Britain, Your PS3s Will Stream TV As Of September 10 (Everyone Else, Little Later)

karym6

DW Regular
Reaction score
Europe's PlayTV service for the PS3 is looking very nice. We already knew SCEE were looking at a release window of around September, but yesterday Sony's David Reeves started handing out actual dates and actual info. The UK will be the first country to get PlayTV, with it due to start up on September 10, with a staggered roll-out across Europe in the weeks after. As a bonus treat, he also confirmed that you'll be able to record TV onto your HDD at the same time you're playing a game, with the necessary code having been quietly slipped into the 2.41 update. Oh, and before anyone not up to speed on PlayTV asks, no, there are no plans to bring it to the US.

http://kotaku.com/5026571/britain-y...as-of-september-10-everyone-else-little-later

It's shiny, I'll give it that.

It's my favourite shiny dust magnet.

this was a selling point when the ps3 came out it was said that you could use it as a freeview pvr (sorta)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I just saw the shine and was sold, I said "ok, give me that free PS3, it's the shiniest thing I've ever seen".

:)

The xbox360 is a pile of shite, it's not shiny at all!

must have hurt you to type a pile of shite for your 360 lol :p

this freeview tv thingy lol
do you reckon they will broadcast hd?
bet they wont
bobo

if its a freeview box and there are HD broadcasts on freeview then yes, I imagine you would be able to watch HD channels

if its a freeview box and there are HD broadcasts on freeview then yes, I imagine you would be able to watch HD channels

recording was mentioned back at the start aswell

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

when it comes out u'll only be allowed to record from the freeview channels to the ps3 hard drive. As for the HD channels, it's a long way off 2012 before they are going to have the space to boardcast HD stuff which you can pick up from your aerial

And I guess with the advent of Freesat, this may be redunant before it comes out ;)

I would imagine something like this would be big in Japan, the PSX (not the playstation 1) in Japan had up to 7 tv tuners built in. Apparently broadcasting in Japan is a lot more complex than here.

Does anyone reckon you will be able to connect the box to a dreambox and recorded tv from that as well or only Freeview TV?

Correct me if I am wrong, but are there not tools already about that let you record from a DM500?

Back