[car mechanics] Clutch Problem Vectra sri

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, realized that the clutch is getting harder and harder to press down, is this a wd40 problem, clutch fluid top up some where, or is it a sign of it on it's way out......i would presume that they are hydraulic clutches....any ideas thanks.....

p.s like trying to press your foot into wet sand is the only way to describe it like.....

hi,you cant realy do much about your clutch its all in the gearbox housing,
best thing is if its working just carry on using it till it breaks then replace,

dayu'm not good news then, was hoping it was going to be a fluid of some sort top up....

HI,join the vectra owners club,theres loads of info and help on there.

If its gradually becoming more and more firmer when pressing then i would get i checked out. last thing you want is for the clutch to give way when you are on the motorway with the kids. im not too sure on cars but maybe something is getting tighter? some cable of some sort? lol

i would suspect the clutch release bearing

u could try bleeding the clutch fluid just incase its got air bubbles in it

but if that dont cure it i reckon ur release bearing is on the way out

the bearing itself is around £125 approx
but the labours gona kill u
u need to split gearbox off to do it

most people do a full clutch and bearing change so they dont have to get it done a few months down the line

i would suspect the clutch release bearing

u could try bleeding the clutch fluid just incase its got air bubbles in it

but if that dont cure it i reckon ur release bearing is on the way out

the bearing itself is around £125 approx
but the labours gona kill u
u need to split gearbox off to do it

most people do a full clutch and bearing change so they dont have to get it done a few months down the line

Question?
Wouldnt air in the fluid make it soft like with brakes?
I would say the same as you release bearing sounds like its ceasing to me
How many miles has it done and do you ride the clutch at all?

120,000 and the one thing that i've always done and can't stop my self from doing over the years is sitting with my foot on the clutch, not pressing it, but resting it on the peddle instead of down by the side, very slight pressure and over the years has probably been like me riding it a little....dangerous in and accident as well as i'd slam the clutch down and thus giving me more propultion rather than the engine helping to stop the car if i'd just slammed the break on.....

You had it from new? Is that the original clutch if so its done well :)
My old man has got a Land Rover uses mainly motorway and did 320k on its original clutch the dealer couldnt believe it until they took it apart...

120,000 and the one thing that i've always done and can't stop my self from doing over the years is sitting with my foot on the clutch, not pressing it, but resting it on the peddle instead of down by the side, very slight pressure and over the years has probably been like me riding it a little....dangerous in and accident as well as i'd slam the clutch down and thus giving me more propultion rather than the engine helping to stop the car if i'd just slammed the break on.....

Thats probbley whats fucking the clutch mate - Hard to tell with out having a drive as clutches that are waring down have a really high bite.

Find out if you have a clutch cable or if it hydraulic its likely to be either the clutch cable is frayed so will need replacing, or your master clutch cylinder will need replacing.

WOW
thats loads for a clutch have to rem that for the vectra
Well riding the clutch was the prob so defo release berrings
my dad is always moaning at me for it LOL
All stems from my first car long story
Prob now with all those miles new plates too
I say sell it QUICK
couple of things though could low oil in gearbox cause this ?
And check the fluid level is not too high

just waiting for a post of don't di it with his advice......muhaha.....yeah hydrolic, will get the garage to have a look at it then....

just waiting for a post of don't di it with his advice......muhaha.....
sounds to me like the clutch aint working right
i would check the fluid first then if that dont work give your head a shake and take it to the garage
just checked in yellow pages for you there aint one called '' stupid mags thick fooker '' sorry cant help more

Last edited:
air in the fluid will give you a soft pedal,if the pedal is getting harder the chances are that its the pressure plate giving up,the pressure would be replaced as part of a clutch replacement as it all comes together in the same kit.If i was doing the job i would recommend replacing the slave cylinder aswell because i think thats inside the bell housing on vectras.

reet o chaps will report back once garage has had a little look at it....muhahahahha as ever man thanks dont do it.....mo fo....still always makes me laugh like....hahah bey'atch!

Sounds like the pressure plate on it's way out to me. Cos I think vectra's are cable operated.

Anyway! if it is, it's best to change the full clutch kit.

no vectras are hydrolic

so no cable

normally when some 1 replaces clutch they should always replace the slave cylinder / release bearing

no point fitting a new clutch and then release bearing goes and vice versa

just get a full clutch kit inc release bearing

i get a m8 to sort it 4 me for £80
cars ready in a few hours

Back