Celtic FC Thread

And the following is the reason that any decent rangers fan, should insist that the history does not follow the new club. Any fan who has this mindset should be left to rot with the corpse of rangers.

You really have no idea of the extent of ill feeling towards RFC(IL) from fans of other SPL clubs
You don’t care that your club cheated every other club for possibly over 20 yrs.
You don’t care that because of your clubs actions every other club were denied a level playing field and the chance to win trophys etc.
You don’t care that your club had the tacit approval of a complicite media that never questioned where the money was comming from.
You don’t care that small buissneses have suffered as a result of your club not paying it’s bills.
You don’t care that you signed players, Jelevic etc, from other clubs that will never be paid.
You don’t care that no one likes you.
You don’t understand the meaning of justice and integrity
You don’t know what dignity is.
You will never be forgotten for all the pain you have brought to the game in this country and you wont be missed.

I'm not a fan of either of the old firm,but in fairness you cannot blame the supporters for all the above, this in my opinion is what breeds hatred,

Surely we are the generation that should teach our children to learn from our mistakes and put all this type of generational bad feeling to bed once and for all,

I for one wish them all the best for the future,in whatever form that takes,

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Fergus: Fly the Flag?

Posted on June 14, 2012 by Private Land

Celtic fans will remember that Fergus McCann was largely responsible for the survival of the club in 1995. They may also remember that when Fergus & Tommy Boyd unfurled the League Championship flag at Celtic Park in 1999, McCann was met by cat-calls from some sections of the Celtic support.

The antipathy towards McCann arose from the fans’ displeasure at his refusal to “splash the cash”. Now that the consequence of spending beyond one’s means can be seen in the recent demise of Rangers Football Club, Fergus’s prescience trumps the hindsight of most.

In those circumstances, I wonder how many fans would support the return of Fergus next year to do the honours at the flag-raising ceremony? Just as a wee thank you for his vision that ensured the survival of the club and its continued existence in stark contrast to Rangers – or as a heartfelt apology for the ungrateful sentiments expressed last time?

I would appreciate comments and observations from voters as I will ensure that Celtic get to see the outcome and hear of those sentiments.

too vote click below

Fergus: Fly the Flag? | Octavedoc Blog

And the following is the reason that any decent rangers fan, should insist that the history does not follow the new club. Any fan who has this mindset should be left to rot with the corpse of rangers.

You really have no idea of the extent of ill feeling towards RFC(IL) from fans of other SPL clubs
You don’t care that your club cheated every other club for possibly over 20 yrs.
You don’t care that because of your clubs actions every other club were denied a level playing field and the chance to win trophys etc.
You don’t care that your club had the tacit approval of a complicite media that never questioned where the money was comming from.
You don’t care that small buissneses have suffered as a result of your club not paying it’s bills.
You don’t care that you signed players, Jelevic etc, from other clubs that will never be paid.
You don’t care that no one likes you.
You don’t understand the meaning of justice and integrity
You don’t know what dignity is.
You will never be forgotten for all the pain you have brought to the game in this country and you wont be missed.

i've not commented on this saga or on the forum really for a while but this is the feeling of the online motherwell support mate the only thing is i can see as a downside of their demise is scottish footy going completely part time due to huge loss in revenue....you have no idea how skint the clubs are outwith the old firm :( they allowed the old firm to dominate and its basically the tory system of doing things...make the rich richer and the poor poorer..

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I'm not a fan of either of the old firm,but in fairness you cannot blame the supporters for all the above, this in my opinion is what breeds hatred,

Wise words indeed.

I agree that you cannot blame the Rangers supporters for the gross mismanagement of their club, but I do think that they need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Some of the nonsense that is being spouted elsewhere on the forum is getting embarrassing.

Jim McColl has done well for himself since The Beechgrove Garden

By Tam Cowan on Jun 16, 12 07:25 AM in

IT was revealed this week that Westlife singer Shane Filan has been declared bankrupt.

Don't worry, mate. Just start calling yourself "The" Shane Filan and the rest of the acts in the Top Ten will probably welcome you back with open arms.

Staying with the music theme, pop pickers, perhaps it's time to replace Roy "Penny Arcade" Orbison at Ibrox.

