Quick roundup of the ultimo for people who are looking to buy.

fruitball

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all thought i would give my initial impressions of the vu+ ultimo as i have just recently purchased one.

I bought this receiver due to wanting the ability to have 3 tuners and to be able to mix and match them so i will have 2 tuners for satellite and 1 for terrestrial. Also i wanted it because vu+ is a good make and there is plenty of support out there for the receivers, I also have the duo so i wanted the reliabilty of the vu+ and also the support that goes with it.

Price: Mine cost £450 and im happy with that. For what you get it is not bad atall. Remember the dm800se is £429 and does not hold a candle to this receiver. Now you can buy an original duo for £280 - £300 but you only get 2 tuners. If you spend the little extra and get the ultimo you wont be dissapointed, You get better cpu, and more memory which is always a good thing. Tuners are slightly better then duo, you get a damm sexy vfd display, 2 cam slots and 2 cards slots, wireless dongle for the receiver included, 3 tuner slots to record up to 8 channels at once, and with mix and match it doubles as a freeview box and a cable box. Qwerty remote (may not be everyones cup of tea but you can change it).

Hardware:
400 Mhz processor (BCM 7413)
• 10/100 MBit compatible Ethernet Interface
• HDMI Connection
• 3 x Pluggable Tuner Slots (DVB-S2/C/T)
• WIFI USB dongle 300 Mb
• Plug & Play support for 2.5" and 3.5" SATA hard drive
• Big graphic display 256x64 pixel OLED

Technical Data:

Broadcom 400MHz MIPS processor (BCM7413)
1GB Flash
512MB Ram

Front Panel
2 x Smart Card slot
2 x Common Interface
1 x USB 2.0
Key 5 buttons (standby, volume + / -, Ch + / -)
Large Graphic VFD display type (256 × 64) pixels

Rear Panel
3 x Pluggable Tuner Slots (DVB-S2/C/T)
1 x TV Scart Connection
1 x RCA Video output (composite)
Video output (component) YPbPr
1 x HDMI Video / Audio output (digital)
2 x RCA Audio output (analogue)
Audio output (digital) standard optical (SPDIF)
2 x USB 2.0
1 x Ethernet
1 x RS 232
FAN Control Automatic
1 x e-SATA

Power
Main range 100-250/50-60 V / HZ
Power consumtion
(Max / type. Operation / standby) 60/25/1 W

RF
RF range 47-864 MHz
FEC, de-multiplexed DVB-S2 / DVB-C / DVB-T standard

Video
CCIR 601 video resolution (720 × 576 lines), 576p, 720p, 1080i
Video decoding MPEG-2, MPEG-4 compatible
Input data rate 2-45 Msymb / s
S / N> 53dB

Audio
Decoding AC3, MPEG-4 (AAC-HE), MPEG 1, Layer 1,2 and 3
Sampling rate 32/4.1/48KHz
S / N> 65dB

LNB
LNB supply (Hor / vert.) 14/18, max. 400 V / mA
Control 22KHz signal, ToneBurst, DiSEqC 1.0/1.1/1.2, USALS

General
Dimensions (WxHxD) 380 x 60 x 290mm
Weight 3.0 Kg
Universal Remote Remote / QWERTY keyboard

Im pleased to say it is nice and responsive, quicker then my duo and my dreambox (if set up right) and picture quality excellent.

Quality: Box came rapped up and uses a nice eco friendly box if that floats your boat, The receiver has touch sensitive buttons on the front and has an excellent paintjob. The unit it self is very well made and has adjustable blue leds for the front panel. Common interface slots is protected by a magnetic door which is nicely built. I like the remote that comes with the receiver but by no means the best, it is very LINE OF SIGHT dependent and you may want to change it to one of the harmany remotes. Receiver has a nice array of connectivity at the back which i have listed down in the specs up above.

support: I am using the latest vix image on my receiver and it is brilliant, nice and stable and nice and quick. Tried to make it crash a number of times but it will not. Blindscan feature is rubbish but hopefully will be sorted in the next image. not much more i can say as i really havent had a good play with it but i have loaded a multisat bueteq and using 2 tuners and it has performed flawlessly. I have my sub card for 13e and it works brilliantly. HD picture quality is excellent, optical out works well aswell. Always plenty of support on this site.

Verdict: If your willing to stump up the cash to buy it you will not be dissapointed, As with any linux receiver there may be some teething problems but help is always on hand here. Its truly an excellent receiver if you want 3 tuner capability and extra horse power the box has.

regards

fruitball.

just to add around july the dualtuners from Vu+ will be avaible so you could have a six tuner stb then if you wanted to
i think i will insatall one dualtuner in my Ultimo
so i will have three sat tuners (1 single+1 dual tuner with no loop through)and 1 dtt tuner installed then that would be my ultimate box
i'm more then happy with my Vu+ Ultimo so i completly agree

question about the 3rd tuner, i understand that you plug the 2 cables from the dish into the 2 tuners on a Duo
do you plug the terrestrial cable into the 3rd tuner on the ultimo?
therefore able to record on both the sat tuners and still watch terrestrial?

Just bought a Uno and Duo, so this will be something to look way down the line :)

question about the 3rd tuner, i understand that you plug the 2 cables from the dish into the 2 tuners on a Duo
do you plug the terrestrial cable into the 3rd tuner on the ultimo?
therefore able to record on both the sat tuners and still watch terrestrial?

Just bought a Uno and Duo, so this will be something to look way down the line :)

yes if you put a terrestrial tuner in the third slot, if you put another satellite tuner in there you would have 3 satellite feeds one per tuner.

Back