Coax Quality

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between cheap and expensive? Is it the amount of copper in the core and screen?

Cheers

Dar

Its the quality of the copper and the density of the screen if braided and foam.

Poor screening and EMC/RFI can cause the following

But if you followed the 100mm (or is it 50mm?) minimum requirement for separation of cables you should not really have this problem even with crap cable when running small distances around the home.

I think you should always keep power and non powered cable a minimum of 300mm away from each other... they can cross each other but not run in parallel!

But really the better quality cable will also produce a better quality signal, so while I said that above about the distance I would recommend using at least CT100 (which they stopped making in 2005) at a min, but HD100 would be ideal. or maybe WF100 or WF125

You should also think about the distance of the run as the cable will not effect the signal as much as say a bigger dish would.

If you had a dish on the end of a 100 meter run there would be allot of signal loss so a better cable would be a must but more than cable... would be a bigger dish a zone 2 sky mini dish would have an increase of about 50% (if I remember correctly) and a 88cm would be something like 90%... hence why we need large dishes for reception of foreign satellite and foreign countries need a larger dish for reception of SKY UK

Regards
Mick

Back