Surely the Newco should run out the tunnel to a song from 80s band The The? Remember them?

Apart from a track called Shades Of Blue (very appropriate), a quick bit of research revealed their other singles included Confused Subject, Cold Spell Ahead, Uncertain Smile and, my favourite, Armageddon Days Are Here Again.

Hey, come on, it's not all bad news for Rangers. Sure, 140 years of history may have been wiped out this week but I hear they are hot favourites for next year's Challenge Cup.

Shouldn't laugh, I suppose, but it's hard not to smile when you hear the usual suspects (club legends and the usual acolytes in the media) going into fake panic mode at the very thought of Scottish football with no Rangers in the SPL.

Where was their concern for our game whenever there was the slightest sniff of Rangers doing a runner to England?

Just about every former player from the nine-in-a-row era has been bumping his gums about the top flight being unable to prosper without the mighty Rangers.

Changed days, eh? Remember when they were looking for our blessing to quit the SPL and started giving us all that patronising patter about the league being more competitive without the Old Firm?

Funny how they're suddenly so keen to be part of a league once dismissed as a Mickey Mouse set-up.

If we're being honest, the SPL is a Mickey Mouse league. But any old notion that Rangers are too big for it was surely dismissed this week when the death of RFC wasn't even mentioned on the UK news bulletins or the Euro 2012 programmes broadcast by both the BBC and ITV.

Harry Redknapp's sacking at Spurs? That was discussed at length during ITV's highlights package on Wednesday but the liquidation of Rangers? Didn't merit a mention.

Rangers were a big fish in a small pond but now they're floundering by the side of the pool and we still don't know if they'll be chucked back in.

Allowing "The" Rangers straight back into the SPL will rip the heart out of Scottish football.

What's to stop other clubs from dodging their taxes, going into liquidation and re-emerging as, say, The St Mirren or The Kilmarnock?

Killie have already nailed their colours to the mast with chairman Michael Johnston admitting he'll vote for the newco to be admitted to the SPL regardless of what Kilmarnock fans think.

Hardly surprising. Let's face it, if Charles Green broke into the Killie trophy room and stole the League Cup before flogging it to Cash Converters, Johnston would still side with Rangers.

However, with the £800,000 they were owed for Lee Wallace having presumably vanished into thin air, no prizes for guessing how Hearts will vote. As for the other SPL clubs, will sporting integrity be sold for financial self-interest? I reckon the answer is yes - unless the majority of club chairmen suddenly grow a pair.

The fans are supposed to be the most important people in football and a huge majority (95 per cent according to the last SPL survey) are opposed to "The" Rangers crawling back into the Premier League.

So surely The The clubs must listen to paying punters? But don't hold your breath.

I've said since day one of this saga it would be unfair on the diehards, who have pumped millions into Rangers since the Souness revolution, to chuck their club into the Third Division.

But the failure to impose such a tough sanction would be equally unfair on the diehard fans of all the other clubs who spent fortunes to watch their team being effectively cheated by Rangers.

As a Motherwell fan, I love the opportunity to beat either half of the Old Firm but I'm now willing to wait three seasons for another crack at Rangers.

The clubs now have a straight choice to make - Sky TV money or season-ticket revenue? What's worth more to the SPL outfits?

I'm no accountant but surely losing 5000 visiting Rangers fans twice a year is better than running the risk of losing 95 per cent of your home support for the entire season?

Do the clubs honestly think supporters aren't serious about a mass boycott? Of course, none of this would even be a talking point if it was St Mirren, Killie or St Johnstone being issued with a death certificate.

They'd have been booted into Division Three without hesitation.

But it's all so confusing. And your average Scottish football fan has been stoating about these past few weeks like Jim from Taxi.

Just when we thought the final chapter had been written in football's version of War and Peace, up pops Walter Smith to say he'll save his beloved Rangers. Eh?

According to the text I received last night, Walter is now on a jet bound for Dallas to see if he can also stop the assassination of John F Kennedy.

Apparently he acted after hearing a pal crying his heart out over his beloved Rangers (I must have missed that edition of Sportsound) and now he wants to rebuild the club.

Sorry to be a pedant, Walter, but you can't. The club's dead. You'd be as well trying to give Roy Orbison the kiss of life.

