Cant share files

mdevine72

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

Have tried reading tutorials but keep getting sames probs. I have a desktop and laptop. I've connected a Linsys router up and I can get internet access on both machines. However I am unable to access/share folders. I've set up a workgroup - with the same workgroup name - though when i try and access them keep getting 'mshome not accessable - you might not have permission to use this network resource.'

I've turned of firewall for sharing and even uninstalled zone alarm

Any help would be great

THANKS

Install client for microsoft networks under local area connection properties

Sorted! I set up another workgroup - new name - had a network set up originally but messed about with it recently.

Thanks

share files

hello can any 1 tell me how you do the Install client for microsoft networks
and i set up Remote Desktop Connection but it ask for a username and password but i have not got 1 plz help thanks

to install Client For Microsoft Networks:
Network Places, right click properties, Local Area Connection, right click properties, on the general tab select install, pick client for MS networks from list. Although, it should already be there..??
What do you want to do with Remote Desktop..?? It's asking for a user name & pw for the client you want to connect to...
You want to set-up remote desktop..??

help

thank what i want to do is control my other pc downstairs from the one upstairs it finds it but it ask for a user name and password i have not got a user name or password if i have i dont know what it is and on the downstairs 1 i can connect to the upstairs 1 using Remote Desktop Connection but it still ask for the user name and password but when i go upstairs to try to conect to the downstairs 1 using Remote Desktop Connection it does not connnect i can share files between both of them any help thanks

go to the one you want to control, right click my computer, select manage, click the remote tab, them go to select remote users, add a user, click add, then advanced , then find now, then add a user you know the password off :).
Now logon with that user/pass.

As G3 says...
Also, are they both running XP Pro...XPHome doesn't support remote desktop.

You could try running Tight VNC also, i found it most useful if you are an XP Home User

mdevine72 said:
Sorted! I set up another workgroup - new name - had a network set up originally but messed about with it recently.

Thanks

hey there i was wondering could you tell me how to set up another workgroup?? im having major problems with filesharing as my second computer does not seem to show up on the my network places. ive run the setup home wizard lots of times but i can't seem to get it too work. the last resort is a system which i really want to avoid. i still wierdly get internet connection on both comps though.

Back