Black Screen on Wii after trying to update to 4.1

afcwomble

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I am doing a Wii for a mate but as its been a while since I last done 1 it's all changed(used Zelda last time). Anyway followed the TUT https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/222748/ and got as far as the update which it looked as though it did but every time i went to Wii settings after it was still on 3.4E? So i then followed the update guide in stickies https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/210875/#post1588531 which seemed all ok, rebooted and got black screen. I have a copy of NAND but it would only install as ios so now won't go to bootmii on startup. Any way out of this or am i fooked? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Answering my own question LOL-Found a way out with a solution from WiiHacks-saved my bacon big time. If anyone has the same its the top sticky on there-don't know if I can post links but well worth the read.

Edit: Forget the above-my son plugged his Wii in while I was out & I done it on that-still in same boat now as that didn't work :(

Last edited:
did you get it sorted mate or still have a brick and the wii nand backup,if so all isnt lost

I have the NAND but still no joy with unbricking-been looking at a few ways with no joy-just going to try the autoboot disc way now-do you have any pointers on other ways?

do you have a game cube controller,you could try savemefrii,if not and assuming the nand backup is ok there are peeps who could take of the nand chip ,reflash with ur backup then solder back on but could cost upto £40 :(

or is it still under guarantee,,tell Nintendo it fooked up during an update

Cheere for reply-No I don't have a gamecube controller but can prob get hold of 1 if need be-will that savemefrii Cheerswork with buttons or just controller? Console is only a wek old-told my mate I could do for him as i've done 3 now over the past but when I looked again the new ways are different(i.e no Zelda). I did look into it well before and followed TUT to the letter I thought but obviously on the update I fooked up. Good to know it can be sorted by chiplift if all else fails tho-do you know who does this service if I get stuck? Going to have a trawl through and find this savemefrii now-Thanks

yep i know of a guy aslong as u have a backup,,,,,,,,,and if it makes you better mate,i am in the same boat with one and i did follow the letter to the tut.....everybit of it,,still cant understand why :proud:

LOL-Yea i'm sure i followed it word for word-oh well shit happens! Also is a gamepad ok to use or does it have to be a controller? Might invest in 1 as they're not that expensive.

Cheers Bro-going to get one from fleabay and give this a go 1st-will let you know how I get on when I get it and if I have any luck using other ways

Well no joy with the gamepad trick:( so looks like i'm goosed. I take it that all you do is plug into port 4 on console and hold L,R,Up & Down whilst powering Wii or am i missing anything? You don't need a disc or anythin in do you? I've done a few searches and there doesn't seem alot on it. And has anyone sent a console back to Nintendo after bricking it? Is it a case of them finding a botched installation of homebrew on it & charging a fortune or do they just change it?

Cheers for reply Bro-No didn't open it-thought you could do with making sure 4 buttons are pressed together? I don't think the 1 I have is a Nintendo made but read this doesn't matter? And yes Wii is under warranty-my mate bought it from Argos about 2 weeks ago.

not opening it will make it hard to connect all 4 buttons at once mate...also unsure if nintendo could tell if it has been fooked about with,could tell them it bricked with one of there updates possibly

the problem's you are having is probably because new wii's have a different drive and chip set take it back and get it changed before the grace period expires then look for the correct hack, im not sure there is one as yet

edogg

so all the newer ones come with 3.4 firmware?

no idea what firmware they come with just there is a new drive chip that is causing problems

edogg

Yes that's correct-it was on 3.4 when I got it. I'm going to try to get him to return as faulty to Argos but might be out of the 14 day return now-if it is i'll get him to email Nintendo. So all the newer Wii's will have a problem then edogg?

Also tried the gamecube controller apart with no joy so defo a brick!

Edit: Just read this on Argos site-Please note that this product is excluded from our 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.

That means its Nintendo return or try to get the chip lifted/replaced from the look of it.

Last edited:
no take it back to ARGOS its faulty it wont turn on all goods have at least 12months guarantee from the shop check out the watchdog sticky at the top of this site

edogg

Cheers Edogg-I'll get him to do it at weekend. If he gets replacement am I right in saying that it can't be modded at present?

Back