changing vehicles and disabled tax

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The sister in law is disabled with severe arthritis and she's changing her car to a second hand car from a private trader. What and when does she need to do as the car is about 100 mile away. She's trading her car in on the day which has disabled tax on it.

Also if she taxes it at a post office tell her to keep the receipt as it can take 5 days + to show up on the dvla database.

I don't think so anyway when the wife bought he new car her old one had 10 months tax on it and it stayed with the car

You get an automatic refund from dvla when you send in the sold section of your V5 mate

All done online with the V5 form,

I got a check sent through the post in less than a week

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

to get the tax free under the disabled scheme the tax class of the car needs to be changed from private to disabled
you need to take new keeper slip and fill out another form at the post office, think its a v62

- - - Updated - - -

Change your vehicle's tax class - GOV.UK

First she said thankyou for the help ,
The sister in law is waiting on a new DLA 404 exempt certificate as she needs a new to tax it, thing is, it takes 7-10 days and she's picking up her car tomorrow.

She has sorted her insurance out so whats her best option ?, buy a months tax ?. If also can she claim it back ?. And, how does she get the disabled tax removed from her old car once the person take the car in a trade in ?

best option is to tax it for 6 months and pay by direct debit this way when she has sorted the forms she can then call the dvla and get the direct debit cancelled
no refund needed
as for old car the dvla will cancel the tax as new owner will have to do the same process to make the car class private as its still disabled even when transferred

I agree, but 12 months is cheaper monthly than the 6 months and you can cancel soon as you receive your new exemption certificate

Back