Celtic FC Thread

gotta laugh at the tainted title nonsense,only one team destroyed scotish football and thats grfr.why dont they do a protest outside murrys hq in edinburgh instead of blaming sfa?barking up the wrong tree and the sonner they stop blaming everyone else and look at the bigger picture the better.is it a conspiracy??or are the paranoid??

Just a heads up, on the Rangers thread a few of the diehards have stated best team won and no complaints.
It is this type of member wanted on both the Celtic and Rangers threads, support your team the hilt and have banter, but both side cut out the hatred and bigotry at least on the forum.
Well done Celtic, the best team on the day !!!

@ D8 RCS, I think you'll find that most of the Celtic fans have said exactly the same thing when Rangers have won.

rangersrammies.jpg

Veteran Scottish sportswriter hits out at Ally McCoist

One of Scotland leading sportswriters, Glenn Gibbons, has made a swingeing attack on Rangers FC manager, Ally McCoist, and hit out at sections of the media for its coverage of the crisis which has engulfed the Ibrox club.
In his weekly column in The Scotsman yesterday, veteran scribe Gibbons declares: “For someone who is possibly the oldest rookie manager in the history of the game, Ally McCoist this week gave a flawless impersonation of an impulsive, vengeful and nasty-minded adolescent.
“Notoriety attached itself to the former striker with the suddenness and potential devastation of a pernicious virus the moment he demanded the release of the names of the three-man independent review panel which imposed sanctions on Rangers in accordance with the seriousness of the Ibrox club’s breaches of football’s regulations.
“The suspicion that his disturbingly sinister outburst – ‘I want to know who these people are, Rangers supporters want to know who these people are’ – was a prime example of premeditated mischief-making did not take long to harden into certainty.
“It came with the revelation of an SFA spokesperson that the supposedly bemused manager would undoubtedly already have known the identities of the judges, since Rangers had a representative attend the entire judicial proceedings.”
Gibbons goes on: “At a stroke, McCoist’s long-established image as an ebullient and irrepressible charmer was transformed into a hideous representation of spiteful retribution.
“Nor did the damage inflicted on his own reputation come anywhere near to being undone by his declaration the following day that he was ‘disgusted’ by the thought of any Rangers fan visiting abuse on the panel members and issuing threats against them and their families so distressing that the police began investigations with a view to criminal charges.”
Gibbons quotes McCoist as saying: “I would not for one moment want anyone to interpret my remarks as a signal to engage in any form of threatening behaviour.”
Comments Gibbons: “The picture of a stable door being bolted while, in the background, a horse at the gallop disappears over the horizon springs to mind.
“It was noticeable, too, that McCoist’s attempt at a ‘rescue’ did not even hint at the possibility of culpability on his part, far less an apology to the panellists and their distraught families.
“He may be relatively inexperienced in his present post, but he has been in professional football for 33 years, all but a handful of them in association with Rangers.
“In the circumstances, he would, unquestionably, be perfectly aware of the potential for appalling behaviour among certain followers of the club.
“If nothing else, he ought surely to have been familiar with the regularly-documented and legally-pursued instances of assaults, abuses, threats and attempts on the life of his rival at Celtic, Neil Lennon.
“But McCoist’s injudiciousness simply chimes with the general transformation of Rangers over the past two decades from a trophy-gathering phenomenon into a magnet for bad management.
“The series of saboteurs ranges from David Murray, whose ego-driven excesses should be recognised as the single most significant factor in Rangers’ present predicament, through the questionable motives and actions of his successor, Craig Whyte, to the representatives of Duff & Phelps, now widely regarded as the most incompetent administrators ever to be charged with righting a listing football club.
“Astoundingly, Murray seems still to command the loyalty of a reliable band of apologists, among whom his former manager, Walter Smith, may be understandably – and even forgivably – numbered.
“But the attempts in certain quarters of the media to present a revisionist view of history – one in which Murray is totally exculpated in the matter of Rangers’ potentially fatal wounding – have been utterly shameless.
“It is as though the former owner/chairman, who is officially dead where football is concerned, continues to exert an influence on his former lapdogs from beyond the grave.
“Smith’s recent exercise in condemning Whyte was such an example of unadulterated propaganda, complete with see-through inaccuracies, that it was easy to wonder if we were playing the old time machine game, returning to the Murray heyday.”
Initially, a number of daily newspapers refrained from naming the three members of the SFA tribunal.
However, the Daily Record did name them – one of whom is former freelance journalist, Alistair Murning, who worked with BBC Scotland in the past.
The Media Scotland tabloid quoted Murning as saying: “Being a former journalist, I know how these things work and I knew we were involved in making a major decision.
But I never envisaged that, as a result of agreeing to take part in this judicial process, I would end up being briefed by the police over security measures they deem necessary for the safety of me and my family.
“It’s a shocking situation for us all.”

Here's a couple of quid, away and buy yerself a paragraph or two.

WTF is a swingeing attack?

