Buying an Apple Mac in the US?

HappyH

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My mate's asked me to buy him an entry-level Mac while I'm on holiday in the States. It's £849 at home & approx $1065 after sales tax in the US. Couple of questions, is the money he'll save worth it as I guess it'll need some sort of converter for a UK power socket, not sure if there's any warranty issues between US/UK & are there any other considerations/pitfalls for buying in the US?
Oh & I thought I could easily find how much in pounds Mastercard will charge me at today's rate for example but can't find the link, anybody help there?
Thanks in advance,
HH.

my sister bought an apple laptop in the states, all she had to buy was a power adaptor for when shes over here

Brought 1 back for me daughter......saved quite a bit but we got a much better exchange rate. The charging unit was rated at 100 - 220 v so all we needed was a plug converter...to go from there 2 pin to ours and these are cheap enough.
Its worth doing the conversion to see what actually you are going to save tho ! on todays expedia rates i got this
1,065.00 US dollars = 694.04 British pounds sterling just keep an eye on the pound !

Halifax charge a 2.95% "foreign currency exchange fee" on purchases that are not made in GBP. Assuming most card issuers use a similar rate, that would work out an extra $31.42/£20.40 using today's exchange rate (1.54 USD to the GBP).

Remember, if you declare it at customs you'll be charged VAT at 17.5%, though computers and laptops are apparently free of import duty. If you get stopped going through the green channel there will be a fine too.

If your mate knows anyone who works for the NHS you can get the same MacBook for £797.83 through NHSDiscounts.com.

With regards to Apple honouring grey market warranties, he'd be best contacting Apple UK.

Back