bmw handbrake

most BMW's are adjusted through the rear drum/disc , remove wheels and there is a hole above the wheel nut holes , with a small torch u will see a ratchet wheel , u have to turn this with a screw driver still the wheel stops turning and then turn back two clicks then try hand brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most BMW's are adjusted through the rear drum/disc , remove wheels and there is a hole above the wheel nut holes , with a small torch u will see a ratchet wheel , u have to turn this with a screw driver still the wheel stops turning and then turn back two clicks then try hand brake

thats buggered him up then he is scotish wont know what a screwdriver is :)

I thought mine (bmw too) needed adjusted about 6 weeks ago. Spoke to a mechanic about doing it or could I do it myself. He asked if I was pressing the button constantly when setting the handbrake, Yip that's the way I was taught nearly 30 years ago. He said try it for a week or so only pressing the handbrake button when you first move it, defo should hear at least 3 ratchet clicks. Was rather sceptical but seems to have done the trick, handbrake feels 'tighter'. Might work for you unless you already use the handbrake that way?
HH.

my m8 done all my pads yesterday aswell as the sensors (jimbo59 from here)
all lights reset ok after messing about,but im not happy with handbrake as it seems to hold
on about 8 notches,but ive read on forum to pull the brake on while doing about 10mph
a few times and i think thats a bit better now (6 notches)
i see video of the way you said m8 but its a bit beyond me lol

thats buggered him up then he is scotish wont know what a screwdriver is :)
get it up yi lol

I thought mine (bmw too) needed adjusted about 6 weeks ago. Spoke to a mechanic about doing it or could I do it myself. He asked if I was pressing the button constantly when setting the handbrake, Yip that's the way I was taught nearly 30 years ago. He said try it for a week or so only pressing the handbrake button when you first move it, defo should hear at least 3 ratchet clicks. Was rather sceptical but seems to have done the trick, handbrake feels 'tighter'. Might work for you unless you already use the handbrake that way?
HH.

fook im the same ,always press button in ,
its just the way we must have be taught,ill try it without
pressing button to see if it makes difference.

cheers for replys gents.and nap

dont know wot bmw u have but its only a lever theres nothing in there the auto adjust your handbrake ,. think only the new bmw 1 has and adjuster RealOEM.com * Online BMW Parts Catalog look here under your make and see picture

handbrake shoes adjust is number 4 366.png

Last edited:
even if there is a handbrake cable adjuster u should always adjust the brakes , the bmw1 has the same rear handbrake shoe adjuster

..........................ill try it without
pressing button to see if it makes difference......................

Any joy with this?
HH.

Back