Cable Sheathing!!!

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have got my router situated upstairs at the moment and would like to run an ethernet cable from router to downstairs. the best way is to run it from outside. I however would like to protect the cable. I have been looking on the Internet for some type of cable sheating waterproof but cannot seem to find it anywhere. could anybody point me towards it please.

P.S currently using homeplugs but is not as reliable as as have to keeplosing connection. home wiring is not the best setup.

Homeplug is good but you are never going to match running proper cat5e or cat6.

I just used STP cable (each pair is foiled and then the whole lot is) for my outside runs, cable tied to sat cable. It quite stiff so I wouldn't use it for patch leads. Make sure that water cannot get into either top or bottom of cable.

The problem with using ordinary sheathed cat5 or cat 6 cable meant for internal installation is that it will wear quickly if used externally mainly due to sunlight but abrasion also. So why not use the proper external version which you can get from fleabay or elsewhere depending on how much you need.

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-EXTERNAL-GRADE-CAT-6-NETWORK-CABLE-4-99-PER-5M-/280522954229?pt=UK_MobilePhones_HomePhones_HomePhones_JN&hash=item41507895f5]BLACK EXTERNAL GRADE CAT 6 NETWORK CABLE. £4.99 PER 5M on eBay (end time 13-Feb-11 09:50:03 GMT)[/ame]

Thats right, internal cat 5 will eventually be eaten by UV, this will take a few years though, so short term would be OK, but not ideal, just get some external grade stuff and job done..........

make sure you put down loops on though (make sure the cable go`s below the hole in the wall, the upwards and into it to stop water traveling down and in.)

Back