Can i take the hard drive out of my SKY HD box and use it as a normal external drive?

zir786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Im getting a new HD box. and thought can i take the drive out and use some sort of accessory to connect it to my laptop to save external files?

Re: Can i take the hard drive out of my SKY HD box and use it as a normal external dr

yep, but why would you wreck a brand new box? lol

Re: Can i take the hard drive out of my SKY HD box and use it as a normal external dr

hi there, wanted to know if I can upgrade my hard drive in sky hd box and if so do I need to format it, regards pcon

yep, but why would you wreck a brand new box? lol

because its going to be useless when sky gives me a new one, as they are updating software and giving everyone new boxes with wifi.

what i need a dock for it though?

if so could you tell me which is best one?

ive been looking at some on ebay

NEW Dual 2.5"/3.5" IDE SATA HDD Hard Drive Disk Dock Docking Station ALL IN 1 UK | eBay

StarTech USB to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 inch SATA Hard | eBay

why take hard drive out when all you have to do is get usb cable put it into usb input in front of box were card goes other end into computer transfer files either way :eatarrow:

plus box not useless use it for freeview in other room: thanks :

Last edited by a moderator:

Im getting a new HD box. and thought can i take the drive out and use some sort of accessory to connect it to my laptop to save external files?

You can, but you shouldn't. At least not for backup purposes.

The drives used in PVR/DVR settop boxes, not just sky boxes, are not designed to be used for data - they have no error checking.

You might get away with using them as a portable drive for watching back downloaded films, but will depend on how error tolerant the playback device is.
because its going to be useless when sky gives me a new one, as they are updating software and giving everyone new boxes with wifi.

what i need a dock for it though?

if so could you tell me which is best one?

ive been looking at some on ebay

NEW Dual 2.5"/3.5" IDE SATA HDD Hard Drive Disk Dock Docking Station ALL IN 1 UK | eBay

StarTech USB to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 inch SATA Hard | eBay

AFAIK, Sky use 3.5" SATA drives.

why take hard drive out when all you have to do is get usb cable put it into usb input in front of box were card goes other end into computer transfer files either way :eatarrow:

if i use whatever youre talking about, can i save files from my laptop what the original question was?

i dont really care about the programs on it ( ive seen a video on YT anyway on how to extract it)

Back