CAPITA group to go after poll-tax victims.

mask

Inactive User
Reaction score
just an important heads-up,

capita has decided there is money to be made from victimising people,
so they have obtained lists from all councils and will be passing them on to debt collectors real soon.

they think that it's a good money making scheme as long as nobody discovers that they are behind it - oops, so much for secrecy :)

so watch for strangers asking questions at your door!

you lost me here?, are you saying that if you failed to pay the POLL TAX in the early 90s like i did they are NOW gona come after me?.
Id like to see this after i was taken to court and the court went in my favour (i was only on £40 per week and they wanted £30 of it when i was living at my parents in 92).
Or are you talking about council tax as it stands now, surely they dont need to bring in an out side firm as a court ordered bailiff can gain access to even locked properties.
If it was due to the poll tax i was under the impression the govenment wrote it off as a bad thing years back. Please enlighten me
cheers

you lost me here?, are you saying that if you failed to pay the POLL TAX in the early 90s like i did they are NOW gona come after me?.

that's exactly it.

spread this far & wide,
CAPITA board knows that the adverse publicity this can cause will damage them, not to mention the fact that it will paint a big target on all there buildings, staff and infrastructure for any angry people out there.

so they have tried to do this in secret using other company's as fronts for collection.

let's make sure *everybody* knows who is behind this evil shit.

if memory serves, there is a time limit for trying to collect things like this.

if someone does knock on the door for poll tax, do not agree or own up to anything about it. Dont accept any letters and dont sign anything, dont even agree to your name just tell them to sling their hook.

if you admit to culpability then they pretty much have the money and you have a headache. if you do not acknowledge anything then you should be fine.

however it could be that this is about council tax, not poll tax..

however it could be that this is about council tax, not poll tax..

I think that's what he must be on about. The Poll Tax ended too long ago (it was abandoned in1993) to try to be collecting debts now.

(mind you, his answer in post #4 just confuses things further.) :confused:

Last edited:
were did you hear this m8...?...
though the grape vine.....lol......
they can come afte me as long as they want, they will not get it..............

(mind you, his answer in post #4 just confuses things further.) :confused:

hmm, yes - it doesnt make much sense?

I wonder how much money it would cost to get all that poll/council tax (delete whichever is wrong) from everyone. I am fairly certain it would be a hiding to nothing, once all the wages and administration is paid, just what exactly will the local authorities be left with - as the government wont be enforcing this.

I have arguements with credit card companies before over small amounts of money they were threatening to take me to court over. I told them straight it would cost more than I owe to get it back (so stop threatening me).

ho hum , we shall see

if you have any debts that are 6 years + old, and you have not acknowledged the debt during that 6 year time. You can call it written of under the statue of limitations act

it's poll-tax,
and it's exempt from time-limit.

i have this info because i have a guy on the inside,
i cant say more because he could get the sack - or worse.

it's poll-tax,
and it's exempt from time-limit.

no, its not exempt unless the government has just sneaked in an amendment to the act mentioned above.

it would be impossible for them to get it amended just for them - so that would make all monies owed collectable. this would have a massive impact on anyone owing money alive, for instance the 80 grandpa who missed a payment on the rates in the 50's would suddenly be liable.

Given the impact such an amendment would have, it is very surprising that it hasnt been in the press - it is exactly the sort of thing the conservatives would be looking to use right now, and if it were the case, gordon brown wouldnt be mulling a general election...

in fact, if you go and take a look at the act, no such amendment has been made and it doesnt appear to carry any clauses that allow the government to reclaim the poll tax explicitly.

there have been amendments, but to cater for sexual assualt etc.

one point, the act was passed in 1980 so there would be no inclusion of the poll tax then and it doenst hold any provisos for government collected funds. subsequent amendments do not appear to mention this at all.

so either this will happen in the near future (quite why, I have no idea - its political suicide) or its from a leaked memo (again, no one would want to record this anywhere and we would have seen it in the press).

Either way, only a small proportion of the country will owe money on the poll tax - I dont as I was 12 when it was abolished. I would imagine anyone aged around 35 ish now would fall into the bracket.

there was an amendment many years ago, i think that sneaky git major did it on his way out.

you dont have to believe any of this, i dont care.
i'v said what i know, what you choose to do with it is up to you.

why not fone CAPITA press liason and say your from the press and want confirmation/denial and a comment?
that should shit them up!

mask, what year was the amendment? there have been precious few since 1992, so it wont be hard to tell us all which amendment it is that contains this particular caveat.

if you have any debts that are 6 years + old, and you have not acknowledged the debt during that 6 year time. You can call it written of under the statue of limitations act

in theory yes, in reality no. when the six year mark approaches they sell it on so the debt is renewed with some one else. its to prevent people that dont pay from ever getting good credit again.

Hi,

Is this the same outfit that are running the digital switch over for digital uk in whitehaven ? just think of it , on monday guys working on behalf of capita come round to upgrade your aerial system for the switchover & on tuesday guys working on behalf of capita come round & take your tv & sofa away !

Mark

in theory yes, in reality no. when the six year mark approaches they sell it on so the debt is renewed with some one else. its to prevent people that dont pay from ever getting good credit again.

actually no, this is incorrect - after 6 years if no attempt has been made by either party to recover the debt/pay off the debt it becomes statute barred. selling a statute barred debt on is actually illegal, as the debt recovery agency has no legal basis to recover that debt if the debtor does not acknowledge the debt.

however, if you have paid any of it off but have not had contact for over 6 years there is some legal basis for clooecting the debt.

that said however, we are talking about debts that are over 12 years old - poll tax wasnt collected by central government, but by local authorities, the same as council tax. Therefore, the goverment in london would have nothing to do with collecting any outstanding amounts of poll tax - this would be left to the local authorites to pick up as well as foot the bill.

given the lack of coverage in the press, and the lack of public outcry, i firmly believe this isnt going to happen, or it is not the poll tax, but the council tax that is being referred to.

All I've seen mentioned on the board other than this thread is this one: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/137996/

Just found out that the Poll Tax is apparently covered by Regulation 29 of the Community Charge (Administration and Enforcement) Regs. 1989 (as amended 1991).
The council should not go to the magistrates court and ask for a liability order for community charge (poll tax) if the community charge was due more than six years before the liability order hearing. This means that the council can only pursue you for outstanding community charge if they got a liability order within 6 years of April 1993 at the latest.
Source:http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk...ility_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act.htm#h8

Last edited by a moderator:
Back