car servicing

im guessing the warrenty is their commitment to you as a customer, not the expected life of the item

This thread just emphasises the usefulness of having a garage that you can trust.

I've been using the same small local place for twenty years now.

very true m8 - I've been driving my own car for around 5 years now and been trying different garages because everyone I go to seems to end up paying more all the time - mmm maybe just me lol

Always worth phoning up first to get a cost cos i've found they say the correct or cheap price to get you in.
But a couple of times when i've gone in they then tried to charge me a bit more for the tyres where i've then said the previous price thats been mentioned and after a pull of there face they back down.
The way i see if they want to try an overcharge after the price they've quoted then they can take the tyres back off and that is just more work for them again so they don't bother.

Need a quick answer on this before they ring me later pls - they said they will replace the battery - does this mean the warranty will now also be extended i.e. I get another 3 yrs warranty from this new battery or does it mean I still only have the two years left since I bought the original last year? thanks

Parts replaced under warranty will have the balance of the remaining warranty, not a full new warranty.

thebigman

Parts replaced under warranty will have the balance of the remaining warranty, not a full new warranty.

thebigman

cheers bigman - sounds like what you would see on T&Cs.

Just got the call to say they're nearly finished and will deliver the car.

These bloody garages scam us gud folk. Any 1 herd of the good garage scheme. its som sort of code of conduct for garages signed up to it.

Just had full service,MOT and 6 Month tax carried out be an independent garage where i take my car each year and it came to £385 that includes the £118.50 for the tax.

Steer clear of the dealers and keep the independents in business at least they do a good job as they work on recommendation for extra work.

they certinaly dont call them "stealers" for nothing, you have been royally ripped off imho.

as for kwik fit, they are even worst!!!!
a work collegue of mine rang me to say he couldnt get a flat wheel of his wifes motor, would i be able to do it.
so i went round and it was the usual nissan micra with stuck corroded alloy on the wheel hub - after a bit of f-ing and blinding i got it off, then decided to removed all the others for him as well just in case they were the same.
anyways i noticed the pads were shot and both front tyres were abnormally worn (tracking out) - BUT the disks were well within tollerances.

his wife potters down to kwik fit, they stitch her up for 2 new tires at £90 each - these are only 14" tires, then they con her for pads and disks!!!.
+ tracking
total cost a nicker under £500 quid.........

roll a fortnight later, original tyre that was flat is flat again, she took it down to the same garage and they stated "n/s front tyre worn to excess", then proceeded to say that her tracking (they fixed) must have been out........
she pointed this out and they brought out another worn out tyre to her when she questioned it......
given up she payed the £97 this time for the tyre....

well me and my work mate took a trip down there, myself used to work in a garage so know most of the cons they do.

i had a massive row with them after they questioned my knowledge on brakes - i told them there was no way the disks needed changing, they said they must have worn to excess in the 1/4 mile they drove to get the tyres changed.
then i went on about this brand new tyre that had worn to excess, they had held on to this worn tyre, funny thing was it was one of her original tyres she had changed first of all, you could see the brusing i made when i was trying to release the corroded alloy.

A the Kwik Fit ripoff. I remember many years ago I went for a brake check, they told me I need everything in the front replaced, calipers, pads, discs etc and the back needed new pads. They said it would cost £400, I told them to shove it. Went to a m8, he told me the back pads were like new and the front only needed new discs, calipers etc were fine, £65 fitted. I've never been to a Kwik Fit garage again. Oh and I called to complain and I got the standard answer, it was the new trainee that did the check. Also got a new tyre years before the brake fiasco and when I got home I decided luckily for me to torque the wheel nuts, well low and behold only 1 fecking nut was done up tight, the other 3 where only sitting in the holes, probably only a couple of threads in, phoned to complain and got the same answer, it was the new guy and we apologise, feckers could have caused me a serious accident :Chainsaw:

A the Kwik Fit ripoff. I remember many years ago I went for a brake check, they told me I need everything in the front replaced, calipers, pads, discs etc and the back needed new pads. They said it would cost £400, I told them to shove it. Went to a m8, he told me the back pads were like new and the front only needed new discs, calipers etc were fine, £65 fitted. I've never been to a Kwik Fit garage again. Oh and I called to complain and I got the standard answer, it was the new trainee that did the check. Also got a new tyre years before the brake fiasco and when I got home I decided luckily for me to torque the wheel nuts, well low and behold only 1 fecking nut was done up tight, the other 3 where only sitting in the holes, probably only a couple of threads in, phoned to complain and got the same answer, it was the new guy and we apologise, feckers could have caused me a serious accident :Chainsaw:

personally if i was fitting front new discs i would also use new pads, not a trained mechanic maybe its just my thing.

I agree with Nara (soz too lazy to cut n paste :p ) that word of mouth is invaluable with garages.

I won't bore you with the details but I had a guy quote £700 minimum to fix the aircon on my Merc and that was with recon parts, my mate told me to reign in and pointed me to a bloke he knew who he had used for years. This fella did it for £115 including parts.

As you will guess I haven't used anyone else since.

Just got a flat, I have been quoted £60 for Bridgestone Turanza ER300 195x50R15 including all the usual's

is this any good,

I have searched and found most places selling for around this price maybe £5 less

I actually have Bridgestone Potenza's on the front

my question is should I buy these

Thanks

Just got a flat, I have been quoted £60 for Bridgestone Turanza ER300 195x50R15 including all the usual's

is this any good,

I have searched and found most places selling for around this price maybe £5 less

I actually have Bridgestone Potenza's on the front

my question is should I buy these

Thanks

I took my car for a service once but it got stuck in the church doors :(

But on a serious note, maybe you should ring around a few places and get quotes.

I had a Ford Mondeo for many years and used to get it serviced by Ford. Minor service for £99 and major service about £170. Apart from normal wear and tear which I don't get Ford to do, the car has always been good. I have been lucky I guess.

yeah tell me about it... not sure of the tyre size mate but its a 7 seater so I guess larger than average?

btw - forgot to mention and probably the cause - this is a dealership and not an independent garage.

Your tyre may not need to be larger but check the load rating. My s-max came with 98 XL load rating.

big word of advice

NEVER panic when going for an MOT

whatever garage will try panic and pressure you into getting the work done as quick as possible so you be more likely to allow the MOT garage to do the work

you got a time frame after the MOT to go get some quotes so i suggest u do that

MOT garages rely on you being lazy and easiliy stressed so they can feck u with stupid costs

I personally always do the work on my car myself but not everyone likes getting oily or under a car

Back