However, I've absolutely no doubt he will be back at Ibrox with "The" Rangers. And, with Ally McCoist in the dug-out, perhaps they'll go for the hat-trick and bring back Sir David Murray as well. Coisty's unshaven look surprised a lot of folk the other day but, like any Rangers fan, perhaps he's been advised to stay away from any razor blades.

Walter's wee consortium includes Douglas Park of Park's of Hamilton fame (the fella who first showed Waldo how to park the bus) and the billionaire Jim McColl.

He's done well for himself since The Beechgrove Garden, eh?

Just one question - where exactly were these big hitters when Murray was flogging the club to Craig Whyte for a pound?

Ah yes, Sir Dave.

Listen, folks, forget all this week's dramatic headlines. It wasn't the taxman who buried Rangers - it was the club's past owners. And I would be flabbergasted if Sir Dave received any sympathy from Airdrie fans after famously putting the Lanarkshire club out of business with a winding-up order a decade ago.

It has been rumoured Sky might still do a deal to show all the Rangers games on The History Channel.

But I wonder if STV fancy revamping their old lower league programme, Football First, and calling it Football Third so we can still watch Rangers games on the telly?

In saying that, despite all the scaremongering, I'm convinced Sky Sports would still fork out to show Rangers in Division Three.

Do you honestly think the Celtic fans would cancel their subscriptions if that meant not being able to watch their old rivals slumming it with East Stirling and Annan?

No chance.

If anything, Rupert Murdoch's profits would go through the roof.

Jim McColl has done well for himself since The Beechgrove Garden - The Daily Record - Tam Cowan

Wise words indeed.

I agree that you cannot blame the Rangers supporters for the gross mismanagement of their club, but I do think that they need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Some of the nonsense that is being spouted elsewhere on the forum is getting embarrassing.

i agree, was just reading some of the nonsense my self on the rangers thread. Talking of which im surprised that none of the mods have changed the title too "THE" rangers thread, so we can all kid on nothing has changed.

so im guessing that all the rangers fans are against "THE RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB 2012/2013" unless they, sell to walter smith. so are you all going to boycott them next year(more likely the following year) if green is still at the helm??

charles green has no intentions of running a football club, he just wanted his hands on the assests, so he can rent them back to someone else. and all the rangers fans helped him along, instead of asking some serious questions of this guy, at least craig whyte was fly about what he was upto, this charles green was singing it from the heavens and the media lapped it up as usual, and put some positive spin on it. and the knuckle draggers believed every word.

but of course it wouldnt be their fault, they were duped........ again......... and again........... and again

At its meeting earlier today, the SPL Board considered a number of issues relating to Rangers FC.

EBT Investigation

The SPL Board heard a report from its solicitors following the investigation into payments to, or for the benefit of, players allegedly made by Rangers FC outside of contract.

The delay in concluding the investigation was caused by an initial lack of co-operation from Rangers FC.

The investigation has now been completed and, in the view of the SPL, there is a prima facie case to answer in respect of its Rules.

Disciplinary charges will be brought when the future status of Rangers FC is clarified and prior to the start of season 2012/13.

General Meeting

An application for registration of transfer of Rangers’ SPL share has been received. Consideration of the application will depend on receipt by the SPL Board of all required documentation and verification.

A general meeting of all 12 member clubs has been convened for 10am on Wednesday 4 July 2012 for members to decide whether to approve the transfer.

Scottish Premier League

On June 14, 2012, 140 years of Scottish sporting history ended with the liquidation of Rangers Football Club, following the rejection of the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) which Rangers administrators Duff & Phelps had presented to the club’s creditors.

Rangers Football Club no longer exists. It follows Third Lanark, Airdieonians and Gretna as Scottish clubs who have gone out of business in the past 50 years.

Scottish football’s governing bodies will now be asked to admit a successor club to Rangers FC into the Scottish soccer pyramid.

This being a successor club to Rangers FC though, it’s not quite as simple as that—this club wants to be readmitted at the top, not the bottom of the pyramid, and things are gonna get messy.

First off, following the rejection of the CVA by UK tax authority HMRC, Rangers’ administrators sold Ibrox Stadium and Murray Park to Sevco Ltd., the corporate vehicle for a consortium led by Yorkshire businessman and former Sheffield United FC Chief Executive, Charles Green.

