binned virgin media tv what now

billybob2

Inactive User
Reaction score
I binned virgin media tv after 14 years.The cost was going up and up,£79 is too much so i binned the tv and now I have one virgin box freeveiw it was cheaper keeping one box for £34.99.Now i have xl phone and 30MG internet.Does any one know any way I can watch discovery channels and history channels? That's the only ones I watch and I dont mind paying a small cost like £5 month for a good service

£5 you looking for a damn pay server then

Another option is to stream tv with the likes of xbmc on a laptop/pc. You just need to add the fusion installer and use xbmc hub wizard to install all kinds from films/sports to live tv.

BT Infinity has a Discovery Channel option? £5 is optimistic lol

That said, my deal includes Discovery and is half what you were paying.

I binned virgin media tv after 14 years.The cost was going up and up,£79 is too much so i binned the tv and now I have one virgin box freeveiw it was cheaper keeping one box for £34.99.Now i have xl phone and 30MG internet.Does any one know any way I can watch discovery channels and history channels? That's the only ones I watch and I dont mind paying a small cost like £5 month for a good service

Try here:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:
have a look in the cable section you might find something in there

we have been slowly cord cutting as well, when the kids are a little older i will completely disconnect the tivos as the price is becoming more of a joke daily.

Heres what ive done so far

set up a mac mini, 8tb nas drive - Set up plex media centre on the device.

I then have a few android devices attatched to the tvs, and a couple of chromecasts.

I also have NOW TV boxes (plex will install to these)

I now sub to netflix and now tv, i also have the useless amazon on demand which dosent seem to work on any device i own atm.

As things are now i pay about £90 per month for 150mb and three tivos - I was paying £150 pm with movies sports, but a quick switch to now tv and xbmc im paying about £60 less per month in total.

If your only really after discovery channel and some sky line up check out the now tv entertainment pass - i think that works out about £5 per month but you can get better deals on the interwebs if you look about,.

we have been slowly cord cutting as well, when the kids are a little older i will completely disconnect the tivos as the price is becoming more of a joke daily.

Heres what ive done so far

set up a mac mini, 8tb nas drive - Set up plex media centre on the device.

I then have a few android devices attatched to the tvs, and a couple of chromecasts.

I also have NOW TV boxes (plex will install to these)

I now sub to netflix and now tv, i also have the useless amazon on demand which dosent seem to work on any device i own atm.

As things are now i pay about £90 per month for 150mb and three tivos - I was paying £150 pm with movies sports, but a quick switch to now tv and xbmc im paying about £60 less per month in total.

If your only really after discovery channel and some sky line up check out the now tv entertainment pass - i think that works out about £5 per month but you can get better deals on the interwebs if you look about,.

There is also 3rd party sellers of Netflix so you could cut your bill more, do a quick google search for one. It's not strictly legal so I won't divulge further as unsure if the forums t+cs allow discussion. But just throwing it out there as an option

I got rid of virgin tv when we moved and just have free view and download any thing we miss and more ;) the way I see it tv is shite nothing on except soaps and repeats even on sky channels.

btw not missed it one bit even the sports I just down load and watch later :D

Another option is to stream tv with the likes of xbmc on a laptop/pc. You just need to add the fusion installer and use xbmc hub wizard to install all kinds from films/sports to live tv.

This is what i've just got into, but instead of using a laptop/pc, get yourself an Android MX2 for £40. :)

There is also 3rd party sellers of Netflix so you could cut your bill more, do a quick google search for one. It's not strictly legal so I won't divulge further as unsure if the forums t+cs allow discussion. But just throwing it out there as an option
yes I ditched sly a few months ago,your right to expensive does anybody know if there is sly go to be had so to speak,tried VIrgin anmywhere and that was crap,sorryif in wrong thread..........

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i going for a freesat box i got a old sky dish up had sky + long time ago dose anyone no witch one to get and witch one not to get i just bit of a newbie PM if you no of one thank for all the help

i think i going for a freesat box i got a old sky dish up had sky + long time ago dose anyone no witch one to get and witch one not to get i just bit of a newbie PM if you no of one thank for all the help

humax are the best... you can get a used one for £20ish off e*** regards mdt

Back