Bike chain/lock, which ?

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My lads recently had his bike stolen (bolt cropped) wasnt a dear bike but all the same it has to be replaced. What's a decent lock on the market as I'm clueless on this.
I watched litelok video but 90 quid ? Bikes not worth that

Get a tracker, is there a lock that cant be cut?? if its made by man it can be broken.. :)

LockPickingLawyer often reviews bike locks on YT, most are useless if you know what you are doing with slide hammers and other tools.

I know theres no lock that cant be done but its just while hes at Uni just make it harder for the local smackhead chancer gang. Its left in a very busy area in the day next to the main door. At night it's in a lock up

I wouldn't trust the opinions of YouTubers such as LockPickingLawyer. I don't think he fairly reviews locks as he never actually talks about the usability of the product and when he tests them his goal is to break it quickly as that gets him lots of views and he can make money from the adverts. A video titled 'Bike Lock destroyed in super-fast time' is going to get a lot more views than 'bike lock reviewed'. You have no idea how much testing he does before he hits record. There is no evidence he even owns a bike.

But you do have to realise that no bike lock is unbreakable. They are deterrents and a good bike lock will hold off thieves for longer but if they want your bike bad enough and are undisturbed then they are taking your bike. Whatever bike lock you buy, no matter how secure it is, also get some kind of bike insurance. Especially if you live in a city.

There are professional independent testing bodys such as ART and Sold Secure who test bike locks based on information from police and they use realistic tools and methods. This is the best way to judge how good a bike lock is and then you can find one that fits your price range. As I said, no bike lock is unbreakable but I'm sure there is one out there that best fits your needs.

Here is a good blog that mentions what to look for when buying a bike lock - Top tips for choosing a Good Bike Lock

All the best.

Krypton Bike Lock are good

Kryptonite Evolution Standard D-Lock with FlexFrame Bracket Extra Info
  • Sold Secure Bicycle Gold certified
  • Weight: 3.5 lbs (1.59kgs)
  • Dimensions: 4" x 9" (10.2cm x 22.9cm)
  • Rated 8/10 on Kryptonite's security scale
  • Protective vinyl coating
  • Comes complete with 3 stainless steel keys & one lighted with high intensity LED bulb & replaceable battery
  • Key safe program

Fleebay

I watched LockPickingLawyer go through a Litelok in 16 seconds with some large cutters.
Now on first view you'd be thinking, the locks crap at £80-£90. But the thing is, it shows him cutting it on the floor with good leverage.

Also, he says the cutters are imported from Japan that are built to cut steel were as most cutters on the uk market similar to the ones he used are made to cut copper or aluminium not high end steel. Sh#t cutters get caught in in the mesh.

And then he said he had correctly adjusted the cutting blades beforehand. Most chancers robbin bikes dont even know were Japan is let alone import cutters. "Correctly adjust the cutting blades"? , Give us a break pal. The smackheads robbing bikes cant even adjust thier pants nevermind cutters.

And the strength to use these type of cutters on a litelok when it's not on the floor for full leverage. Ffs most scumbags round here couldn't crush a f##kin Fosters can.
I'm aware every lock can be bypassed what your after is to slow them down or make them think "This might take a minute or two, I'll rob the one at the side with the Asda lock". Its about slowing them down and move on.

With that Krypton Evolution Standard bike lock you are covered for £750

8/10 fist year is free and very cheep 5 year cover is only $24.99

WHAT YOU NEED TO REGISTER:
The following pieces of information are required for registration:

1. Contact details
  2. Lock information including a copy of the itemized receipt of purchase
  3. Key number of your lock
  4. Vehicle information including vehicle type (bike/powersport), base cost, the serial #
  5. An itemized copy of the bill of sale
  6. An image of your bicycle or powersport vehicle
Check it out here

Halfords are selling them cheap but you must order it online on there website , then just go and pick it up

Halfords

I wouldn't trust the opinions of YouTubers such as LockPickingLawyer. I don't think he fairly reviews locks as he never actually talks about the usability of the product and when he tests them his goal is to break it quickly as that gets him lots of views and he can make money from the adverts. A video titled 'Bike Lock destroyed in super-fast time' is going to get a lot more views than 'bike lock reviewed'. You have no idea how much testing he does before he hits record. There is no evidence he even owns a bike.

But you do have to realise that no bike lock is unbreakable. They are deterrents and a good bike lock will hold off thieves for longer but if they want your bike bad enough and are undisturbed then they are taking your bike. Whatever bike lock you buy, no matter how secure it is, also get some kind of bike insurance. Especially if you live in a city.

There are professional independent testing bodys such as ART and Sold Secure who test bike locks based on information from police and they use realistic tools and methods. This is the best way to judge how good a bike lock is and then you can find one that fits your price range. As I said, no bike lock is unbreakable but I'm sure there is one out there that best fits your needs.

