Changing sky+ box

pipsqueaker

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi pilgrims
i've got the old white plus box but i've been given a nearly new sky+hd box.
I suppose it's not just a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one.
Help would be appreciated.

Also if I can, what can I do with the numerous programs still on the old box.
many thanks

first thing is if you have the premium channels

you will need to pair the card with new box best of luck with that point

i may be wrong but dont think you can do much with the old programs i never use there bloated boxes

first thing is if you have the premium channels

you will need to pair the card with new box best of luck with that point

i may be wrong but dont think you can do much with the old programs i never use there bloated boxes

Thanks for rapid reply. I only have basic Sky subscription.

Thanks for rapid reply. I only have basic Sky subscription.

If you just have basic card with standard definition picture it should just be a matter of putting in the card - High Definition and premium content needs pairing. This involves connecting the box to the phone line and letting it 'phone home'.

Programs on the old one cannot be transferred. You will need to put back your card and reconnect the old box to see them.

Alternatively hook the output of the old box into a dvd recorder and play old box shows burning onto dvd if you need them saved.

You will have to pair the card to the box (either by phoning Sly, online or by connecting box to phone line as mentioned above) otherwise the recording functions will only work with FTA channels.

There is a program you can download to a PC called 'Copy+' (I think) whereby you can transfer the recordings from one hard drive to another, thus you could theoretically save your old recordings, but it is fiddly, as you need to physically remove the drives from their respective boxes (easy on the Sly+, not so easy on most HD boxes) and of course you would need the various connectors to hook them up to your PC. Perfectly do-able but not for the faint-hearted :grayno:

Thanks both of you.
There is a Sata socket on the rear of the new box.
Do you know what that's for
I am actually thinking of taking the old hard drive from box anyway.
If i put that into a caddy, can I connect it to the USB port on the new box

Last edited:
You cannot pair the card correctly for premium features which includes recording doing a Call back, for this you will have to call and give them the serial and version number of the new box

Back