Did you write this all by yourself, or is it a delicious copy/pasta?

@ D8 RCS, I think you'll find that most of the Celtic fans have said exactly the same thing when Rangers have won.

View attachment 65978

M3ENTAL, I was not trying to make out that the Celtic fans on here didn't, I just wanted to stress that the bigotry from both sides needs to be dropped and banter take it's place.

P.S.
I have posted a joke on the Fun & Laughter section. Glasgow Rangers New Sponser !!!

Here's a couple of quid, away and buy yerself a paragraph or two.

WTF is a swingeing attack?

Did you write this all by yourself, or is it a delicious copy/pasta?

No I didn't write it...the author was Hamish Mackay...I thought it would be an interesting read for other Celtic supporters who read the "Celtic Thread"

If you don't know what "swingeing attack" means try using a dictionary or a thesaurus

gotta laugh at the tainted title nonsense,only one team destroyed scotish football and thats grfr.why dont they do a protest outside murrys hq in edinburgh instead of blaming sfa?barking up the wrong tree and the sonner they stop blaming everyone else and look at the bigger picture the better.is it a conspiracy??or are the paranoid??

I was involved in Insolvency for many years and I made a post in the rangers thread shortly after they went into administration...back in the days when we were allowed to post in each others threads...I stated, given my experience the best thing was for rangers to liquidate asap and find someone who would buy the stadium and the rangers name and start again without debt, and estimated that in 3 to 5 years they would be back as a force in europe...however I was shot down in flames...I wonder if any of those rangers supporters agree with me now...Ive also stated that the phone in pundits were adding to rangers supporters misery making statements that were speculative and without any foundation whatsoever. I've have no doubt rangers will survive and be back in the SPL in time..it was always on the cards that the media train would use this to sell tabloids and increase listening figures on radio shows...the rangers fans should be angry that they have been treated differently from any other business becoming insolvent...football clubs are in the entertainment business and wouldn't exist without fans/supporters but this appears to have been somewhat lost in all the media hype...In my opinion this would have all settled down weeks ago and rangers would have a new owner and be planning for the future right now.

in my opinion rangers supporters representatives should have spent there time meeting with administrators, SPL, SFA and potential buyers to help the club and should be venting their anger at the tabloids, football phone-in shows and ex-owners.

I don't go along with this "Save our History" argument either...Where did this come from? Was this more media hype? A football clubs history will always be it's history, good and bad. Are we saying every rangers supporter will instantly lose their memory if rangers become a new company, and all rangers fc records will ceased to exist? I just don't get it at all.

Okay rant over. Apologies for going off on a tangent there..

The Swiss FA don't mess about do they...

SWISS LEAGUE SCANDAL
BERNE (Reuters) – FC Zurich and Young Boys – two of Switzerland’s biggest clubs – are among four top-flight teams who have been refused a licence to compete in the country’s first division next season, the league said on Monday.

Sion, deducted 36 points this season in a legal row, and financially troubled Servette Geneva were also turned down in the first instance as the league got tough following a year which saw Neuchatel Xamax kicked out of the championship.

The clubs have five days in which to appeal. Seven second division clubs also had applications refused.

“For reasons of infrastructure and finance, the Swiss Football League’s licensing department has not granted the request for four Super League clubs,” the league said in a statement.

“The commission has applied strict criteria, due to the experience of the past seasons. The budgets for the 2012/13 season have been examined from every angle.”

FC Zurich have been Swiss champions 12 times and twice reached the semi-finals of the old European Cup while Young Boys have won the domestic title 11 times and reached the European Cup semi-finals in 1959.

Young Boys, coached by former Tottenham Hotspur manager Christian Gross, are third this term which would earn them a place in the Europa League qualifying rounds.

“In most cases, the refusals are due mainly for failing to meet financial criteria,” said the league’s statement, without going into further detail.

CHAOTIC YEAR

Switzerland, famous for its organisation, is the home of world governing body FIFA and European equivalent UEFA but its domestic football has endured a chaotic year with the problems centered around Sion and Neuchatel Xamax.

Sion were deducted 36 points for fielding ineligible players who they had signed during the close season while being subject to a transfer ban.

The case took on international dimensions when they fielded some of the players in a Europe League qualifying match and were thrown out of the competition.

The club then defied UEFA and FIFA statutes by taking their case to the Swiss civil courts, prompting the threat of an international ban for the country’s football federation.

Neuchatel Xamax were expelled from the league in January over a number of irregularities including the suspicion that Russian-born owner Bulat Chagaev had forged a letter from a bank which he used as proof of his financial situation.

Chagaev, subsequently arrested and placed in custody on charges of financial mismanagement, had only taken over the club eight months earlier.

In that time, he fired four coaches, the club’s administrative staff and terminated all sponsorship contracts.

Seventeen-times Swiss champions Servette filed for bankruptcy on March 1.

Since then the club has been sold to Canadian businessman Hugh Quennec, who is desperately trying to raise enough cash to keep the club afloat.

