Burning out genuine Sly cards

eazi

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've read a lot of stories that Dream boxes can burn out a genuine Sly card due to a difference in 5v and 3.5 v used i the recievers.

Firstly is this bol*x

secondly, does the TM600 suffer from the same thing?

i've never seen a legit post offering evidence of this happening on any box, i might of missed it, but to me seems like just rumours..

I want to be sure because I want to borrow a card, wouldn't be good if I burnt it out :)

Hi i have heard of sly card burning in internal reader of 500 boxes i have read a thread on a forum very recently card burning out on 500s after running in the box for one year problem with dm500s is it does not have usb option if you have usb option you can use external card reader like omnikey reader and smargo

I heard that there are ways of 'overclocking' cards to get more clients from them when sharing and this can cause cards to burn out, is this true? could this be what you mean?

When I originally tried a white card in dm800 using cccam 2.13 some time ago the card was getting very hot. I now have white card running in dm500 using cccam 2.14 and it is cool as a cucumber

i run a card in a dreambox for 4 years, with no problems, and a card in a TM500 for nearly a year, and its fine

try overclocking the card, or fook up your config controlling the reader freequency, and you will risk damaging it, but other than that, for normal use, its bolox m8

This will make you smile

My white sky card is has a brown halo all around the chip, so it is true deffo not bullocks.

My m8s white card not affected by heat (no signs of brown on it) what so ever and its working its nuts off.

My card is in a sky+ box and never been used on anything else.

My m8s is in a tm 600.

So there you go

Coley

This will make you smile

My white sky card is has a brown halo all around the chip, so it is true deffo not bullocks.

My m8s white card not affected by heat (no signs of brown on it) what so ever and its working its nuts off.

My card is in a sky+ box and never been used on anything else.

My m8s is in a tm 600.

So there you go

Coley

you say its defo not bollox, hinting that the card will get burned in a dm/tm 500 or 600 ya?

yet you say that your card ( the one that has signs of burning ) has only ever been in an original sly box...... and your mate that has his card in a tm600 shows no sign of overheating..... so what is it your tryin to say????

in my opinion the tm500/600 wont burn your card as long as you dont mess with overclocking settings etc... and if it does re-insert it into the original box see what message comes up on screen then ring sly....... get a new one...

well my sky+HD box runs the card extremly hot.. and is charred on one side.

my sky+ box on the other hand, no problem with the card in either the sky+ box or my dm500

The white card runs cooler in a tm600 than in a SKY+ box.

I would not worry anyway overheating in a tm for the above reasons. Just trying to settles the worrys.

Coley

My mate recently bought a DM500 which made his sly card discolour.

It seems the box is faulty, it's hot as central heating radiator (I felt it) even when it's in standby without the card.

So, it could be that the people who have had their card's burnt just had faulty boxes.

well my sky+HD box runs the card extremly hot.. and is charred on one side.

my sky+ box on the other hand, no problem with the card in either the sky+ box or my dm500

i repair these boxes, and find that this is normally down to excessive smoking in the home, the 'charring' is caused by smoke being drawn into the receiver by the internal fan, and it leaves tar on the plastic

If your really worried why not modify the card reader on your box to run at 3.3v instead of 5v.

mine gets hotter in the sly hd than it does in my dream600 gen

how do you do this then?

Simplest/cheapest method is as suggested above - current limiting resistors. A better solution would be to use one of the chips that are designed to bridge 3.3v and 5v logic or you could build your own using a few transistors and/or fet's.

cheapest way is to solder 2 diodes in series on the 5v supply, the natural voltage drop through a diode if i remember correctly is 0.7v, 2 in series would be a v drop of 1.4v leaving the voltage at the reader at 3.6v...

my reckoning anyhow...

Back