car servicing

aRo

Member ++
Reaction score
It never seems to amaze me how much the cost of servicing a car comes to in the end.

What started as full service for £298 (very happy) has now become £731 !! (not very happy) :(

the other bit was for 4 budget tyres, seat belt replacement/fix (the side of the seat belt was a little bit roughed up because of the way it came out of the plastic holder) and wipers.

all needed fixing to pass MOT which is included free with the servicing.
They called me to let me know the price and did think of getting it to some other garage but would have had to find a reputable one and pay for the MOT so just decided to cough up.

i just got a pair of budget tyres for my focus, £110 fitted inc vat. just wondered if you're were more expensive wheels/tyres and how they could of stung you.

i just got a pair of budget tyres for my focus, £110 fitted inc vat. just wondered if you're were more expensive wheels/tyres and how they could of stung you.

all four tyres cost 383 inc balancing and vat. Lady said they were budget tyres but didnt have the name at the time.

Just wish that one day I would have a service where nothing else needed fixing ... that'll be the day lol...

wow thats alot of money mate for tyres, what size are they. I got 19's on mine and I got a pair of tyres for £80 each. they were not budget either

wow thats alot of money mate for tyres, what size are they. I got 19's on mine and I got a pair of tyres for £80 each. they were not budget either

yeah tell me about it... not sure of the tyre size mate but its a 7 seater so I guess larger than average?

btw - forgot to mention and probably the cause - this is a dealership and not an independent garage.

Don't know the exact model you have but sticking avensis verso into Kwick fit dot co brought up Pirelli P6 at £59.63 a tyre if you buy online.

thebigman

Don't know the exact model you have but sticking avensis verso into Kwick fit dot co brought up Pirelli P6 at £59.63 a tyre if you buy online.

thebigman

cheers bigman - Think what I'll do for next year is to go to say like kwik fit before having serviced and ask if tyres are ok first . If not then I'll have time to seach online rather than having them done by dealer.

they certinaly dont call them "stealers" for nothing, you have been royally ripped off imho.

as for kwik fit, they are even worst!!!!
a work collegue of mine rang me to say he couldnt get a flat wheel of his wifes motor, would i be able to do it.
so i went round and it was the usual nissan micra with stuck corroded alloy on the wheel hub - after a bit of f-ing and blinding i got it off, then decided to removed all the others for him as well just in case they were the same.
anyways i noticed the pads were shot and both front tyres were abnormally worn (tracking out) - BUT the disks were well within tollerances.

his wife potters down to kwik fit, they stitch her up for 2 new tires at £90 each - these are only 14" tires, then they con her for pads and disks!!!.
+ tracking
total cost a nicker under £500 quid.........

roll a fortnight later, original tyre that was flat is flat again, she took it down to the same garage and they stated "n/s front tyre worn to excess", then proceeded to say that her tracking (they fixed) must have been out........
she pointed this out and they brought out another worn out tyre to her when she questioned it......
given up she payed the £97 this time for the tyre....

well me and my work mate took a trip down there, myself used to work in a garage so know most of the cons they do.

i had a massive row with them after they questioned my knowledge on brakes - i told them there was no way the disks needed changing, they said they must have worn to excess in the 1/4 mile they drove to get the tyres changed.
then i went on about this brand new tyre that had worn to excess, they had held on to this worn tyre, funny thing was it was one of her original tyres she had changed first of all, you could see the brusing i made when i was trying to release the corroded alloy.

they ended up given her the cost of the replacement tyre back, this was only after we threatened to go to trading standards and report them for theft.

Funny part is we both work in a big industry, (20k+ employees) all live around romford and essex area, word has travelled fast.

Kwik fit = kwik con, beaware.

Last edited:
all four tyres cost 383 inc balancing and vat. Lady said they were budget tyres but didnt have the name at the time.

Just wish that one day I would have a service where nothing else needed fixing ... that'll be the day lol...

Mate they saw you coming! Your mental paying that - Tyers ARNT an MOT Fail unless there damage or totally bald...Even if there "low" on tred as long as there above the 1.6mm you dont need to change them.

they certinaly dont call them "stealers" for nothing, you have been royally ripped off imho.

as for kwik fit, they are even worst!!!!
a work collegue of mine rang me to say he couldnt get a flat wheel of his wifes motor, would i be able to do it.
so i went round and it was the usual nissan micra with stuck corroded alloy on the wheel hub - after a bit of f-ing and blinding i got it off, then decided to removed all the others for him as well just in case they were the same.
anyways i noticed the pads were shot and both front tyres were abnormally worn (tracking out) - BUT the disks were well within tollerances.

his wife potters down to kwik fit, they stitch her up for 2 new tires at £90 each - these are only 14" tires, then they con her for pads and disks!!!.
+ tracking
total cost a nicker under £500 quid.........

roll a fortnight later, original tyre that was flat is flat again, she took it down to the same garage and they stated "n/s front tyre worn to excess", then proceeded to say that her tracking (they fixed) must have been out........
she pointed this out and they brought out another worn out tyre to her when she questioned it......
given up she payed the £97 this time for the tyre....

well me and my work mate took a trip down there, myself used to work in a garage so know most of the cons they do.

i had a massive row with them after they questioned my knowledge on brakes - i told them there was no way the disks needed changing, they said they must have worn to excess in the 1/4 mile they drove to get the tyres changed.
then i went on about this brand new tyre that had worn to excess, they had held on to this worn tyre, funny thing was it was one of her original tyres she had changed first of all, you could see the brusing i made when i was trying to release the corroded alloy.

they ended up given her the cost of the replacement tyre back, this was only after we threatened to go to trading standards and report them for theft.

Funny part is we both work in a big industry, (20k+ employees) all live around romford and essex area, word has travelled fast.

Kwik fit = kwik con, beaware.

Useful to have mates like you except my ones are all useless as me when it comes to motoring stuff lol...

lesson learnt anyway - next time take it to another garage and try to get things done cheaper.

btw - they tried to make me pay for the battery £95 - said it was low or something maybe due to a leak - so I said it cant be, I just replaced it last year. They said, well you should take it back to the shop since it should have 3-5 yrs warrantee. Went and searched for receipt and found that I bought it from them for £57!

Need a quick answer on this before they ring me later pls - they said they will replace the battery - does this mean the warranty will now also be extended i.e. I get another 3 yrs warranty from this new battery or does it mean I still only have the two years left since I bought the original last year? thanks

Last edited:
Useful to have mates like you except my ones are all useless as me when it comes to motoring stuff lol...

lesson learnt anyway - next time take it to another garage and try to get things done cheaper.

btw - they tried to make me pay for the battery £95 - said it was low or something maybe due to a leak - so I said it cant be, I just replaced it last year. They said, well you should take it back to the shop since it should have 3-5 yrs warrantee. Went and searched for receipt and found that I bought it from them for £57!

Need a quick answer on this before they ring me later pls - they said they will replace the battery - does this mean the warranty will now also be extended i.e. I get another 3 yrs warranty from this new battery or does it mean I still only have the two years left since I bought the original last year? thanks

CLASSIC!!!!
Normally the warrenty runs from the first date of purchase if my information is correct, otherwise you could effectively have a lifetime of battery changes under the orignal warrenty.

This thread just emphasises the usefulness of having a garage that you can trust.

I've been using the same small local place for twenty years now.

CLASSIC!!!!
Normally the warrenty runs from the first date of purchase if my information is correct, otherwise you could effectively have a lifetime of battery changes under the orignal warrenty.

well not really, if the original battery lasted the three years its suppose to last then the warranty ends unless of course you run the battery down just before the end of the warranty I guess ;)

Back