Here is a good blog that mentions what to look for when buying a bike lock - Top tips for choosing a Good Bike Lock

All the best.

He's never been my favourite for locks, that would be Bosnianbill, as I learned to manipulate locks watching his videos first.

LPL does tend to use the destructive methods, but it doesn't matter if he owns a bike. He makes no money from me watching as I have all adverts blocked. Of course he tries to break a lock as quickly as possible, that's the idea of a lock; to slow down someone trying to remove it.

I wouldn't trust police information either, they wouldn't be able to admit if bunch of "DoAsTheyLikeys" were driving about with hydraulic spreaders and cutters.

Interesting @silverdale, the bike wasn't expensive but they still wanted the bike and not for scrap. If it was for scrap they would have taken the lock too but you knew it was cut so I'm assuming it was still there. I'd probably cut through the bike frame if I wanted to steal bikes for parts or scrap if it had a decent lock.

Yeah but the scruffy smackheads who rob any bike are either on the look out for a lift or theyll take it to a fencer and get a fiver.

Christ, my cousin recently had her car side window put through for 2 x £1 coins she'd left in the cup holder for car parking.

The vast majority do bike theft to either get from A to B or its for drugs and ale, their not bothered how. If they can get a tenner for a £200 bike it's £10 closer to a score or 5 car windows they do not care.

if you think it will be taken ,move it to a place were it will not,put more than 1 lock on it make it harder ,if they want your bike it will be taken,make it something they don't want to take all locks can be bypassed all,if you have 2 or 3 it will take more time more chance of getting nabbed,its just not worth buying a new one to be nicked.

My lads recently had his bike stolen (bolt cropped) wasnt a dear bike but all the same it has to be replaced. What's a decent lock on the market as I'm clueless on this.
I watched litelok video but 90 quid ? Bikes not worth that
Buy ABUS 460 D. I have been using this lock for years now. Advantages: 1- To cut it you need angle grinder. 2- it has the lock hole cover so it doesn't get dirty inside from the road. 3- it doesn't have any fixing attachments like kryptonite which scratch the bike frame 4- it costs only £33 . Keep in mind - if you buy a lock for £100 it can still be cat with an angle grinder the same like this one. You only want to prevent bolt cutter use.

Nice one @Markus 717 . Just about to make a purchase on a new bike which is quite expensive, and was looking for a securer lock than I have now 👍

Krypton Bike Lock are good

Kryptonite Evolution Standard D-Lock with FlexFrame Bracket Extra Info
  • Sold Secure Bicycle Gold certified
  • Weight: 3.5 lbs (1.59kgs)
  • Dimensions: 4" x 9" (10.2cm x 22.9cm)
  • Rated 8/10 on Kryptonite's security scale
  • Protective vinyl coating
  • Comes complete with 3 stainless steel keys & one lighted with high intensity LED bulb & replaceable battery
  • Key safe program

Fleebay

We used to break these as kids. Small scaffolding bar, and you can jump on it and snap these in half. Although that's how we did it as kids. Not sure if they're better designed than back then though.

Last edited:
don't buy cheap lock ,if you do say bye bye bike lol

If your bike is being left for a long period, a 'D' lock is your best option, or two if you can afford it. As @Exos has said, look for the 'Solid Secure' rating. But just to let you know, a determined thief will break any lock. I'm just in the process of buying this, but my bike's only being chained up for a short period of time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-York-Lock-Evolution-Chain/dp/B001JPQ0HC

Again, if it's being kept in an area for a long time, whether the lock is more expensive than the bike, buy the expensive lock. After all, your bike is your transport home no matter what it costs.

Just to let you know about the chain lock I bought...… it's heavy as feck!!!! I've seen these chain locks on motorbikes that have been chained up, so if weight is an issue, and you're bike will be chained up for a short period of time, go for a smaller one or a 'D' lock. That will be a visual deterrent. If it's for a long period, you'll just have to bite the bullet and accept something with links that look like it could hold a ship in dock!!! Or a 'D' lock, that shouldn't be as heavy as the chain I bought. I had to buy my chain one as it's a new and expensive mountain bike that I've bought.

Just to let you know about the chain lock I bought...… it's heavy as feck!!!! I've seen these chain locks on motorbikes that have been chained up, so if weight is an issue, and you're bike will be chained up for a short period of time, go for a smaller one or a 'D' lock. That will be a visual deterrent. If it's for a long period, you'll just have to bite the bullet and accept something with links that look like it could hold a ship in dock!!! Or a 'D' lock, that shouldn't be as heavy as the chain I bought. I had to buy my chain one as it's a new and expensive mountain bike that I've bought.

Your right these are what i use for my Motorbikes

Almax Immobiliser Series V EXTREME 22mm + Squire SS80CS Lock

Ive one at work one at home there in no way transportable on a bike, the one i have a work had the be taken there in the car it wont come home unless i swap jobs.

Back