Sevco have since announced that they will henceforth be called “The Rangers FC,” and have applied to join the SPL.

It’s like me buying a set of golf clubs that once belonged to Jack Nicklaus, changing my name to The Jack Nicklaus and claiming Jack Nicklaus’ place on the PGA Tour.

On the basis that they now own Ibrox Stadium and Murray Park, The Rangers Football Club now claim that they should be allowed to join Scottish football not in the Scottish Football League Division Three, but in the SPL.

This gives Scottish football’s governing bodies a decision to make. Several long-established Junior clubs have previously applied to join the Scottish Football League when vacancies have arisen, and many would argue that they are far more deserving of a place than The Rangers FC.

The Rangers FC have not only never played a match—at the moment they have no players and have never been a member of any soccer league.

Either the SFL will treat The Rangers FC like any other club, or they will treat them as a special case. If they choose the latter course, professional soccer in Scotland can no longer make any claim to be a sporting competition.

Let’s consider what the Green consortium is attempting to do.

It is taking advantage of a situation whereby a soccer club with huge support has recklessly spent other people’s money, fielded ineligible players and defrauded the UK tax authorities and numerous other creditors over almost two decades.

The Green consortium is now trying to persuade the supporters of this club that their club somehow lives on in The Rangers FC.

What Green is in effect saying to Rangers FC creditors is, “Tax bill? Unpaid transfer fees? Unpaid debts? Sorry buddy, that was RANGERS FC—nothing to do with us, we’re THE Rangers FC.”

On the other hand, he is telling the Scottish football authorities and former fans of the now defunct Rangers FC, “54 titles? 33 Scottish Cups? 27 Scottish League Cups? 1972 European Cup Winners Cup? YEAH! That’s us! We’re still alive!”

Green is no Rangers fan. He is an outsider chasing a quick buck from the desires of legions of Rangers fans who believe their club lives on.

He is attempting to cash in on the desire of the Scottish football authorities to keep some form of Rangers FC alive, partly out of pro-Rangers sentiment (SFA President RC Ogilvie is a former Rangers FC director who received cash payments from Rangers FC’s EBT scheme), and partly out of purely financial considerations.

There is not sporting argument for allowing Green’s The Rangers FC into the SPL. It is based purely on greed and would establish the principle that Scottish soccer clubs can dump any amount of debt they run up chasing silverware, then promptly phoenix and rejoin the SPL with no meaningful consequences at all.

The story doesn’t end there.

After Rangers FC were liquidated on Thursday, former Rangers manager Walter Smith rode in on a white charger proclaiming his desire to “save” the club, making a last-ditch attempt to take the assets from under Green’s nose.

If this was an attempt to save the Rangers, it would be like trying to stop JFK’s assassination by travelling to Dallas today and shouting, “Duck, Mr. President!”

Smith claims to have the financial backing of a group of prominent Scottish businessmen with impeccable Rangers-supporting credentials. It would appear that they retain an interest in buying Ibrox Stadium and Murray Park from Sevco.

Like Green, Smith and his consortium had no intention of paying Rangers FC’s debts, and hoped to buy the assets at a knock-down price and start a new club to take the Rangers’ place in the SPL.

It now appears likely that there will be a battle for the hearts and minds of the former fans of the now-defunct Rangers FC, with Green holding the assets of the liquidated club, while Smith and his backers very definitely have the fans on their side.

It is thought likely that at some point in the not-too-distant future, Green will sell to Smith’s consortium for a healthy profit.

One final consideration.

Rangers FC, the now-defunct football club with 140 years worth of history behind them, had a deadline to meet on June 15, (the day after they were liquidated). They had until then to lodge audited accounts for the financial year with the SPL. This was required so that they could be granted a license to play in the SPL next season.

Now, The Rangers FC, if they wish to be granted a license to play next season, must submit three years worth of audited accounts to obtain a license to play in the SPL. As a brand new club, it would be impossible for The Rangers FC to submit even one week’s worth of audited accounts.

It now falls to the SPL clubs to decide whether to allow The Rangers FC membership of the SPL. They require the support of eight of the 12.

