Chinese phones from OnePlus, Xiaomi, and Oppo are laced with spyware

I've used OnePlus phones for the past 6 years as they have been really good quality and comparable spec to the new iPhones brought out at the time of purchase for half the price. Thankfully I didn't buy mine from China so I should be good.

Xiaomi, my partner has used one of them for the past year and by default that uploads all your photos to there own cloud service (had to disable that).

Personally I wouldn't be that worried, as if you have Google on your phone anyway they are probably gathering just as much data too I expect. People just need to use there common sense, if there is stuff they want private then don't put onto your phone unless in a locked folder etc.

They often like to make how that the Chinese are gathering all this data, but I bet they aren't the only ones doing it.

Key missing from headline is

The analysis was conducted on mobile devices sold in China which run local Android distributions, so consumers in international markets need not worry. Consumers who bought their devices in China, such as business travelers and students, should be wary though, as the study found that the data collection behaviors do not change even after a user leaves the country.
The Chinese versions of Android overlays have three to four times more preinstalled third-party apps than international versions intended for consumers in Europe and elsewhere and are granted eight to ten times more permissions.

^^
They're coming for you Dale, it's only a matter of time...... Lol ;)

Back