car discs

gegar

Inactive User
Reaction score
went to have a look car for sale on a garage forecourt yesterday said it had 75 thousand miles on the clock and mileage was warranted ,but car didnt look wright discs were badly worn all way round about 3 mill lip on each other things badly worn also, do discs were that quickly or am i just being picky

discs can wear on 70 m8 ,had to change discs on cars with less miles than that , best regards dannyrp03

Depends on how much braking they had to do dont it really lol. 75k is pretty good for disks to last, if they are the original disks.

had a fiesta the other week that needed them doing at 19k lol

breaks are for girls, they dont help you go any faster :proud:

thanks for replys guess am just assuming every ones as good a driver as me lol
might have another look

Yep replaced both front discs on the Galaxy at 45K , now rears need replacing at 54K.
I'm the third owner, so depends how the others drove and breaked heavily ?

The type of brake pads used can make a difference too.

went to have a look car for sale on a garage forecourt yesterday said it had 75 thousand miles on the clock and mileage was warranted ,but car didnt look wright discs were badly worn all way round about 3 mill lip on each other things badly worn also, do discs were that quickly or am i just being picky

IMO you can always get more of a feel for genuine mileage by the interior and in particular the seats and carpets than you can by mechanical inspection.

:)

this is all down a number of factors, if the car is an auto it will eat brake disks, if its a people carrier it will also eat disks. as already mentioned if its someone who is heavy handed on brakes and driving constantly round town then they would also wear. my car is now on 90k miles (ive owned since new) and still has the original disks front and back, 2nd clutch due to gearbox failure though. but my motoring is a lot of A roads and not so much round town.
there is a good rule of thumb which ive been using with brakes, 3 sets of pads to 1 set of disks, disks dont last as long now since they removed abstesdos (however you spelk it).
when buying a car i will check the brakes and tires, but i use them as a barganing tool and not a general deal breaker as they are wear and tear items that all mototist have to deal with at one point or another.

ive just replaced the pads and disks on my pug 306 which has 95k on it
also the disks was original from when the car was new but ive replaced the pads about 3 times since ive had me pug about 8 years now

agree with all reply's, but that and other things put me off so as good rule i suppose if in doubt walk away,interior was a bit worn IMO ,
have never had a car that have had to change discs so it just stood out to me

compare the same year of car on ebay and see what the pics are like, if they all look the same then maybe the materials isnt as hard wearing as you thought or you may be being to picky as you said. always compare with similar before you buy, thats what i do.

Brake discs used to last because they had asbestos pads rubbing against them. New compounds in brake pads are good at what they do but they are far harsher on the discs.

Before asbestos was outlawed I was always skimming brake discs for people but now I get very few requests because the discs are always knackered.

Back