At this moment, it is thought that Celtic FC, Aberdeen FC and Hibernian FC intend to vote against, while Dundee United FC, Heart of Midlothian FC and Motherwell FC are undecided, but not looking favourably upon the application.

This being Scotland, the BBC reports that the now-defunct Rangers FC will actually be allowed to cast a vote on allowing The Rangers FC to join.

Two things are clear today:

1. The Rangers FC are NOT Rangers FC, which has been liquidated and no longer exists. The Rangers FC merely own some bricks and mortar which once belonged to the now-defunct club. There is no sporting argument for allowing The Rangers FC into the SPL.

2. The Rangers FC, Scotland’s newest football club, have never played a game and have no players. The governing bodies of Scottish soccer must decide whether money or sporting integrity is the most important consideration when they decide what to do with the sporting equivalent of Frankenstein’s monster.

There should be no sanctions for THE Rangers Football Club that are the fault of the now dead rangers, as they are not the same club. The rules should be followed to the letter, as they, have been, and would for any other club. And in this situation, it seems as if the SFA may have actually begun to grow a pair over the last few days, and are about to apply them as they stand.

the following statements from 2 newspaper articles make me think that they will.

"Consideration of the application will depend on receipt by the SPL Board of all required documentation and verification.

"A general meeting of all 12 member clubs has been convened for 10am on Wednesday, 4 July 2012 for members to decide whether to approve the transfer."

Rangers in crisis: SPL clubs to vote on top-flight future of newco on July 4 - The Daily Record

“There was a change in the rules which took the decision making away from the board. The clubs now have to make that decision. If there is the verification and documentation the board require (from the newco), then the clubs will have a decision to make on 4 July.”

Ranger liquidation: SPL

So i think that we wont even get to the 4th July before the application is rejected, and it means none of the clubs will need to vote. the rules as they stand say that any club wishing to join the scottish leagues must have 3 yrs audited and verified accounts, which is impossible for a club which is BRAND NEW to have. So their application falls at the first hurdle, and does not require the other clubs to vote on it. This is the same rule that Uefa/Fifa use for european club membership, the very same rule that is being applied to keep THE Rangers Football Club out of europe for the next 3 yrs.

im not sure if this rule applies specifically to SPL membership, or it applies to all of scottish professional football, but given that its a Uefa/Fifa rule then i would assume it does. Meaning if their application is refused on these grounds, for entry to the spl, then it will also mean they wont be able to even apply to division 3 for 3 yrs.

A TALENTED 10-year-old Greenock boy is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his heroes after signing for Rangers.

Gers fan Ryan Docherty has been training at the club's Murray Park academy for some time and has now put pen to paper and joined the club he supports.

The youngster first started kicking a ball at three-years-old and played for St Andrew's Boys' Club before he came to the attention of the scouts at Rangers.

Boy wonder Ryan hopes one day he will get to walk out of the tunnel at Ibrox as a first-team player.

He said: "I just love scoring goals.

"My favourite players are Steven Naismith and Nacho Novo."

Ryan's proud parents, dad Hugh and mum Donna, of Auchendarroch Street, are delighted at his achievements so far.

Hugh said: "He is playing under some brilliant coaches at Murray Park and it is a dream come true for Ryan.

"He is so committed and we're all Rangers fans, so it is fantastic."

Ryan and his family would like to thank everyone who has supported him, including St Andrew's BC, and the coaches at Murray Park.

Ryan, 10, signs for Rangers / Greenock Telegraph / News / Greenock

looks like the rangers back up plan is in full swing, in case they dont get into spl or div 3

"We wish the new Rangers Football Club every good fortune."

that smells like a wee dig to remind them that they ain't the same club. especially when they are not allowed to use the name The Rangers Football Club just now

hopefully everyone of them go tits up.
by
Do not mention me on this thread .

this is the type of attitude, that has been getting expressed by the majority of rangers fans over the last few months. it gets spewed all over rangersmedia and followfollow on a dailybasis. this is the type of attitude that has ensured that newco will never be admitted directly into the spl. this is the type of attitude you all have, and you expect rival supporters to welcome you with open arms.

