Banknotes & Counterfeit Deterrence - my scanner won't allow me to scan a bank note

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it's my scanner and I'll scan what i want too, scan what I want too....(old song here!)

just tried a £10.00 note and then got welcomed with the following message.

after all, it's my scanner, my money.....so if they know that I'm scanning bank notes (don't ask...lol) then is everything else that's being scanned secretly reported....

17-09-201223-34-57.jpg

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Every country has legal restrictions on the reproduction of banknote images. The counterfeiting of currency is a crime, and while restrictions vary from country to country, in some countries, any reproduction of banknote images – even for artistic or advertising uses – is strictly forbidden. Even in countries that allow some limited use of banknote images, there are specific rules and requirements. This website will provide you with information about reproducing banknote images and links to country-specific websites for further guidance.

While the overall economic losses to society from counterfeiting of currency are generally limited, the victims who suffer the most harm are individuals and businesses, because no one reimburses those who accept counterfeit notes. Counterfeit currency can also undermine confidence in the payment system, making the public uncertain about accepting cash for transactions.

The Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group (CBCDG) is responsible for this website. A counterfeit deterrence system (CDS) has been developed by the CBCDG to deter the use of personal computers, digital imaging equipment, and software in the counterfeiting of banknotes. The CDS has been voluntarily adopted by hardware and software manufacturers, and prevents personal computers and digital imaging tools from capturing or reproducing the image of a protected banknote. The technology does not have the capacity to track the use of a personal computer or digital imaging tools.
For information specific to a particular country or the banknote image you want to use, click on the appropriate region on the map or select the relevant country or currency from the list.

research purposes only

Last edited:
Re: Banknotes & Counterfeit Deterrence - my scanner won't allow me to scan a bank not

I've heard of that before :). I'm sure someone said their printer driver or whatever was printing SAMPLE across notes or something.

I can scan notes with my ancient scanner :).

Re: Banknotes & Counterfeit Deterrence - my scanner won't allow me to scan a bank not

never seen it before, just got my new scanner from under the desk as it was not getting used, really all I was going to do was photoshop a £10.00.

I have a really old scanner at work that might have to be brought home and plugged in.

Just a bit upset that it's my equipment and I'm not allowed, like everything, you can use it and do what you want with it, it's yours, as long as you do as we say but really it's ours.......lol

EPSON shiz.....

whens that batch of 20's gunna be ready like dibbs, im running out of them here ha!

Will it scan foreign money?

Will it scan a really bad drawing of money?

Coins? LMAO

Could be amusing :).

do it in half mate and then chop them together shouldnt see it as a bank note then
or use a scottish note .most english shops dont even take them so the chances of epson knowing thats
a bank note as very low infact away to test the missus epson all in one

I'll be looking into it and having a play, checked the tenner I got from "big-hol" and it looks real enough to me? ;)

17-09-201223-51-47.jpg

more scanning ahead me thinks..! I'll be firing al sorts at it now....

sottish one scanned no probs but i am not posting the pics someone might clone ma tenner

lol! it'll let me do half......is that a fiver then? ;)

scratch that....no it won't...lol

18-09-201200-01-56.jpg

what version of the epson scan program are you using
or is it like the all in ones that you just hit scan if so what version of printer and driver are you using

also try putting the note and then a magazine over the top of it
it cant be that clever to pick out the note then

Some copy protection in the software.

EURion constellation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it was a £50 I scanned and probably some of the various Scottish £20s years ago before this was added.

Seems there is more than just that constellation thing on the notes, something by Digimarc detects it.

Last edited:

Is it scanning the pic then checking the Internet to see is its allowed to be scanned? If so just disconnect it from the Internet. Other option is it checks the image from a file stored within the program and guess you could just delete that file?

What about scanning a passport???

i can see jail time hear lol

i can see jail time here lol

Dibb's will need more than a few bank notes when gorgeous George gets him in the laundry room.

Have you tried scanning using different software other than Epsons. You should be able to import using Twain driver and bypassing Epson. That's if the check is software based and not in the firmware and passed onto software as some kind of known flag.

@ turner yeah mate, tried the note in half, that's what you see in the image matey, half the note and it still won't let you do it.

Looking at my tenners they all seem genuine....lol

(it's not that important was just trying to photoshop one..so wasn't planning on going to the shops and trying to use them in the banks and the like....lol)

321.jpg

Last edited:

Mine will scan to pdf, but not to an image file,

Back