BMW 3 Series BLUETOOTH

hnj

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Got an 2003 BMW 3 series 318i SE, wanted to find out whether or not it has bluetooth, the car has a cassette player (bmw business), and on the steering wheel there is voice recognition control. When i press voice recognition button nothing happens, even if i hold it?

any ideas

please help
thanks
hnj

Check under the glove compartment. i have the same thing on my 5 series. there should be a box with a sync button.

on some its under the centre console arm rest thing.

o so you mean the voice recognition button may just be there like show lol? only on some it works?

have you checked the menu? if you have that round turning centre console menu navigator thing.....then check out the settings and see if there is a bluetooth option.

i've forgotten where i looked to find the pairing code, but it shouldnt be hard to google it

if it does not even have a cd changer in the boot...it is highly doubtfull it will have Bluetooth installed .
i have had a few beamers(all 3 series) , and all had the button on the steering wheel..
and yeah u guessed it ...none have had BT installed , which renders the button useless !
unless you goto the dealers and get it fitted of course .
weird really cause it is an optional extra on the 3 series ..but hey lets tempt you with a
useless button on the wheel lol .

had a 3 series (2008)...no cd changer in boot but had bluetooth

had a 3 series (2008)...no cd changer in boot but had bluetooth

lol...go figure...
suppose it depends on what extras people order with the brand new 3 series beamer....
i wouldnt know , never bought one brand new.

will go check that in my car today.

wanted to ask if the car does not have bluetooth anyone know places where i can get it added? for a reasonable price. Or is it wasy enough for me to buy it and insert it myself?

thanks
hnj

will go check that in my car today.

wanted to ask if the car does not have bluetooth anyone know places where i can get it added? for a reasonable price. Or is it wasy enough for me to buy it and insert it myself?

thanks
hnj

hi..
If you want it installing in such a way that the button works on the steering wheel , you be better off goin to the dealers which will cost around 300 quid !! thats wot they estimated me anyway ..

I went to Halfords and got them to install this...(free installation)

iO Play IP Stereo Car Kit from Halfords Was £149.99 Save £20.00 Price £129.99

it is a great bit of kit .... especially if you have a decent mobile phone that can play stereo over bluetooth( the format called A2DP) or will work with iphones too .
this will allow to play music right out your phones mem card over bluetooth with EXCELLENT sound quality . and its so easy to use ..
IT supports voice dial too , crystal clear , and the mic that comes with it is brilliant quality (i always get remarks in phone calls askin where i got my hands free from) its that good !
its a must buy for any1 who drives about a lot , and uses the phone in the car , possibly the best thing i ever bought.
Halfords fitted it within a week of purchasing it too .

Last edited:
i think the best thing that i should do is get an cd player that has bluetooth, aux etc and one that has stalk adaptor, so then i can use some buttons on the wheel such as volume, frequency, R/T. As the unit has bluetooth it will also have A2DP, therefore i can play music from mobile and even make calls.

that will be the best way for me. I know that the voice recognition will not work with this but o well..

let me what you lot think..

thanks
hnj

yeah that would work too ...

personally i like the BMW head unit , so i would not want to change it , mainly for cosmetic reasons though LOL , i like things to be original .

but entirely upto yourself .
good luck dude...let us know what you decide to do..

thanks mate, i prefer it original, as it looks much better, then those shitty cd players, but the bmw business cd players are soo expensive, they have no auxiliary, bluetooth, sd card, NOTHING! and does it even play mp3 cds?

what other original bmw cd players are out there which do alot of things and are reasonable price?

thanks alot ppl :)

Back