<b>Van Nistelrooy: Ruthless<b>

- Champions League 2002/3 2nd Phase

- Becks is still my boy: Fergie

Manchester Utd 2-1 Juventus
Brown 3
Van Nistelrooy 83 Nedved 90

CL Phase Two, Group D, Feb 19 2003

Scott Barefoot reports

Old Trafford empire struck back on the European frontier, as the man at the centre of 'Scar Wars' proved his heart remains solely with Manchester United.

David Beckham may have received a boot in the face from Sir Alex Ferguson after the FA Cup defeat by Arsenal on Saturday, but he put one in the eye of sickly Juventus.

Beckham was the architect of both goals and easily the most impressive player in a red shirt - so much for the reports of his unhappiness under Ferguson's rule.

The England skipper's all-energy display amid some uncompromising - if typically Italian - treatment stood out in a United side that was made to fight every step of the way.

Without the likes of Gigi Buffon, Marcelo Salas, Marco di Vaio and Lilian Thuram due to flu, plus Alessandro del Piero and Antonio Conte because of injury, Juve dominated for long spells.

And they did much to explain why they sit top of the Serie A table, pegging United back in their own half for much of a contest that coach Marcelo Lippi had all but given up before kick-off.

The virus which affected the Italian camp was deemed so bad that they made a formal request to UEFA for the game to be postponed, an approach chief operating officer Gerhard Aigner rejected.

And Aigner was proved right as only one of the selected XI was without Serie A action this campaign - keeper Antonio Chimenti - as Juve easily managed to do their proud history credit.

United, who sit at the top of Group D with a 100% record from three games, were on their way to cancelling out that defeat to the Gunners just moments after kick off.

The inexperienced Chimenti started his evening by picking the ball out of the net as Brown thundered home his first ever senior goal with a towering header.

Ferguson said the 'Bootgate' incident was a freakish one in a million occurence but a goal from Brown is equally as rare.

With the irrepressible Nedved at the hub, Juve dominated until the break and their pacy and enterprising play often bewildered United's five-man midfield, who left van Nistelrooy isolated for long spells.

Late on he proved that when given quality of service he can do it all on his own anyway, and his dink over a stranded Chimenti six minutes from time was a goal of the highest order.

Before the Dutchman's strike - his 29th of the season - and with the scores at 1-1, Juve had hinted that an equaliser was within them, with the lively Marcelo Zayaleta providing able support to the wispish Nedved.

Nedved belatedly made his mark when he cut inside from the left and found the far corner with a right foot shot in injury time, but United had already made the points safe thanks to van Nistelrooy.

In all honesty it should have been even worse for the Italians but for an atrocious refereeing decision by Kim Milton Nielsen that bailed them out.

The Dane played an advantage when van Nistelrooy was chopped down in the area by Chimenti, expecting the advancing Paul Scholes to slot into an open goal but he hit a post from an acute angle.

Nevertheless, a trying few days ended in the best possible fashion for Ferguson's boot camp, with Beckham reminding one and all that his feet occasionally grab the headlines.

Manchester United: 1-Fabien Barthez; 2-Gary Neville, 6-Rio Ferdinand, 24-Wes Brown, 27-Mikael Silvestre; 7-David Beckham, 8-Nicky Butt, 16-Roy Keane, 18-Paul Scholes, 11-Ryan Giggs; 10-Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Juventus: 12-Antonio Chimenti; 14-Cristian Zenoni, 2-Ciro Ferrara, 4-Paolo Montero, 7-Gianluca Pessotto; 16-Mauro Camoranesi, 8-Antonio Conte, 3-Alessio Tacchinardi, 26-Edgar Davids, 11-Pavel Nedved; 17-David Trezeguet.

Scoot RUUUUUDDDDDDDDD !!!!!

;) :mexican: :salute:

were on their way to cancelling out that defeat to the Gunners just moments after kick off.

how can you cancell out a victory ???

and i guess that if you cancelled out the victory of the gunners then you must have cancelled it back in by the dreadful performance against bolton lmfao.

i wonder will man u win a trophey this season or will they finsih 3rd or even 5th like there last seasons worth of football lol

just as well it was the juve reserve team u were playing eh scoot!

lol
owenzy.

sorry scoot!

take the last post back m8,
well done on ur team getting thru!

owenzy.

p.s.
c'mon the celts!
:Frog: :Jester:

ONE OF THE GREATEST EUOROPEAN RESULTS EVER?

just as well it was the juve reserve team u were playing eh scoot!

yep m8s ,

We sent our reserve team out and thrashed them,

a team that had never had a goal scored against them at home this time,

whooooooooooo, hoooooooooooooo,

Godd job they didnt sell giggsy like I said eh Mickie lol

but now its over to you tonite,

the Scoot will be waiting!!!!:eek:

Well done my beloved reds even the comentators didnt give us a hope with juve having their strongest team out!!

Scoot;)

ok scoootttieeeee
well done the red b*stards good game

that hurt
lol

yeah man u played well, really well !!!

and you was the one crying sell giggs lol.

man u ~ a guys... its what we come to expect though

and i am glad he shut you lot up ... fans boo'ing one of the best players ever to come from man u.

they will go and lose in the premier though lol, beat on of the best teams in europe and play awful in the premier lmao.

to be honest scoot and i am being 100% if we go out (a big possabillity) this round then i think you will probably win europe, if you dont get a team like real or valencia, and maybe barcalona.

but if we go through this group i think its our time to shine !

but if we go out we still got the premier and the fa to fall back on lol

Back