Can exercise enlarge the heart ?

pops1a

Inactive User
Reaction score
Got a shock this morning. I went to see my GP to find out about the results of my x ray, as I've been suffering from an infection/virus for more than 3 months. I initially visited my GP 8 weeks after I'd been suffering from this problem and the GP prescribed me with Amoxicillin. This didn't make a difference and I returned a week later to the surgery. I was asked to get an x ray and this is the result. The GP said I had a slightly enlarged heart and possible lung disease. I'm booked in to have a test in a couple of weeks to check my lung capacity then he'll take the necessary action. I was shocked at both of the things he discovered, as I thought and still feel it's a stubborn chest infection. Has anybody heard of the heart growing in size due to regular exercise and is that normal.

Has anybody heard of the heart growing in size due to regular exercise and is that normal.

Hi pal - sorry to hear that, but at least you got the professionals on the case asap so they will sort you out.

The only times I've ever heard of enlarging of the heart was with old timer bodybuilders who were on the steroids.

Last edited:
It can, but from what I've read it is not problematic and can be reversible if exercise was the cause.

Hypertrophy (commonly Left Ventricular Hypertrophy) is sometimes seen in steroid users but it happens with exercise. Look up Lance Armstrong!

Left ventricular hypertrophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is your BP OK?

Thanks spectre, it's an interesting read all be it a bit technical. I had high blood pressure in the past but I managed to bring it back to normal through weight loss, diet and exercise. I stopped taking tablets over a year ago now and I've had a number of tests since and it has remained normal. I do however suffer from depression and have been off work for more than 2 years now. I'm going to try not to worry about it too much and see what the tests reveal.

Thanks gargamel. I never feel comfortable with the medical profession. They only seem to use a very narrow way of looking at and dealing with medical issues. I always try to look at as many alternatives as possible. I've only ever used whey protein and never touched steroids.
I do admit though the technology used to find out what's inside your body is absolutely unbelievable.

Last edited:
My advise to anyone who has any doubts about anything, is get a second opinion. If I was you I would walk into casualty and see a doctor there. They may even send you for an MRI which would give a much clearer picture than the x ray.
I'm not telling you what to do m8 but just telling you what I would do if I were in your shoes

I wish you well and good luck m8

My advise to anyone who has any doubts about anything, is get a second opinion. If I was you I would walk into casualty and see a doctor there. They may even send you for an MRI which would give a much clearer picture than the x ray.
I'm not telling you what to do m8 but just telling you what I would do if I were in your shoes

can't agree more with this about the 2nd opinion bit.

we have had a few examples over the last few years with our close family and friends who've been sent home with a couple of painkillers by one doctor and then another doctor has luckily just happened to see their medical results, noticed that are actually very seriously ill and sent the ambulance round to their houses to fetch them urgently.

(not to panic or worry anybody - but like the man said, get a 2nd opinion).

It can, but from what I've read it is not problematic and can be reversible if exercise was the cause.

Hypertrophy (commonly Left Ventricular Hypertrophy) is sometimes seen in steroid users but it happens with exercise. Look up Lance Armstrong!

Left ventricular hypertrophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is your BP OK?

Spectre is spot on here :)

The heart is just a muscle, as with any muscle if you exercise it often it grows in size.

You said about your bp, did it fluctuate high to low at all ?

Also, what is your pulse rate ? Reason I ask for this, When you have a good fitness level such as athletes your heart rate will decrease as the heart muscle is stronger so does not need to beat as much to push the same amount of blood... so you have a lower BPM.

Hope you get a good result mate :)

Are you quite a tall guy? Used to work with a tall skiny guy who heart problems. He reckoned lots of tall people have issues with their hearts. Neither here or there, just thought I'd ask out of interest.

Thanks mate, I think you're right about a 2nd opinion. Unfortunately I'm at the initial stages of going through the tests. This is how the NHS operates, they start off with the cheapest diagnosis and move up the list been devised in order to save money. Ironically this system ends up wasting money. As you say an MRI scan would probably get to heart of the matter, sorry about pun, quickly and then the whole thing could begin to be dealt with much more quickly. As it is I've had to wait 12 weeks before an x ray, now waiting for the next test and then I'll have to wait for the results before I see my GP, who will then decide the next form of action. I wish I could simply pop down to the hospital and get a scan, but unfortunately they will simply refer me back to my GP. I'm afraid I'll just have to wait and be patient.

Spectre is spot on here :)

The heart is just a muscle, as with any muscle if you exercise it often it grows in size.

You said about your bp, did it fluctuate high to low at all ?

Also, what is your pulse rate ? Reason I ask for this, When you have a good fitness level such as athletes your heart rate will decrease as the heart muscle is stronger so does not need to beat as much to push the same amount of blood... so you have a lower BPM.

Hope you get a good result mate :)

Thanks mate. My blood pressure kept rising and my GP simply increased the dosage, it didn't go low at any stage that I'm aware of. My heart rate is about 68 resting.

Are you quite a tall guy? Used to work with a tall skiny guy who heart problems. He reckoned lots of tall people have issues with their hearts. Neither here or there, just thought I'd ask out of interest.

No, I'm 5 7" and 44 years old weighing about 84 KG.

Back