There was more confusion on Sunday when FC Basel effectively won this season’s championship but refused to celebrate.

Basel took an unassailable 16-point lead over FC Luzern, who have gone to the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) over the league’s refusal to award them two extra points from a drawn match against Sion and their ineligible players.

Basel said they would only recognise the title if Luzern could not catch them even with the addition of the two points.

Not my work of course...

Neil Lennon Handed 6 match Ban

NEIL LENNON HANDED SIX-MATCH BAN | Football Transfer News, Football News, Fixtures, Results, Match Reports, Stats

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has been handed an immediate three-match touchline ban for confronting referee Euan Norris after his club's William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final defeat by Hearts.

Lennon received a six-match ban in total but half of the punishment is suspended until the end of next season.

But the former Celtic midfielder, who has just served a two-match ban, received no punishment for a further two rule breaches relating to comments made on Twitter hours after the game.

An SFA ruling read: "The judicial panel found Mr Lennon in breach but imposed no further sanction based on the fact he was not responsible for the posting of the actual tweet."

Lennon was found guilty of misconduct by the panel after running on to the pitch to confront Norris over the handball decision that led to Craig Beattie's penalty winner, which came just before Celtic were denied a similar claim.

The tweets in question, which sparked two charges, appeared on Lennon's @OfficialNeil account on the social networking site.

The first read: "Referee told players he thought Wanyama handled...feel so sorry for players and fans..I think it's personal myself."

A comment from a Celtic supporter which suggested the club "pack our bags and get out of this league that is run by crooked SFA officials" was then re-tweeted on the account.

However, it appears the SFA could not prove that Lennon posted the comments himself.

Lennon this week admitted he had been out of order in his Hampden reaction.

The Celtic boss said: "I deeply regret what happened. I will be sending correspondence to the referee as an apology as well.

"It's one actionable thing that I've done that I shouldn't have done.

"I will go to the tribunal and hopefully get a fair hearing as I did the last time and take what's coming."

Lennon added: "It was an instinctive reaction action born out of frustration more than anything else.

"I know I have to conduct myself better than that."

The former Northern Ireland international received his earlier two-match suspension for comments made about referee Willie Collum after Celtic's Scottish Communities League Cup final defeat by Kilmarnock.

Stokes 1-0

[video=youtube_share;ggkjfJ4txsI]http://youtu.be/ggkjfJ4txsI[/video]

Does anyone know if it's the full game or highlights on BBC ALBA at 10pm?

[video=youtube_share;7ugVw4xhvbU]http://youtu.be/7ugVw4xhvbU[/video]

Gents,

A thread just for the Celtic fans, to discuss the going's on at your club and discussion's about the up and coming games and results.

Please keep this sensible otherwise it will be removed,

Happy chatting! :)

Rangers' situation is a bit like I'd have felt years ago if Jim Baxter had died suddenly during his playing career. We loved to hate him, not as a person, but only that he was an enemy Hun at the time. I'd have zero respect for anyone slagging off Tommy Boyd as a person too. I get angry with myself that I somehow like Ally McCoist. D'OH!

'Gers can slag off Henrik Larsson if they want, but only because of the damage he did to their title hopes. OTOH, I don't even need to consider Gazza's pipe-playing... Nobody who beats up his wife is a real man anyway!

I was born two or three miles from Maine Road, Manchester City's old ground. When I had the money, I went to every City match I could. I've even lost count of how many times I've been to Old Trafford for derby games. My early experiences included watching Styles, Charlton, Best and (my then pet hate) Alex Stepney. I was also there to see a certain Mr Law back-heel Utd into the old second division. At school our football coach was Dennis Violet [Yes, that one], so I was very much one of the minority.

Unlike Scotland's West Coast (and Liverpool), Manchester thankfully has no blatant sectarianism. I know about the Celtic-United and Rangers-City scarves sold in Glasgow, but that was as much an illusion as Singapore Reds being real United supporters. When I joined a Bhoys' forum and admitted my City loyalties, I was still welcomed with open arms. I was really touched by that!

After the cup final when 'Gers did more damage to Manchester than the Luftwaffe managed, I doubt many Mancs would admit to being Glasgow Blues now.

If anyone wants to comment, I've potentially opened a number of worm cans, so suggest you start a new thread. lol

Basil -City since the sixties and Celtic since they were underdogs too... and proud of being both!

I do hope you're joking.

Sadly he's not.

I got one last week for the very same 'offence' which I made in a post CONGRATULATING Rangers for their performance that day.

We are not allowed to refer to each other as 'Hins' or 'Tums' any longer.

Sadly he's not.

I got one last week for the very same 'offence' which I made in a post CONGRATULATING Rangers for their performance that day.

We are not allowed to refer to each other as 'Hins' or 'Tums' any longer.

Completely out of order then. He was using the term as an indication of how he felt in years past, not as a contemporary term of abuse.

I notice that RAB-P thanked the post. A mod with some common sense.

Back