Sensible Topic Benefit caps

I think its a sham for channel to air such a TV shows. But on the other hand, it does show how are system is flawed. It is so easy for an teen/youth who is rebellious to obtain council payed room, just because they don't get along with their parents. In some cases such as force marriage its a legitimate system, but for a teen who wants go out late at night its not.

Why should a forced marriage be a ligitimate reason for obtaining a council property ?
Forced marriages are supposed to be illegal in Britain and are certainly looked upon as morally wrong, so that should be an even stronger reason for not qualifying for council housing in those circumstances.
As for "teens who want to go out late at night", if their families have lived in an area for generations, why shouldn't they have priority over someone who has just moved into that area ?

So back to my original point. Renegotiate the EU deal (unlikely), leave the EU (not that likely) or bring benefits down in line (most likely).

I didn't say it was right or even good just that's the balance of probabilities. For one thing, there's no money to raise benefits across the EU. For another, the German economy is rolling because they cut back decades ago, including wages. That's how they became so competitive, at least in part.

Lessons from Germany's Economic Boom - Forbes

The French economy is pretty much a basket case because it failed to take on board what was inevitable.

Again, I'm not saying it's good or right. I'm not endorsing anything. It's an observation of how it is and is likely to be for some time.

In light of the UKIP success in the European MEP Elections and the success of (although this is slightly worrying) the Far Right Parties across Europe and in particular in France, it will be interesting to see if this results in the Freedom of Movement rulings and the so-called Reciprocal Equality as far as a countries Benefits are concerned. If the payments vary from country to country then how can it be reciprocal ?

i am on benefits and would love to know how some claimants are on 15k+ a year i am lucky if i get half that lol
i agree tho they should be capped as there are way too many people milking the system.
i am disabled btw and would love to work :(before you all start on me ;p

i am on benefits and would love to know how some claimants are on 15k+ a year i am lucky if i get half that lol
i agree tho they should be capped as there are way too many people milking the system.

It isn't a global or absolute cap per se as it doesn't apply if you work a certain amount of hours or meet certain other criteria, if I understand right.

Citizens Advice - The Benefit Cap and Housing Benefit - who is exempt?

There are some on here in the same boat as you, so don't worry about that. But as with everywhere else there are those who do not understand or believe what it is like, some people see both sides of the coin while other only see one side irrespective of what side it is.

The benefits cap is needed but I think it wasn't properly thought through before delivery. There are so many people that refused to work because the majority of their salary would go into rent. Rather than move to a more affordable property they would rather sit on benefits. This needed to stop and the benefit cap was suppose to be the answer however they didn't count on it affecting those people that can't actually work.
There are so many landlords out there that earn tons of cash through rental but don't provide a proper service to the tenants and most don't actually declare all their earnings so the taxman don't get his fair share. Why don't the gov make it a legal requirement for private landlords to register with the local council, who will decide the rental value ensuring tenants are not overcharged. That way they will also have the exact earnings of these landlords ensuring the correct tax is paid but also the tenant has the security in knowing they can report the landlords if they don't receive a proper service for the rent paid. How many private tenants are struggling with landlords not doing the necessary work to the properties? Tenants going without hot water and scared to press the landlord as they fear they will get notice to vacate?
It's such a mess with some folk cheating the system that the needy people suffer. I see this all to often on a day to day basis

You would be surprised how much money is flowing from local authorities to private landlords to rehouse people in ex LA stock.

Housing in this country is scandalous.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Totally agree with you @neorage , I have friends in Barking (not far from Dagenham) whose kids all managed to get council properties quite a few years ago but their grandchildren have no option but to stay with their parents because they cannot afford to get anywhere of their own to live, so it will be those working class people whose families have lived in the area for generations that will have to move out of the area.
Yet, migrants who arrive in the area become the priority cases for housing because they are "homeless" despite the fact many have homes where they have come from and yet if you had lived in the area all of your life you have to prove that you have not made yourself "Intentionally Homeless" and they request all sorts of bank details and bank statements, which they obviously do not make any effort to do with the migrants.
And I don't care how many people think this is being racist, it is Not !!! it is Fact !!
I know, I have been through it !!!

It's not a fact, unless you have been in a LA area for 24 months you cannot apply for rehousing or make a homeless approach. No local connection no right to homeless.

The only time a migrant might be picked up is if they have young children and may be destitute as local LA as duty under children act.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a fact, unless you have been in a LA area for 24 months you cannot apply for rehousing or make a homeless approach. No local connection no right to homeless.

The only time a migrant might be picked up is if they have young children and may be destitute as local LA as duty under children act.

I'm sorry but you are wrong on that, to qualify for emergency housing when homeless, the council has to have reason to believe that you:
1) Have a right to live in the UK and are eligible for assistance.
2) Are legally homeless.
3) Are in priority need.

To decide if you are entitled to help with longer-term housing, the council also has to be satisfied that you are not intentionally homeless and that you have a local connection with its area. That local connection can be as little as having applied for a job in the area, or even using a locally situated "Help Group" and as for the "intentionally homeless" consideration the checks done on migrants and proof required is much less than for a British applicant because the councils know that it is almost impossible to check any background on a migrant.
And on that point, truthfully how many migrants here do you think were homeless in their country of origin before they came here ?

The only reason a migrant is unlikely to be eligible for help is if their passport or letter from the Home Office says they have 'no recourse to public funds' or if they have overstayed their original permission to stay.

And on that point, truthfully how many migrants here do you think were homeless in their country of origin before they came here ?

Good point, I watched a documentary not too long ago on channel 5 called "gypsy on benefits and proud" They showed one of the claimants house back in Romania and the sat dish alone was the size of some bedsits over here. He said he was here to claim £40k in benefits and go back home. There was also another one who got her housing paid for but spent most of her time at her mums who only lived on the next street and again had her accommodation paid for by benefits.

I can understand the people fleeing from their countries because they fear for their lives but these people actually go back home on holidays, paid for by benefits!!!

On the face of it the requirements of priority appear to be in favour of locally based applicants but actually the links can be so tenuous and are in fact making the requirements loaded in favour of a migrant, and many councils strive to show on a statisical basis that they do not apply any "racial prejudice" on the allocation of social housing which invariably leads to the endorsement of minorities priority above other priorities.
Britain requires migrant workers, particularly for certain skilled jobs or working experience and it is only fair that the opportunity of social housing is available to those people and indeed can be used as an enticement to fulfil those vacancies, but we cannot sustain an open door situation where the "indigenous" population (and I do not mean "white only" by this I mean British) are secondary for the social needs requirements and are subject to much stricter investigations into background and financial standing.
We need to be realistic and acknowledge that the basis of these services were and are provided by the the payment of taxes and charges that were paid by a previous generation input and so true "local" connection priority needs to be applied.

Back