Citalopram Experiences

yottabit

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Hi there, just been prescribed Citalopram to calm my anxiety problems down. 1 a day at 10mg per tablet. Has anyone been on this medication before? if so whats you experience like?

Cheers,
Nick

I was on them for a while at first you may feel alittle more anxious takes about 2-4 weeks to kick in. I have a friend who takes 60mg a day and he swears by them.
If you have bad anxiety avoid smoking beer and sugar, sugar is in eveything and plays havoc with your mental health. Buy some magnesium citrate I find it calms me down when am feeling abit anxious.

no no def no no no, i was on 20mg and felt like a zombie, this might just be my own experience mind you

Thanks for replys guys. I've been taking them for 3days and feel a little tired. Hope they work though.

well i have had a few diff ones as my thryoid thing gives me anxiaty, you know what i find helps, doing things i like. what i mean is if i dont want to do something i just wont do it anymore means most people see me as a selfish bast but at least i am not an angry one anymore!!!

Was on 20mg a day for 4 months (its not recommended for long term use) for panic attacks. I suppose they did reduce the severity of the attacks but other than that the had little real effect. No tiredness, no zombie feelings or other nasty character changes.

feeling sick for a week or two,sleep like a baby,few blonde moments,cant stop yawning for first few weeks,overall did the job :proud:

Well i'm hoping it does the trick. I Was looking at getting some valium but i will give that a miss for now.

I get anxiety quite bad but i put it down to too much coffee and other stuff ive done in the past. I try to beat it by myself though by doing things that give me the worst anxiety like meeting people i don't know etc.

Well i'm hoping it does the trick. I Was looking at getting some valium but i will give that a miss for now.

Valium is not the best thing as it very addictive and over time you need more.
I very much doubt any GP will give it to you. After a short time your Doctor may increase the medication your taking as the normal starting dose is 20mg of Citalopram. Hope you find some relief as anxiety can become so disabling which can lead to depression over time.

I've been on citalopram 50mg daily for a few years now for anxiety trauma and depression along with thyroid medication. To start with you feel very low until the medication kicks in properly but this is not a cure it only assists you in dealing with the situation you are in.
I can still lose it and throw things or punch doors even now, this illness can ruin your life but others don't understand what you are going through, all my mates disappeared once i was diagnosed as they don't know what to say or do.
It's now you find out who your real friends are, yes, there the one's who are still there for you.

I've been on citalopram 50mg daily for a few years now for anxiety trauma and depression along with thyroid medication. To start with you feel very low until the medication kicks in properly but this is not a cure it only assists you in dealing with the situation you are in.
I can still lose it and throw things or punch doors even now, this illness can ruin your life but others don't understand what you are going through, all my mates disappeared once i was diagnosed as they don't know what to say or do.
It's now you find out who your real friends are, yes, there the one's who are still there for you.

Thats so true how many people turn there back on you. Alot of times family don't even understand.

never a truer word said mate, at a few times we need to vent even at others its a great feeling when you have mates and a mrs who try and help, honst i feel crappy when i am on the warpath but me best mate and wife always seem to know what to do to stop it and i would be lost totally lost without them:proud:

Thats so true how many people turn there back on you. Alot of times family don't even understand.

Don't understand what, anxiety and panic attacks?

Mood swings and aggression isn't anxiety related, that's downright madness. ;)

Thanks for all your input guys. I will tell you how i am getting on in about 4weeks.

I get anxiety quite bad but i put it down to too much coffee and other stuff ive done in the past. I try to beat it by myself though by doing things that give me the worst anxiety like meeting people i don't know etc.

good advise,also alcohol doesnt help as the anxiety is worsened by an hangover

have a read up on cognitive therapy

you will find that citalopram increases serotonin levels in your brain - alcohol infact reduces serotonin especially when hung over hence the feeling of depressed after drinking

The wife has been on these for a long time and they have done the trick for her. No Long term effects have been mentioned by her doctor and she has been pregnant whilst on them so can't be that bad.
On a side note, I would mither like fu*k to get to see a psychiatrist. The wife's anxiety was all related to her home life when she was a kid. After talking it through with a psychiatrist and getting some "coping" mechanisms and "tricks" in place she was able to half her dose and cope better than before. I fear that she may never come off them now though, I feel they are a crutch which once removed gives her something to focus her anxieties on.
I haven't suffered myself but feel for all the guys who have posted their experiences. It isn't easy to explain feelings full stop, especially when they seem so irrational.
Good luck
Wizbit77

i have bad anxiety and depression started on ssri citalapram but did not get on with it, done sertraline a bit better but now i have found venlafaxine is the best for anxiety but im on the full dose of 225mg per day and sometimes the odd valuim if it gets to much although please dont use valuim as a long term thing as i became addicted to them, xanax is also a benzo but i found them even more addictive than vals, everyone is different, im going to try cbt very soon ill let u guys know how i get on!

The Docs took away my medication and prescribed me a straight jacket.

These days I self medicate with Tennetslageropram.

Back