Black and white television still No1 choice for 13,000 UK homes

Maybe last year, but as now we are on Digital (never heard of a digital/freeview reciever that was black and white) you will have to pay for a colour license as its what you can recieve that applies not what you watch. The same applies if you had a VCR and a B/W telly

It's Not what you can receive that you have to have a licence for, it is what you watch.
Your house can have a TV aerial so you can receive the signal for colour TV, but if you do not have a TV then you don't have to pay the licence, likewise if you only have a black and white TV then you only pay for a black and white licence.

It's Not what you can receive that you have to have a licence for, it is what you watch.
Your house can have a TV aerial so you can receive the signal for colour TV, but if you do not have a TV then you don't have to pay the licence, likewise if you only have a black and white TV then you only pay for a black and white licence.
One question mate if you bought a black and white TV licence how can these people tell whether its a colour TV or not?. Does it send a different signal or do the boys come round to check your TV?.

One question mate if you bought a black and white TV licence how can these people tell whether its a colour TV or not?. Does it send a different signal or do the boys come round to check your TV?.

Hi Miggy, No they cannot tell the difference between a black & white or colour TV.
They basically have a full version of the electrol roll and have those who have purchased a licence tiked off the list, the remainder they then assume do not have a licence, who are then sent a reminder and those who do not respond are those who are targeted.
There is a myth that TVL (TV Licence) Detector Vans did not have any detection equipment in them, which at the beginning was propably true but is no longer the situation. The likelyhood of eve seeing a TVL Van is fairly remote because the total fleet of these Vans only numbers about 30 for the whole country and some of them are "Dummy" vans that do not have equipment.
They usually target properties on foot using hand held equipment and then knock on the door. They will usually ask to come in to check, however they do not have any authority to do so. The onus is on the TV Licence people to prove that you have a TV and are watching TV on it, after all you may have a 50" 3D Plasma Smart TV and only watch DVD's and play Games on it, in which case you do not need a licence.
To get people to pay up they rely on threats of Court action which the say will end in fines and possibly prison, but they would have to prove that you were watching the the current TV Channels on your TV.

Hi Miggy, No they cannot tell the difference between a black & white or colour TV.
They basically have a full version of the electrol roll and have those who have purchased a licence tiked off the list, the remainder they then assume do not have a licence, who are then sent a reminder and those who do not respond are those who are targeted.
There is a myth that TVL (TV Licence) Detector Vans did not have any detection equipment in them, which at the beginning was propably true but is no longer the situation. The likelyhood of eve seeing a TVL Van is fairly remote because the total fleet of these Vans only numbers about 30 for the whole country and some of them are "Dummy" vans that do not have equipment.
They usually target properties on foot using hand held equipment and then knock on the door. They will usually ask to come in to check, however they do not have any authority to do so. The onus is on the TV Licence people to prove that you have a TV and are watching TV on it, after all you may have a 50" 3D Plasma Smart TV and only watch DVD's and play Games on it, in which case you do not need a licence.
To get people to pay up they rely on threats of Court action which the say will end in fines and possibly prison, but they would have to prove that you were watching the the current TV Channels on your TV.
Very interesting mate so what's to stop me buying a black and white TV licence for a colour TV?. As long as you keep your door locked what can they do?. Another thing why do blind people get 50% discount on there licence? should it not be free for them after all they cannot see anything only listen?. Seems a bit pointless to me.

Very interesting mate so what's to stop me buying a black and white TV license for a colour TV?. As long as you keep your door locked what can they do?. Another thing why do blind people get 50% discount on there licence? should it not be free for them after all they cannot see anything only listen?. Seems a bit pointless to me.

There is not really a lot stopping you doing that other than the fact that you would be breaking the law and you could get caught out at some point (perhaps by leaving your curtains open and them being able to photograph the TV on).
You can even stop them knocking the door by sending them a letter which states :-
"There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to visit me on my property without express permission; the Postman and people asking directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384 per Lord Evershed M.R.)". Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, you will be liable to damages for tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to Police attendance."
"Yours faithfully"
"And then Print or sign your Name Digitally"
The Last paragraph would need to be changed in Scotland to something along the lines of :-
"You will be reported for harassment and I will seek damages for a delict of trespass. You would also be liable for conspiring in a delict of trespass by acting in defiance of my instuctions and sending someone to visit me nevertheless. Should it be necessary, I will obtain an interdict from the Court to prevent you carrying out your threat to call."
As for the 50% Discount for the Blind, the Licence holder can be Blind and get discount but may have others living with them who are not blind and so can still watch the TV.
Also if the License Holder is 75 or over then they can apply for a Free 3 year license and again it does not matter if there are younger people living at the address.

Last edited:
There is not really a lot stopping you doing that other than the fact that you would be breaking the law and you could get caught out at some point (perhaps by leaving your curtains open and them being able to photograph the TV on).
You can even stop them knocking the door by sending them a letter which states :-
"There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to visit me on my property without express permission; the Postman and people asking directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384 per Lord Evershed M.R.)". Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, you will be liable to damages for tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to Police attendance."
"Yours faithfully"
"And then Print or sign your Name Digitally"
The Last paragraph would need to be changed in Scotland to something along the lines of :-
"You will be reported for harassment and I will seek damages for a delict of trespass. You would also be liable for conspiring in a delict of trespass by acting in defiance of my instuctions and sending someone to visit me nevertheless. Should it be necessary, I will obtain an interdict from the Court to prevent you carrying out your threat to call."
As for the 50% Discount for the Blind, the Licence holder can be Blind and get discount but may have others living with them who are not blind and so can still watch the TV.
Also if the License Holder is 75 or over then they can apply for a Free 3 year license and again it does not matter if there are younger people living at the address.
Spot on mate thank you. I think I will keep my colour licence then, it sounds like too much hassle trying to fiddle I am bound to get caught.

Something tells me that the figure of 13,000 may well see a steady rise in the coming years, along with the second hand values of black and white portable tv sets :D

Roll on the car boot season :roflmao:

As hinted at above, I suspect a LOT of these B&W TV's are owned by blind people.

I used to know someone whose TV didnt even have a screen, she kept it to listen to as her eyesight was too poor to see beyond about 12".

Luckily she also decided to stop driving!!!

(OK the last bit was a pointed joke - I have known several people who were driving even thought they had less than 10% vision)

I bought a wall bracket for a tv last year from a supermarket and they had to fill a form in for tv license purposes

Back