bootmgr is missing

boot off win7 dvd
when language screen comes up click next
bottom left of next dialog box should be repair
I think the option is 'boot problems' or something similar, let it run and it should reboot and be OK

boot off win7 dvd
when language screen comes up click next
bottom left of next dialog box should be repair
I think the option is 'boot problems' or something similar, let it run and it should reboot and be OK

tried that..choose option to repair... but like i said no op system is shown in the drop down menu...lookls like another fresh install..

sorry mate..but how do i check if the hard drive is ok....

Determine what drive it is, either by looking in the BIOS or by physically looking at the disk, i.e. Seagate, Maxtor etc.

Then download a hard drive test tool from the manufacturer for the particular drive that you have

Just go into bios set to boot from cd insert your win 7 dvd and follow the instructions.

Sounds to me like you have deleted the primary partition.

done all the above...took the long route...reinstalled windows vista that came with laptop...then back to windows 7....now for all the software and programs to put back...

I had a similar problem running a dual boot Vista & Windows 7 - Running a Vista Repair forces the Vista Boot manager onto the Disk /Partition of the primary installation. If that is the Windows 7 partition, or Disk then it kills your Windows 7. Luckily I was dual booting off two disks so I physically disconnected the Vista Disc, then booted the Windows 7 DVD disk to the 'repair mode'. Although it did'nt find an O.S on the disk, it came up with another drop down menu which had 'Set Up Repair' as the top option. Clicking on that caused a full test of the boot system, then reloaded the correct Windows 7 Boot Manager. I then reconnected the Vista Disk, and successfully rebooted the P.C.

why?

did you upgrade vista? thats not doing a clean install.

i had to do it this way cos..i couldnt repair when using windows 7 disc...there was no operating system in the options...i tried different windows 7 discs, laptop would boot up from disc start the installation and the some error message regarding some volume being corrupt would pop up..coudnt go further....so i rememembered i had the windows vista back up disks that i created when i bought the laptop...reloaded vista...then installed windows 7 not as the "upgrade" option but the other option in windows 7...vista was in windows.old folder so ideleted that...all is fine now...thanks guys..appreciate the time give and replies to help me..:Clap:

you didn't have to repair.

Boot to the Windows 7 disk, select 'Custom' installation, at the drive select screen choose 'Advanced' to give you the extra options then delete all the partitions in the window listed - then select install.

as long as it's working thought :D

you didn't have to repair.

Boot to the Windows 7 disk, select 'Custom' installation, at the drive select screen choose 'Advanced' to give you the extra options then delete all the partitions in the window listed - then select install.

as long as it's working thought :D
lol...next time ill remember....ta

Back