etc/profile
Code:
As you will see line 2 covers the library paths.

I have to assume that you are not using the release version otherwise your profile file would also be lacking the library line and you would not ask me to check line 3 if it wasn't there on your box.

I can confirm that any ancilliary lib files required for any user-added utilities will definately function properly from /var/lib - as this folder is on the default search path (see /etc/profile line #3)

We know this works, because we did an add-on OpenVPN tarball that users reported as working fine (albeit on SSL not SSH), and this uses a much larger libcrypto.so.0.9.7 as well as an additional libssl file, both in /var/lib

However, I don't know if that libcrypto version is compatible with mgcamd. Perhaps someone can test it and feedback? (OpenVPN install is dead easy- see the readme included; or just extract the libcrypto file)

<snip>

isnt there already an LD_LIBRARY_PATH export for /var/lib in the /etc/init.d/rcS file?

isnt there already an LD_LIBRARY_PATH export for /var/lib in the /etc/init.d/rcS file?

That doesn't work which is why I put it in /var/etc/profile.

I have attached two screendumps 1 from the released version and 1 from the modified version using set.

I can confirm 100% that mgcamd would not work for me until I modified the profile file.

Oh bollox, you're right, Ellie. Gawd knows how that happened, but I'll take the rap. I was going from memory when I wrote the above, as C14 wasn't on my testbox. :Dunce:

Have corrected this bug on Renny's build server, and we'll hopefully be re-releasing C14 over the next few days, the main reason being that we want to deploy Satsearching's new Keybinding Menu, with the added Volume key mapping. This will remove another neutrino annoyance, LOL!

Edit: I take it all back, Ellie- I'm not going round the bend after all. Check line #96 of /etc/init.d/rcS

Last edited:
We all do it, you have seen some of my balls ups recently with coding.
I'm sure the line was there in v12.

The new keybindings will be good, personally I like it the way it is, dm500 sound is always to low so I put it on 100 and leave it there, I adjust the surround sound or the tv. We had a poll on here ages ago and I lost 19 to 1 so I know most users like the remote so they can change the volume from the v+/v- buttons though I don't understand why myself.

Oh bollox, you're right, Ellie. Gawd knows how that happened, but I'll take the rap. I was going from memory when I wrote the above, as C14 wasn't on my testbox. :Dunce:

Have corrected this bug on Renny's build server, and we'll hopefully be re-releasing C14 over the next few days, the main reason being that we want to deploy Satsearching's new Keybinding Menu, with the added Volume key mapping. This will remove another neutrino annoyance, LOL!

Edit: I take it all back, Ellie- I'm not going round the bend after all. Check line #96 of /etc/init.d/rcS
that line doesn't work :(
something after it overides it back to defaults thats why I changed /var/etc/profile

Last edited:
Well, Ellie- I'm delighted to say that you're 100% wrong and that I'm 100% right. But don't worry, this won't spoil our wonderful friendship, m8!

I reflashed my dm500s testbox with the release C14, the same one as available here on DWZ.

I then FTP'd the OpenVPN tarball to /var/etc and rebooted. After the restart, OpenVPN is resident and running. Next, I deleted one of it's vital lib files that the auto-installer had just added: /var/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 - and rebooted.

Telnet ps now showed no signs of OpenVPN being resident. Manually tried it's startup command: . /var/bin/openvpn_script.sh start

and it returned this:
Code:

So this proves 100%, cast iron, guaranteed, that additional lib files in /var/lib most certainly ARE being read properly by C14 at boot!!

What if the libcrypto that some peeps are using for mgcamd isn't the correct version? I've attached the version that is generated by a build that incorporates mgcamd support, for testing and educational purposes only!!

Jeez- you've had me on a wild goose chase today, m8. I can't wait to read your 'umble grovelling apology...

Cheers- AL :lol:

Last edited:
Well, Ellie- I'm delighted to say that you're 100% wrong and that I'm 100% right. But don't worry, this won't spoil our wonderful friendship, m8!

I reflashed my dm500s testbox with the release C14, the same one as available here on DWZ.

I then FTP'd the OpenVPN tarball to /var/etc and rebooted. After the restart, OpenVPN is resident and running. Next, I deleted one of it's vital lib files that the auto-installer had just added: /var/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 - and rebooted.

Telnet ps now showed no signs of OpenVPN being resident. Manually tried it's startup command: . /var/bin/openvpn_script.sh start

and it returned this:
Code:

So this proves 100%, cast iron, guaranteed, that additional lib files in /var/lib most certainly ARE being read properly by C14 at boot!!

What if the libcrypto that some peeps are using for mgcamd isn't the correct version? I've attached the version that is generated by a build that incorporates mgcamd support, for testing and educational purposes only!!

Jeez- you've had me on a wild goose chase today, m8. I can't wait to read your 'umble grovelling apology...

Cheers- AL :lol:

The libcrypto file I use doesn't work unless I use the modified image, it will then work. It is of course the one I get from a compile that I use.

Your playing with openvpn try it with mgcamd.

I'm not the only one it doesn't work for, I only had a play because others were saying it doesn't work so I tested for myself and found it lacking here, thats why the modified image was posted.

The openvpn may be configured to search /var/lib without the lib path being set, I really don't know but mgcamd will not find the lib file on my box unless I set the lib path 1st.

Do you have the source for the openvpn ?

As I said try it with mgcamd as thats what the modified image is for, it's not to get openvpn working but mgcamd.

I don't understand why there would be a
umble grovelling apology...
for pointing out a problem and instead of whining about it I posted a fix. Would you prefer I just whined without offering a fix, I think you know me better than that by now ;).

Last edited:
a test file for you

put msgbox into /var/bin chmod 700
put oldfreetype.so.6 into /var/lib chmod 700
telnet in and type
msgbox
it will give a library error
then edit /var/etc/profile and add the library line
reboot the box
telnet in and type
msgbox

It will work.

This isn't guess work it is proving by testing.

I can only assume that openvpn is programmed to search in /var/lib but not all programs are programmed this way (mores the pity).

If you don't want to add the library line in the next release that is upto yourself but I will post the fix again if needed.

Ellie- I already told you above that the revised /var/etc/profile is in place on Renny's build machine for the C14 re-release, m8!

I cannot explain the anomaly when using the telnet set command, but agree that this anomaly exists in C14 release. I have the same path statements in rcS in my openpli image here, and telnet set does show the correct lib paths. My /var/etc/profile in this image merely adds a folder on my Ubuntu server mount to the /bin;/var/bin;/server path. Maybe LraiZer can throw some light on this mystery please?

I don't have the source code for OpenVPN, and I don't think we'll need it. I just ran the same tests again, but this time, with a modified root. I disabled line #96 in rcS

After installing OpenVPN, it no longer works! So there is no magic in that binary that auto-searches for /var/lib - it was C14 that was fooling vpn into thinking that it's two required lib files were sourced in /lib and not the /var/lib folder.

I'll run your mgcamd tests in the morning, but I'll be testing it with chmod 755 attributes...

from this mornings build, an educational test

without libcrypto.so.0.9.7

Code:
with libcrypto.so.0.9.7 in /var/lib

Code:

and while I was at it I've added OScam support, which works nicley as well

Last edited:
well thx guys mg is now up and running, and nicely i might add... differnately the most stable image for 500's!!! ABSOLUTLELY NO ISSUE WHAT SO EVER. lil bit difficult to get astra and hotbird together on a fix dish, but once ther up nothing but smoothe sailing.

Now all we need is a commando ver. tm500, 600 & dm600...

Commando 14.2 is out now with fixes from feedback of v14.

:banana:

Back