this is the type of seige mentality that should die along with the real rangers (presently on life support, awaiting the plug to be pulled). fans with this type of attitude should be left sitting at RFC's grave side for the rest of eternity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Integrity, you see, can be regarded as the opposite of hypocrisy. As a value, it regards internal consistency as a virtue. So how does that apply to Rangers? If we have broken rules, we should be punished. I believe that, as we currently sit, the following measures have been handed down to us:

10 point deduction
£160,000 fine
Ban on signing new players for a year
Denied entry to European Competition for at least 3 years

the only punishment that has been handed out to rangers is £160000 fine that is lumped in with the rest of the dead clubs debts, meaning it didnt cost them a penny.
the ban no longer applies, so that doesnt matter either.

the 10 point deduction are not punishments, they are a consequence of going into administration. and apply to all clubs. and made no difference, as rangers still finished in second place, were they wouldhave finished anyway.

the 3yr european ban is not a punishment either, this is the rules as set out by uefa/fifa. that no club can play in europe unless they provide 3yrs of audited accounts, which sevco cant provide, as they are only a couple of weeks old.

the major offences aint been dealt with yet. like the ebt's

so get it out your heads, that rangers have been punished, as they clearly havent

It seems the majority of the old gers fans seem to have this " a big boy done it and ran away" attitude.it's everyone elses fault.they need to look closer to home in my opinion and stop making threats to everyone. David murry and craig whyte made the mess and the blame for me stops firmly at there door.i still haven't seen them marching to edinburgh looking for answers?

hopefully everyone of them go tits up.
by
Do not mention me on this thread .

this is the type of attitude, that has been getting expressed by the majority of rangers fans over the last few months. it gets spewed all over rangersmedia and followfollow on a dailybasis. this is the type of attitude that has ensured that newco will never be admitted directly into the spl. this is the type of attitude you all have, and you expect rival supporters to welcome you with open arms.

this is the type of seige mentality that should die along with the real rangers (presently on life support, awaiting the plug to be pulled). fans with this type of attitude should be left sitting at RFC's grave side for the rest of eternity.

But to balance it, its also the attitude of most of the other teams from what I've seen towards Rangers FANS,note I said fans not the club,as its the fans who are innocent in all this to be fair

SNA126321-_1546239a.jpg

CELTIC legend Joe McBride died last night at the Royal Infirmary in Glasgow. He was 74.

The former fans’ favourite didn’t recover after suffering a suspected stroke at his home in the city last weekend.

Lisbon Lion Tommy Gemmell said: “This has come as a terrible shock.

“Joe was a great lad and we had some wonderful moments together.

“He was a real Celtic great who could so easily have been a player in the team that won the European Cup in 1967.

“Joe had scored over 30 goals before he suffered an awful injury against Aberdeen just before the turn of the year and that ruled him out for the rest of the season.

“I scored our first-ever European Cup goal during that campaign and Joe scored the other as we beat Zurich 2-0 at Parkhead.

“Then came his injury setback and that sidelined him for the remaining months of the campaign.

“There is little doubt he would have had his part to play in Lisbon.

“It was easy to see why the Celtic supporters took to him. He was one of their own and a real man’s man in the dressing room and out on the pitch.

“Our thoughts immediately go out to his family at this dreadful time.”

McBride made history by becoming legendary manager Jock Stein’s first signing for the club when he was bought from Motherwell for £25,000 way back in April 1965.

He played 94 times for Celtic and averaged almost a goal every game — racking up an amazing 86 strikes.

McBride joined Hibs in December 1968 and proved just as prolific for the capital side during his three years in Leith.

He was a man of many clubs and started his career with Kilmarnock Amateurs before joining Junior outfit Shettleston Town.

He moved to Kirkintilloch Rob Roy before stepping up to the seniors with Kilmarnock.

The renowned goalscorer moved south to Wolves and then on to Luton Town before coming back to Scotland with Partick Thistle.

He signed for Motherwell and scored two goals against Stein’s Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi-final in 1965 which finished 2-2.

The Parkhead side won the replay 3-0, but McBride did enough in the first game to impress Stein and become the first of his signings a couple of weeks later.

He won two full Scotland caps and represented his country four times at Scottish League level. In the twilight of his career, McBride also turned out for Dunfermline and Clyde.

His son, also named Joe, played for Everton and Hibs.

Details of his funeral will be announced by the family.

R.I.P. Joe McBride

Back